Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectRECAP OF KOBES PRESS CONFERENCE:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=28886&mesg_id=29102
29102, RECAP OF KOBES PRESS CONFERENCE:
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jan-23-06 02:13 AM
Recap for those that missed the press conference

Kobe says it really hasnt sunk in (scoring 81) He said hed feel sick as a dog if they lost this game

Never thought in his dreams he would score that much. It just happens. Its one of those things. lol

Such a blessing to play for the Lakers org.

when asked when he knew he was feeling hot... said it wasnt until Lamar reminded him of how many points he could go for when he said to himself "Oh Sh--"

he feeds off the crowd and its good to put on a show for the fans. they saw him grow up now theyre seeing him as an older young man.

it really hasnt set in that he scored 81. its all about the W. thats why he turned it on (in the 3rd) then it just turned into something special. wanted to keep riding the wave and demoralize oponents and "just turned into this" says he cant admit to grasping the importance of a night like this yet. hasnt sunk in.

phil and him are on the same page. he knows calls before phil even makes calls. they just connect like that. "its like on some Jedi type of thing" (smiles). phil and him have been through so many battles.he plays the game to try and please phil. "if hes happy with my performance, it makesme happy because i learned the game from him. he taught me how to play. if im not playing the right way.... if hes dissapointed, i take it pretty hard." phil told kobe he was proud of the way he played tonight. it makes him feel good to hear that from phil.

Reporter asks: "Kobe are you sure the 81 points wasnt just a distraction from keeping us from asking you about those two missed free throws"
Kobe:"Ah, I was pissed about that!, Ah dude, I was so pissed (shaking his head smiling) "i wanted to continue that streak... but then... "I CHOKED" lol

Reporter asks does it put it in perspective to think that Michael Jordan never had a night like this?
Kobe: "nah, not really. ive been compared to him so many times and I just wished they would Just STOP. you know what i mean? Just Stop. he was Michael Jordan, Im Kobe Bryant, were two different players. i wish people would let it go. it really Annoys me. (laughs a little)
Reporter: "Why"
Kobe:you cant compare what im doing to what hes doing. hes one of the greatest players, if not THE greatest player of all time. its not fair for us as a youger generation to constantly be compared to such Greatness. from myself to LBJ and other young players, youre talkin about Magic, MJ, these guys . .. we cant measure up to them. its important for us to go out there and play the game we know how to play and hopefully people will enjoy what we do as players and not compared to what theyve done.

"THeres no comparison. Hes Jordan and Im Kobe. I wish people would stop trying to measure up what i do in comparison to what hes done. Let what i do just speak for itself.

Compared to Dallas, the points tonight were more gratifying cause "we needed them". lakers were down and needed to get out of hole they were in. "the points i put in the basket were instrumental for regaining that momentum and energy. It means way more (than the dallas game)

"i trained my but off this summer. i went pedal tot he metal. conditioning wise im ready (to take on the world :) ) i prepare myself for every game...i call Kwame and Chris my offensive line. they set incredible screens for me to free me up... its a collection of things. not just me scoring. i need help from my teammates.they set excellent screens for me. great passes. without them i couldnt score 81 points."
(Continued)
BORROWED FROM FATSAMS RECAP(Thanks FATSAM, hope its OK)

Magic said he'd seen a lot of basketball, but he'd never seen anything like this, he's proud of Kobe, don't listen to others criticizing him, just know I'm here to support you and I've got your bacck through everything.

Can you score 100?

Kobe:: "Oh, dude, are you kidding me? I guess it's possible, I don't know. That's unthinkable. It's exhausting to think about it."

Teammates & staf are asking Kobe to autograph stats sheets & such. Tremendous honor.

Reporter: "You have four days off -- you going out to celebrate?"

"Tonight I'll go home and gget some more therapy on my ankle and knee. Them tomorrow, make breakfast, watch cartoons -- Tom and Jerry."
Natalia is waiting for Daddy to give her her bath. Kobe laughs and leaves the podium.