Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectWarren Cool gameplan vs Country Rap
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=38418&mesg_id=38457
38457, Warren Cool gameplan vs Country Rap
Posted by bigpo, Mon Apr-03-06 10:05 AM
Defensive Gameplan..

My starting guards will play man straight up against West and Drexler....Hal Greer guarded Jerry West many times during their career and was considered very much on the same level as West and Robertson at the time. The fact that neither West nor Greer are true point guards will cancel out any ball handling problems. George Gervin will start on Clyde Drexler. Although they are the same height, Drexler is slightly quicker, and this may result in some adjustments. Being that Shawn Marion is not really a threat from the outside, and he and George Gervin are the same height basiclly, I may put James Worthy on Drexler, and Gervin on Shawn Marion for periods of time.

I would have Karl Malone guard Brad Daughtery, and Moses Malone guard David Robinson. The reason for this is that we are going to run some very aggressive trapping defenses with Karl Malone being the main guy to bring double teams and traps. Daughtery is less of an offensive threat than David Robinson, so having Karl be the helper is the best move. Moses Malone is a physical low post defender and will not require help guarding David Robinson. It’s believed that if Moses begins to abuse Robinson on the board, and in the post...Robinson will become less of a factor.

Regarding my substitutions, I will utilize a smaller, quicker line up at times that will play some pressing defense. With Gus Williams, and Hal Greer in the backcourt, this will add to the quickness.

Offensive gameplan

With the aggressive style of defense, this team is going to try and push the ball as much as possible. Both Hal Greer and Gus Williams are guards who are efficient and can lead fast breaks....and with two of the best wing finishers in the game in Karl Malone, and James Worthy, this team will run. 2 of the greatest rebounders, and outlet passers in Karl Malone, and Moses Malone, we’re going to break as much as possible.

In the half court offense, we’re going to run a lot of High-Low’s, and pick and rolls. Every player in my starting 5 is very efficient in the low post. With Moses Malone being one of the most dominant post players ever, this will allow Karl Malone to roam, set picks, play facing the basket, and shooting jumpers. George Gervin is really the only “ball-dominating” offensive player on my team, and his size will be an advantage. My primary 3 point shooters are Gervin, and Gus Williams, with Karl Malone, and James Worthy taking open 3’s when needed. Hal Greer will attempt to penetrate as much as possible relying on his outstanding midrange game, and his success at getting big guys the ball down low (ala his years with Wilt). James Worthy and George Gervin will be the primary Isolation players due to their ability to take guys off the dribble.

My goal would be to pound the ball inside to Moses Malone, allow him to dominate..get offensive rebounds, and get to the free throw line. Again, we feel that Daughtery and Robinson can be worn down by the stronger Malone brothers.

As far as the Subs....Gus Williams is my change of pace guard....scorer with great effeciency and scoring ability. Bob McAdoo will play some small forward, power forward or even center. And when he comes in the game, he’s going to shoot the ball, and will get bigger players away from the basket, and post up smaller players. The YOUNG Arvydas Sabonis will get time, causing incredible mismatches due to his 7’3 frame, his quickness, passing and scoring ability. We plan on using what we call a WWF lineup with The Malone brother, and Sabonis on the court at the same time. Although big, that is still a very athletic lineup. I would have no qualms about having Karl guard Marion.

Basiclly, we’re going to apply a great deal of pressure, and push the ball whenever possible. Substitute freely to stay fresh. In the half court game, pound the ball inside...get to the paint, finish or kick it out to Gervin, or any of the other great scorers.