Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectI left this in the lakers’ season thread after having time to reflect.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=109421&mesg_id=109576
109576, I left this in the lakers’ season thread after having time to reflect.
Posted by allStah, Mon Jan-27-20 07:30 PM

Being from Chicago ( and a little bit of Brooklyn), I grew up watching a player that showcased an athletic and basketball ability that transcended anything that had ever been performed in sports. That player was Michael Jordan, and throughout the years on this board, I was one of the Jordan gatekeepers who would respectfully, but vehemently , verbally battle anyone who tried to put Kobe or any other player on the same platform as your air’ness.

Before Kobe, Lakers hate didn’t exist. Kobe is the reason why lakers hate came about. People used to love the lakers, solely because of Magic Johnson. Magic’s charisma, wholesomeness, laughter, and that bright, kool aid smile made it impossible to root against the lakers.

Magic retires. The Lakers go into a dull period, and then Kobe comes along. Immediately, Bulls fans saw the similarities. We saw the emulation. We saw Kobe walk like Jordan, talk like Jordan, and most of all play like Jordan. Before Kobe, there were a plethora of players who were labeled to be the next Michael Jordan, from Harold Miner to Grant Hill, and Jordan fans laughed at those expectations. However, with Kobe, he actually looked and played like Michael Jordan. It was a shocking revelation, and when he started winning championships and scoring titles like Jordan, it went from comparing Kobe to Jordan to Kobe possibly being better than Jordan. And that , my friends, is when Bulls fans had enough. Lakers and Kobe hate was born. And to add injury to insult, Kobe even lost his hair like Jordan, so there is a pre-bald Kobe period vs Kobe bald period, just like there is a pre-bald Jordan period vs bald Jordan period. He even played under the same coach, and played next to a player similar to Scottie Pippen in Lamar Odom. “ Does this dude have anything that’s original?”

After the lakers won their third championship during the Kobe era, everyday felt like a battle to protect jordan’s legacy. Everything was about Kobe, even to the point that the lakers decided to trade Shaq so that Kobe could have his own team. The basketball universe was changing, and we were clearly in the age of Kobe, and the NBA was finally able to move on from the void of Michale Jordan. It wasn’t a great period for bulls fans.

I didn’t want to see anything regarding the lakers or Kobe, and when the rape allegations came about, I was like “see, this dude is a bad character.” I was also hoping that was the end of Kobe and the comparison. I mean this dude even had a controversial period in his life just like Jordan, so how much of jordan’s life was he going to emulate? His entire life? So when the world turned on Kobe, and his image was adulterated, I stopped worrying about jordan’s Throne being challenged.

The rape allegations get dropped, and Kobe goes through somewhat of a quiet period in the media, and he just focuses on basketball. It is during this period where he goes on a scoring spree, another action similar to Jordan. This guy starts dropping 40 and 50 a game, and then he goes and have the 2nd most prolific scoring game off all time. And, of course, the “better than Jordan” argument resurfaces.

Kobe gets another shot at winning his 4th title, and throughout that entire series I woke up everyday hoping the lakers would lose, because lakers fans were beyond insufferable at that point. It was a great day in the universe when the Celtics beat the Lakers, and Kobe went out like a scrub. Bulls fans finally had the deciding and final word: “ Jordan never went out like that, and Jordan is 6-0 in championships.” And once again Jordan’s legacy was on top, and to never be challenged again....so we thought.

The following year the lakers came back as the Euro Lakers, and stronger than ever. Kobe goes on to win his 4th title, and the Jordan comparisons resurface, again! But bulls fans still had the upper hand: 6 rings and undefeated in championships! We good!
The lakers return to the finals the following season, and Kobe goes on to win his 5th title! WTF! Could this dude possibly win 6 rings? We will never hear the end of this if he wins 6 titles. I can honestly say that all of bulls nation was on emergency watch. The okay message board at that time was on full battle tilt.

However, the following year the lakers failed, and Kobe never returned to the finals again. Victory at last! Lakers nation finally realized that there is only one goat. Lakers hate went away and the universe was restored. Kobe retired and the lakers returned to mediocrity ( lol).

( Hopefully, in those statements, you get an understanding of just how great Kobe was...He wouldn’t go away).

After he retired, my view of Kobe was that he would probably be just like Jordan: Anal, narcissistic, arrogant, etc. However, it was quite the opposite. He was a caring, loving family man, got involved in film making and investments, and went on to teach the game to his daughter and other girls. He was open and communicative, and made several tv appearances. I liked and loved Kobe off the court more than I did on the court. He transitioned into an outstanding human being, and a person that I cheered and rooted for. He became a big brother and friend to so many young nba basketball players , and they loved him for it. To see so many nba players cry and show grief over his death is breathtaking, and the great stories they have of him is a testament of his humanness and approachable character.

He didn’t surpass Jordan on the basketball court, but he sure did surpass Jordan in personality and humanness. I’m going to miss that more than anything. I truly believe that Kobe and his daughter were going to change the WNBA.