Go back to previous topic
Forum nameFreestyle Board Archives
Topic subjectRE: loving jezebel- a journal entry
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=20&topic_id=11738&mesg_id=11767
11767, RE: loving jezebel- a journal entry
Posted by Iconoclast, Wed Jun-30-04 06:06 AM
paperdoll- thx for sharing...journaling is such an underappreciated art...mine below

music: Coltrane's Favorite Things
incense: nag champa
mood: nostalgia

i'd asked for a recipe 3 weeks ago.

somewhere between how dad was getting on, the backyard fence needing mending, the tomatoes needing tending and how hot it was in the south...we got on rice and stew or jollof rice w/steamed veggies and 3rd world ingredients that make 3rd world food taste divine. i miss my village...

corrected my pronounciation of certain spices...my grasp of my language is...slippin'...America's legacy...i digress

the politics of work had my day ending on a bleak note...mom's handwriting on the package cheered me up...she'd heard of email and used it frequently but always insisted on writing me...my appreciation knows no bounds...

included with the jollof rice recipe was old mail...
yellow post it: "these were sent to the house"
accoutrements of commercial living:
bills, invitations to sign up for a credit card,
student loans, courtesy b-day cards from insurance co. etc...
same shit, different toilet

another post it: "got this from walmart-I think it was mixed up
with my rolls of film"

opened package to see--

you

i've never been one for interruptions nor appreciated interruptions- invited or otherwise

but there it was: the blazing reality that we had happened
set out in chronological photographic evidence

as beautiful as ever; as mysterious as ever; as you as ever...

and as vividly as if it were 3 seconds ago, i tasted you...briefly, fleetingly...a smile curling the corners of my mouth...i remember

we'd held each other and laughed and we were a pair...weren't we?
new orleans: our playground and classroom; wandering Congo Square, walking along Bourbon, fuckling on my salvation army bed. i'd discoverd jazz, black n' white photography, gumbo, bayou politics,tangerines, pralines and second lining that summer...

things i'd always known but discovered again...it was always new orleans...and nigeria; funny how we found home in each other's embrace but were too stubborn to acknowledge it...

did we blame it on the stars? a pisces/aries cuspian w/ a taurus...or somesuch
as i said same shit, different toilet

it's raining outside

i looked...happy; fuck, I was happy...just wasn't man enough to know it or did I? memory is a funny thing, because somehow I'd forgotten just how much you made me FEEL. wonder what happened? snatches of time shared...damn photographs...was I too proud? we never had a harsh word...just cast apart on life's currents. what happened?

where are you now?

i really wouldn't mind being interrupted right now...

i wish you could interrupt me...again...

Kinda hungry now, i'll try out momma's recipe...