Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectbut it isn't.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=102658&mesg_id=102706
102706, but it isn't.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Mon Jul-21-14 02:18 PM
your argument is that lebron/love/irving wouldn't work because you'd still need a rim protector and you wouldn't have the money to go out and get one. that simply isn't true. you'd have to value-shop, sure, but you could find a guy for cheap who would suffice.

you couldn't do it year one -- they'd have to just make do with varejao + a stopgap vet-min type -- but next summer they have the full MLE, the BAE, and possibly 3 first round picks, minus whatever they'd move in the love deal. with those tools at their disposal, they can get decent rim protection. you're not getting hibbs or ibaka but you wouldn't need to. those guys make 8 figs annual b/c they also have significant offensive responsibilities, a bron/love/irving core would have that covered. they'd literally just need a guy to protect the paint, w/ no real scoring duties. guys like that are eminently available and affordable.

http://i.imgur.com/22Vr7tc.png

there's plenty of guys on that list that could be had w/ MLE money or less and who'd give them exactly what they needed. robin lopez, mahinmi, udoh, mosgov, withey, o'quinn, the aforeshitted-on biyombo and gobert. you might laugh at some of those names, but you might have laughed at joel anthony and chris andersen too. and it's not that i'm even endorsing those specific names, just pointing out the types of guys they could realistically target who would be more than sufficient. or if they decided to go the draft route, i named some guys earlier who went late 1st and 2nd rd. they wouldn't need an all star there, or even a guy who they'd depend on at all for scoring. just somebody to stand in front of the rim, alter shots and be a presence.

to paraphrase big boi, you don't worry about the wood grain steering wheel til after you get the rims. kevin love is the fucking rims, man. get him into the fold and worry about the accoutrements later. as i said in the other thread, the challenge of building around 3 top 20 guys is a *good* problem to have.