Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectI kind of want a retread
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=107175&mesg_id=107317
107317, I kind of want a retread
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Apr-28-16 02:20 PM
One, because this organization is a mess and a veteran coach would be able to manage the front office and a young team more effectively than a younger coach.

And two, Luke isn't ready, at least not yet. His run with the Warriors is very impressive, but hiring him would be the equivalent of the Seahawks signing Matt Flynn based on one good game with a different set of circumstances from most games.

I don't think that he didn't coach the team, but he probably had a lot of input and those games weren't close. That fact is important because he didn't have to make key in-game adjustments that he would have to make regularly with this team.

He also hasn't had to build a team from the ground up like he would have to in LA. As far as I know he wasn't a holdover from Jackson's staff and he likely mossed out on watching the team develop over time.

The coaches that might make the most sense would be Blatt and Monty Williams. Blast hasn't built a team, but he was chosen by the Cavs to develop that team sans LeBron and Love and while he wasn't a good fit with a superstar, he would be able to give a team a solid offensive offense approach. He might also be able to deal better with the press since he's from Europe and LA is a more cosmopolitan city than Cleveland.

Monty has overachieved every year and seemed to do well developing AD. He's not an LA vet and doesn't have the experience coaching in such a high pressure place, but he seems to be well liked and respected and also is young enough to relate to his players and be experienced and decent enough of a person to earn their respect.

Mark Jackson and van Gundy would be interesting as well. I think Jackson got a bad rep because he poorly managed his situation with the front office in Oakland. Maybe he's leaned to tone down his persona and work better with his management team.