Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectclearly u dont-I wouldnt either if the last 4 were JuJuan/Sully/Fab/Kris
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=107474&mesg_id=107609
107609, clearly u dont-I wouldnt either if the last 4 were JuJuan/Sully/Fab/Kris
Posted by Bombastic, Wed May-08-13 04:42 PM
>and maybe he'll be a total fucking disaster.
>
>the point is that he's worked in a front office for ten years,
>including three as an assistant GM.

is that the point?

because Lance 'Shootin' Blanks, the bum they just tossed from the job had ten years or more, five with the Spurs & then five with the Cavs as 'Assistant GM'.

You or I have zero years experience but I bet both would have made better draft choices than the Sixers did over the past 25 years.

Stop acting like they're breaking atoms in there.

then he got hired as a GM.
>if i was hiring someone to be a general manager, background in
>scouting and, oh, being an assistant general manager would
>look nice on a resume. they're a team that's going to rebuild
>through the draft and that's his expertise, apparently.
>
>why on earth would grant hill, who was playing pro ball this
>season, be more qualified than someone who was AN ASSISTANT
>GENERAL MANAGER?

Why would Jerry West, Larry Bird or Danny Ainge be better at this job than Lance Blanks, Kevin Pritchard or Larry Harris?

is there even another example of a player who
>went from active to being in charge of trades, signing and
>contracts without any experience whatsoever?
>
there's plenty of guys that went into head coaching & GM slots without experience, yes, including several great ones.

But you're so hung up on the fact that he played in 26 games this season for 15 minutes per that somehow that eliminates his ability to evaluate the league he was playing (mostly sitting/watching much like the whole middle of his career) in for the past two decades.

That's funny to me.

>you suggested giving "final say" in a
>several-hundred-million-dollar company to someone who has
>never, ever, ever done any of those things. you'd be
>comfortable having grant hill negotiate deals with presti or
>r.c. buford? good god! come on man.

'Final Say' means exactly what it means, you make the final call with all the information your team assembled has come up with to that point, make a decision based on that along with your own knowledge/beliefs/research, pull the trigger & own it.

Yes I believe Grant Hill has the smarts along with having served 20 years in blood/sweat equity/firsthand-knowledge-of-the-league-from-inside-out that I'd want in charge of my corporation and think is far less a risk than some crumbumb sportswriter's son with a UNC journalism degree & some years as a go-fer in Boston due to who his daddy is.

Neither has been a 'CEO' buck-stops-here before.

There's actually no question in my mind who I'd rather have. There's hundreds of dudes doing or trying to do what McDonough has done.

Grant Hill on the other hand is one of the more unique individuals in the sport amongst his entire generation, I think giving him a shot would be a safer one plus have more upside.