Go back to previous topic
Forum nameFreestyle Board Archives
Topic subjectSamara The Suicide Fairy Pt. 1
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=20&topic_id=13136&mesg_id=13137
13137, Samara The Suicide Fairy Pt. 1
Posted by KnowOne, Mon Mar-01-04 09:28 AM
Samara The Suicide Fairy Pt. 1

It was an utterly boring party. Josh couldn't see anybody he knew, and he wasn't one to mingle. Besides, everyone around him was either drunk or stoned out of their minds. And he simply wasn't in the mood.

As he plowed through the crowd to leave, his eye caught sight of some bright color in this dim room off to his left. A quick flash of neon green.

He looked again, but the green was gone. But something else caught his eye. Someone.
She was small. In every way you could say it. She was very thin, short, short hair, small hands. And was huddled in the corner of the dark room on her knees. And yet, no one had approached her. She had plenty of room to move, even though everyone else
was crammed together.

She was wearing a black sundress, and a long black scarf with long black gloves on the floor behind her. Then, suddenly, he realized where the green flash had come from. She had the greenest eyes. Green like fields of grass, like jade, like neon lights in the dead of night. Hearing him approach she quickly put on her long black gloves, covering her hands and arms. Before he could speak there was a sudden blood-curdling scream from down the hall. Probably a fight or someone having a bad trip, Josh assumed. Though crying she gave him a crooked smile at him and as she turned around, he saw that her dress dipped low on her back, exposing a black and green tattoo: two delicate butterfly wings. Upon rising she rushed past him exiting the room.

As if hypnotized, he followed her through the house, his eyes never leaving the tattoo until they both ended up alone in the kitchen. While others rushed to the sound of the commotion, she sat on the counter and he stared at her.

"Hi." she said softly.

"Hello. I'm Josh."

"I know."

Josh shook himself. This wasn't how conversations usually went.

"Wha … What's your name?"

"Samara……." she mumbled.

She was obviously saying nothing more, so he thought of leaving, but as he did, he heard her voice.

"No, don't leave, please!" she whispered. " I'm afraid to live."

Josh was so surprised by this he turned around in a hurry. "To live?……Most people are afraid to die…"

"Oh no." said the girl, interjected with a childish giggle. " I've died so many times, it doesn't even scare me anymore. But LIVING….that’s hard. I really need your help."

"My help? You've died many times?" Josh was totally confused….yet intrigued.

"Follow me." And she led him out of the house just as an ambulance arrived.

He followed her, as she led him down the street and around the corner. He was so mesmerized by her, he didn't notice till they arrived that she had been leading him to his own apartment.

"How do you know I live here? I don't understand any of this."

Before his eyes, Samara opened his door, even though he knew he'd locked it.

"What are you?" he asked, as she walked in.

"Very afraid, Josh….very afraid…."

Suddenly he thought he saw something in her…..a child like quality. And ignoring all rational thought…his heart melted away like ice cream under a summer sky.

He took her into his arms, and led her to the couch. She sat there, slightly whimpering. All he could do was hold her.

"Tell me what it is to live?" she said softly, looking up in his eyes, dead serious.

He thought for a while.

"Well, it starts out with being born."

"But I never was…" her eyes filling up with tears.

Ignoring the impossibility of this he replied….
"Well, it's not that important of a step anyway. I mean you’re here already right. Do you eat and breathe?"

Samara took a deep breath. In that moment her realized that he hadn't heard nor seen her breathing earlier. He dismissed it.

"You're right. I do feel better now."

"Good….just imagine how you’ll feel to eat. Wait here, alright?"

He went into the kitchen to get some chocolate. *She'll love this. What am I doing? Introducing eating and breathing? Am I going crazy? Just how much did I have to drink?*

When he came back in the living room, she was gone. Sleep didn’t come easy that night….