Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectWeek 3 @ Home against the Detroit Lions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=101523&mesg_id=101569
101569, Week 3 @ Home against the Detroit Lions
Posted by Dae021, Tue Sep-24-13 02:45 PM
Where to start, well ok lets start with the Defense

- They got tired of seeing Baccari Rambo so out of place that they decided to hide him and go with a 1 safety base this week as Josh wilson as the one high. THINK about that, let that sink in, their base calls for 2 safeties, but the guys they have on the team at this position are so inept they chose their "best or 2nd best" (i use that term loosely) corner and put him at safety! It still didn't help because all of the big plays that happened because of miscommunication and poor game planning. I said this last year when I watched this defense get gashed, they were losing games on Wednesday. Other teams O Coordinators are watching film and calling the perfect plays against what our scheme is. It works perfectly, and it continues to work. The number of plays where there is a player running free in our secondary is amazing. Usually on 3rd and long plays, so that's coaching. To this point they've given up the most yards in NFL history. Again let that sink in. For all the love that Brian Orakpo gets he's done absolutely nothing, no pressure against the All Pro Offensive Front of Detroit, oh wait they're not all pro Rak just didn't do a damn thing. No pressure anywhere, other than in spurts, no pressure, the secondary is exposed and that's ugly. We're bad in man coverage, and horrible in zone because we don't read the routes right, either Perry or London may not get enough depth on their drop in coverage and that area is wide open. This is a bad unit kids and blame #1 needs to be leveled at our old friend Haslett. He needs to be held accountable, I know that no one wants to question Shanny but at somepoint we have to start looking at the historically bad defensive unit.

- The offense looks better, but tends to fall under the play calling of k. Shanny. They were running the ball really well and in a close game had the chance to continue running the ball, but let the Detriot D off the hook but not committing to the run. Then the poor execution doomed this team. The short of it, give Morris the ball and stop putting the game on Griff's shoulders

- Griff looks to be getting more comfortable taking those game speed snaps, but he's not himself yet. It has little to do with the running or throwing, but the thing that separated him from other young qb's and other qbs in general last year was his decision making. He didn't put his team in bad positions with poor decision making, this year he routinely puts his team in bad decisions with poor decision making.

Lets look at the two glaring mistakes from Sunday. First deep in Detroit territory escaping the pocket outside the tackle box with no one to throw to. There is only one play here "THROW IT AWAY" instead he holds the ball forever and at the last second makes desperate throw to the sideline that gets picked off. Taking sure points off the board. I believe this one led to a Detroit fg.

The next one and this is the most egregious. After making a great play to escape pressure and run up field for 22 yards Griff ignoring the rule slides head first and fumbles. When asked about this play later, he refers to the rule as silly. What I'd like to call silly is a player ignoring a SPECIFIC rule put in place to guard against something like this. All he has to do is slide feet first and the drive continues in a way that could put points on the board. There is momentum and the Detroit D is on their heels, instead of taking a lead or giving yourself a chance to win you decide against sliding feet first and give the game away.

- The wr corps is pretty bad people, Do you know who had the most yards from your wrs this past game? Pierre Garcon? NOPE, Josh Morgan, NOPE, Logan Paulsen, NOPE That would be Santanna Moss with 7 catches for 77yards. Garcon had 8 catches but Moss had more yards. Along with Aldrick Robinson's inexcusable drop this unit is not giving you enough to win games. If there were any other options at wide out I would say cut Robinson, but he's the only legitimate burner you have on the team but since he's a receiver his job is to catch the ball and he doesn't do that there's really no reason to have him on the team. If a kicker can't make kicks they cut him, same rules apply here with Robinson. SOMEONE ANYONE has to step up and catch a ball. Reed has a thigh contusion and I know Fred mysteriously showed up on the injury report with an ankle sprain, he's upset Reed is taking his snaps and I assume this is his way of protesting. They HAVE to make plays, we're getting almost nothing from them outside of Garcon and moss. DO better

- We're a bad team, we make mistakes bad teams make to lose games. We commit a lot of penalties in situation where it mkes an already bad play 15 yards worse. We're that team.

- We've gotten NOTHING from our return game, absolutely nothing this new kid is about worthless and we need to find a spark. I'm at the point of calling Brandon Banks back to get something going. If Niles straight ahead paul isn't returning kicks then fuck it just kneel and start at the 20.

- If they don't get a win against the Raiders season is almost effectively over. They better hope Tyrell Prior's concussion is strong enough to keep him out next week, because if its not we're in for a long game next week in Oakland.