Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectRebuttal
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=38418&mesg_id=38433
38433, Rebuttal
Posted by KingKahn, Wed Mar-29-06 12:35 PM
First off - in regards to calling your bench "green", well, relatively speaking they are. None has championship experience... hell, only one has any playoff experience. And yeah... Elton's smaller than Cowens.

If you decide not to double, you'll get murdered by Mike, McHale and my 3's. There's only one defensive stopper on your team, and if you intend to man up, then "defensive guru" Mourning is gonna be out on the perimeter defending Ewing and Big Red while McHale wrecks shop inside and my slashers get to the hole at will. BTW - McHale will get his from anywhere in the post, and has a history of giving Barkley absolute fits.

Saying we can't stop you from running is a horrible argument... I've got a versatile, athletic, high-energy defense that will be able to impose its will on the tempo of the game. If you're banking on making me take Michael off Reggie to guard Magic... that's fine... Reggie, meet all-time defensive great John Havlicek and get locked down on your way out the door... Reggie will be having fits all game. I wouldn't put too much stock into the screen thing either. Unlike many of the current NBA, everyone on my perimeter (save Fats) was a great defender, knew fundamentals, and could rotate effectively, which can negate sending Reggie through triple screens or whatever.

I'm not gassed off his bench at all - his big men have frankly never had to face anyone as good as McHale or Ewing in their primes in a big game, and can also be checked by Cowens who was no slouch himself. Hondo gives me some much needed versatility, as I'm confident in him guarding 1-3 on the opposition so I can put him on Reggie if Mike's guarding Magic or Magic if Mo can't handle him, etc. etc.