Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectGoof for Ryan, but com'n
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=107474&mesg_id=107592
107592, Goof for Ryan, but com'n
Posted by calminvasion, Tue May-07-13 10:28 PM
I actually met Ryan a couple of times, even grabbed a bite with him, good dude. One of my boys in grad school was a fellow manager at UNC with him in undergrad. My man had a great hookup with the Celts while we were in Boston together and he took me to a couple of games (Floor seats at that, sadly might be the last time I get that kind of hookup, this was also the last year pre-KG so that might have been part of it)

The connect for the tickets wasn't Ryan (one of the very minority owners), but he would come down and kicked it at half time, and had dinner another time. he was a scout with the Celtics then. Seems like a smart hard working dude. No doubt he's put in the time.

BUT, come the f'k on, the notion that someone as smart as Grant Hill with 20 years of embedded NBA experience is some how dramatically less qualified than a guy who was a scout for ~5/Assistant GM for 3 is kind of ludicrous. I think RM will do well, but I think Grant would do just as well, and is smart enough to close the small gaps he may have and would arm himself with the appropriate people to help him close that gap.

Also, I like Ryan, broke bread with him ~ 6 yrs back, and my man speaks highly of him, but he got through the door because of nepotism, and who his father is, that simple. He made the best of it, and that's a big part off the reason he's a GM at 33, but the idea that he is such a superior more qualified candidate than Grant is insulting.