Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectDoes anyone believe other athletes will follow in his footsteps?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=108590&mesg_id=108655
108655, Does anyone believe other athletes will follow in his footsteps?
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Sun Aug-28-16 07:24 AM
Let me be clear, I do think it takes courage to do what he did. I hope he's prepared for the response he will get. Unfortunately, he may have put his safety in jeopardy (knowing all the crazy right wing nut jobs out there).

There are plenty of pro athletes who have spoken out against police brutality/racism in the USA, but few to my knowledge who have actually went as far to protest the national anthem. Call me a cynic, but I don't think what he did makes him any more for the cause than other athletes who choose not to protest the national anthem. He will get tons of attention for the being the face of protest among pro athletes. So if his objective was to bring attention to his cause, then I applaud him for his efforts bc he definitely succeeded. Unfortunately, we all know the conversation will focus elsewhere though.

But uh...does anyone believe this will go anywhere besides the typical divisive racial conversation we as a nation have like every other month?