Go back to previous topic
Forum nameFreestyle Board Archives
Topic subjectNPM Lesson 5: Poetry Theory 101
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=20&topic_id=6147&mesg_id=6147
6147, NPM Lesson 5: Poetry Theory 101
Posted by delrica, Tue Apr-08-03 06:01 AM
Ok...so this post is going to be a little different. I'm going to hit you with Discount Delrica's cliff notes on items such as poetry's definition, modes or writing, levels of poetry as well as definitions to help you along.

Why you ask?

Simple! Because you are all writers and funny enough, in my research, even our emcees are poets based on "poetic" theories and types.

So... even though this targets our poets moreso than our emcees, to help you all understand your respective crafts a little better, I will be giving you some information out this really good reference book called "The Book of Forms" (which when accompanied w/ its partner, "The Book of Literary Terms"...is straight power). Some of this will be paraphrased as I didn't feel like typing everything out verbatim. All definitions will follow in the responses to this thread.

I hope this is helpful to at least one if not more than one of you.

Peace

p.s. I don't know this stuff off the top of my head and I'm not trying to be a know it all. This is a learning process for me as well, so I figured I'd share what I'm learning with you. (just in case this is running through anyone's head...i just needed to let you know the deal).