Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectIt's all good, so lets discuss
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=101523&mesg_id=101612
101612, It's all good, so lets discuss
Posted by Dae021, Fri Oct-18-13 05:09 PM

>back to back penalties left this team's cap at 85% of the
>normal during the critical 3rd and 4th years of shanny's
>tenure. The impact of this on talent acquisition and their
>ability to build up the special teams roster cant be
>overstated.

Are you agreeing with me here? I can't tell.

>folks harp on this, but the players we had in the 4-3 were
>old, overpaid and about to be replaced anyway. Guys like Wynn,
>Griffin, and Daniels. If you are going to switch, doing in
>immediately when you are about to turnover the d-line anyway
>makes sense. Haslett prolly was a bad hire and needs to go,
>but the teams needs were immense from day one regardless of
>the scheme switch.
>
I think its a lot easier to find players to fill in spaces opposed to changing over the entire defensive scheme you're running. Some of the line were old but a guy like Kedrick Goldsten is and was never going to be a star, but he was good in that D, he has no place in a 3-4. They drafted for the 3-4 and have placed talent on the D line with guys like Stephen Bowen, Carriker (who still can't get right), Orakpo is overrated and I suspect he's been doping, but he's good not great. There's no way to front on Perry Riley, Kerrigan, and Even Rob Jackson. I'm good with that. I'm saying relation to an Offense that had no weapons and still doesn't you've spent a ton on the defensive side of the ball and with a bad coaching hire that effectively makes all those moves moot.

>Hank and Jarvis both had injuries that undermined their
>development. Morgan is overpaid, but not a bust depending on
>which offense kyle feels like running. Most of the dumb stuff
>they did was in year one with the mcnabb and jammal brown
>trades. After that, they've been solid despite limit
>resources.
>
4 years for Hank, at this point he's given almost nothing and if he doesn't find a way to produce and give more to the team, the Hank Experiment is over. Jarvis i'll give you as he was poised to have a break out year until his injury. Hank i don't have a lot of faith in as he doesn't get much separation and still after all this time still has suspect hands.

>If this is the team that shanny built in year 4 without the
>cap hits, i would agree with everyone that he is mediocre. But
>between the lack of picks early on and the inability to do
>anything in FA recently, to me shanny the GM gets a pass. We
>would have gone after antoine winfield with more money, could
>have signed a competent safety to compete with Rambo early on,
>and resigned Alexander. Those moves would have made a
>difference, but instead we have the same or worse problems
>that we had two years ago. Spending at an 85% cap level only
>goes so far.

I completely understand why you'd feel that way, I just dont' agree. There are glaring holes on the O Line that obviously they weren't able to address maybe due to the cap hit or because they believed in the guys they had. Griff's running ability completely masked their inability to pass block. You and i both know one thing Shanny does is believe in his lines, but this one isn't very good and that's been evident this year. I don't know if its just over confidence in a system or what, but that's an area that's been completely overlooked. Yea Morgan is overpaid incredibly, but as i've stated many times on the edge he's one of the best if not the best blocking wr we have. Problem is we pay him to catch passes as well and to this point in the season just hasn't done that. I agree the 85% has hamstrung this team incredibly. I'm just not going to give them as much of pass.

>I actually think he's been a better GM than coach. Kyle
>doesn't look like he knows what the eff he is doing out there.
>McNabb threw for a record number of yards, then we had the
>read option offense, then we had the traditional offense for 4
>games before switching back. The coaching is suspect. Hiring
>burns looks suspect now, and these questionable hires are the
>coaches fault.
>

He's good at finding gems in certain aspects of his system, but deficient in others. Here's the thing, the read option was fine, it worked incredibly well and griff never got hit while running it, he got hit playing hero ball and not getting on the ground. Say whatever you want about the scheme the shit was very effective. Kyle as an OC has never impressed me and I generally scream at him every week. They ran Danny Smith out of town, and now folks are screaming for the good ole days when he was here. The kat that's running that unit hasn't really gotten the players to buy in and its showing. Its early but at somepoint its no longer on the coaches the players have to step up. Special teams is a mess.

I'm sure Shanny will get another couple of years because of that penalties. If we get to year 6-7 and that O line still isn't able to protect and we're still not hitting on wrs then the finger is going to have to pointed squarely at Shanny.