Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectWhat do you want out of a number one pick?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=102658&mesg_id=102659
102659, What do you want out of a number one pick?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Jul-17-14 10:14 PM
Ideally you want a player who will produce at a high level and be an important part of your team for multiple seasons, like five or more.

They are getting that in Love and they have to spend ZERO time developing him.

That wouldn't necessarily be the ideal thing for every time, but for a team that has LeBron on what is effectively a one-year contract but has the opportunity to have him for the rest of his career? Yes, you want that, you get that.

There is also the scarcity of opportunity. How many times does an all-star hit the market at 25? Very infrequently. I can't think of any examples under the last two CBAs (there were some guys who became all-stars, but not established ones).

The bottom line is this, if they acquire Love they are a more competitive team immediately. They have the opportunity have both him and LeBron for the rest of their prime. If they gamble and this group does not success, LeBron could opt out next summer and bail. So you could either have LeBron and Love for their entire primes or you could have neither and be back at square one within a year.

Not only do I think they should trade Wiggins--who I think will be an excellent pro--I would trade another asset with him to get it done. Bennett, Waiters, Thompson ... these are not irreplaceable talents. They have to get this done, but it's going to be a protracted thing. Minnesota also has to get it done because Wiggins is the best player they are going to get for Love. But neither side can be too eager, or they will lose the battle for peripheral assets.