Go back to previous topic
Forum nameFreestyle Board Archives
Topic subjectBasicly, on the surface, she is right.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=20&topic_id=15706&mesg_id=15732
15732, Basicly, on the surface, she is right.
Posted by Instant_Vintage, Sun Apr-10-05 11:25 AM
if you take society as the main judge. Yes, there are zillions of folk out here taking jobs out of my pocket doing graphic design because they got a hold of photoshop and are undercutting the hell outta me, a man with a BFA. Not only that , but a prime example of what she said is this guy I attended the Art Institute of Atlanta with. He could not draw blood with a knife or a straight line with a ruler. However, once he got on the computer, dude could not be denied. His first job out of college, with an associates in Graphic Design, paid him 65k a year. So in the sense of what she said, she is right. HOWEVER, I believe that the true measure of an artist, is the ability to interweave thier creativity with the rules and functions of that forms past.

Poetry is an even tougher subject because right now it is trendy as hell. I think "poet" is a title earned not taken. It is never more evident than at open mic nite. Everybody gets up there and speaks a poem they wrote, only a few get up there and share a poem that they lived. You hear poetry, but you listen to a poet.