Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectHe got way more than a fair shake in LA....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=100451&mesg_id=100461
100461, He got way more than a fair shake in LA....
Posted by Ink_Spot, Mon Aug-13-12 02:10 PM
- They went out on a limb for him as a fat 17 year old. They saw a potential no one else saw (at least the 9 picks before him)

- They hung onto him when they had a chance to get a couple of stars (Kidd, Melo) who were major at the time that could have contributed more to their championships runs at the time, and refused to make trade offers that were clearly offered to them. They believed Bynum was the future of the franchise.

- They stuck by him through his injury plagued seasons and never made money an issue, he always got his extensions with no haggling.

- Phil wanted Bynum to dedicate himself to the defense, and protect the middle and grab boards. He also was very lazy at showing on pick and rolls. Bynum was more concerned about his offensive game, which truthfully, if he beasted on defense, he could have averaged a lot more. Bynum was notorious for taking games off on defense, which was baffling when you saw the rare games that he brings it and shows you his mindblowing potential. He wouldn't grab boards, box out, do the little things. He just wanted to shoot (I admit he has a wonderfully refined offensive game). They even upped him in the foodchain by having more plays called for him and sacrificing Pau (playing him in a position he was not comfortable in) to make sure Bynum was the man on offense.

- Lastly, just as he was having his best season, and the Lakers were ready to hitch their wagon to him, he started showing more of his immaturity. It was one thing to show it against teammates, or his coach, but to be nonchalant against a management (specifically Jim Buss), who had his back all along, made them rethink their stance.

All that said, I really loved Bynum, and still do. The Lakers once balked on trading Bynum for Howard straight up, but as last season played out to a close, they had to. I wish Bynum the best. I would like to see him beast on both ends, and learn how to play out of double teams (he sucks at it). I think he will have a stellar career (barring injuries). I also always love him for playing with one leg through 3 championship runs. But he did get a fair shake in LA.