Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectI'm not sure whether their recent success proves or disproves
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86868&mesg_id=87019
87019, I'm not sure whether their recent success proves or disproves
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Nov-01-10 08:48 AM
my opinion on the trade. Agendas aside for the moment (I'm no fun).

With Moss they were sitting at 3-1, and looking like a very flawed team for reasons that had little to nothing to do with Moss. The trade itself seemed like a "We're giving up on the season" move when they weren't in a position where that made sense. As I said at the time, with the little we got for him and with the NFL being so wide open, there was no reason to make the trade unless he had truly become that unhappy, and I didn't think that was the case. Every team looked flawed (and continues to look flawed), so perhaps the D figures it out and we somehow get into the SB.

That point still holds true, but they've also looked better without Moss. But I'm not convinced it's because of him just yet. They have a more balanced attack, but they're scoring less at the same time.

I still want to see how they perform against the Steelers and Jets before I anoint them. They don't have great stats, they've still only faced two good teams and a good team with a bad record (Chargers, not Vikings. Vikings are officially bad now), and they've only won one game w/o sweating it out at the end. Then again, the worry with past teams was that they didn't have those kind of tests earlier in the season.

Maybe I'm not giving enough credit to the people saying that the Moss situation was unmanageable. I highly doubt that was the case, but I'll allow for the possibility. With or without the locker room factor I'd say they were looking like, at best, a 2nd round exit team with Moss. So if they get to the AFC championship game or beyond I'll say the trade was worth it. If not, I'll maintain my view that it wasn't.

Btw, I only read the transcript, but his vow to ask himself the questions and then answer them in the press conference is great. i love Randy.

edit: just for the record, I'm happy with where they're at, I just like overanalyzing things.