Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectbrotha I grew up in NJ, u kno u dont need to educate me on Saint Anthony
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=103191&mesg_id=103223
103223, brotha I grew up in NJ, u kno u dont need to educate me on Saint Anthony
Posted by Bombastic, Thu May-31-12 04:12 PM
I've been up on them since Matt Maloney was at Haddonfield, BobbyHurley/TerryDehere/RodrickRhodes/JerryWalker/etc were at St Anthony's, Mikey Edwards was at Eastern, Luther Wright was at Elizabeth & all were in the first Tournament of Champions ever.

My boys & I followed those squads like they were pro teams as kids.

What Bob Senior has done up there is historic.

That being said, St Patrick won the TOJ the year before Kyrie's senior year (when they were banned from postseason) & it was St Patrick that went into that game ranked #1 in the nation.

Michael Gilchrist was easily the most touted player in that game and probably in the country.

St Anthony was in a slight 'drought' title wise heading in.

Part of that outcome was Bob Hurley being a better coach than Kevin Boyle (who basically took a Godfather offer from some Florida sports factory fake-school right after that) but another reason was Myles Mack taking that game by the throat while MKG didn't assert himself offensively despite his team needing buckets.

That sequence of events basically turned the tide back to St Anthony's for the present & forseeable future.

But anyway, I got over that watching him at UK, I think he's gonna be a valuable player for a good team & play double-digit years in the league.