Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectAll-Star. Stud. My favorite guard prospect since Kyrie.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=105821&mesg_id=105874
105874, All-Star. Stud. My favorite guard prospect since Kyrie.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jun-20-15 12:14 AM
I told people on this board at season's start I didn't trust OSU's prospects this year because they would have to rely so incredibly heavily on a freshman guard. While it turns out that I was right not to trust OSU this year, I was wrong that Russell couldn't deliver. He exceeded expectations-- it's just that the rest of OSU's roster underperformed from even my low expectations.

Russell's feel for the game is the best in the draft. You can just see him controlling the game. Haven't seen that in a freshman PG since Kyrie... or in any PG of any age with the pure skill that Russell brings to the table. His passing is next-level, his handles are disgusting, his wingspan is awesome for the position, and he can score in a variety of ways. He's not the greatest defender in the world-- but neither are Jah or Towns. You don't draft these guys as the top three players for their defense, because plenty of MVP candidates aren't defensive studs anyhow. He just needs to be competent, which he can be with a good coach-- he's got the IQ and the body to defend the position well.

If he ends up in the East, he could potentially be an All-Star as a rookie. Which feels weird to say... but the guard situation is so dire in the East, and he could put up those flashy ESPN Top 10 plays that get the national attention that get young guards into the ASG.