Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectSince when do we judge albums by their covers??????
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=9634&mesg_id=9654
9654, Since when do we judge albums by their covers??????
Posted by PoeticPhaerie, Sat Oct-26-02 04:02 PM
I will buy that album regardless of what it looks like...surely that is a secondary issue when compared to content. I'll be the first to admit that it looks strange and his facial expression is a little disturbing, but look y'all it's his album - he can do what he wants. And yes, I agree it is very Midnight Marauders reminiscent. If we started judging music via album art just think how many rap albums would never sell. As for "I got a Right Ta" I think it grows on you with repeat play. It is jangling when you first hear it and feels out of step with the Common of old (The Mary J track is more like it...some "The Light Pt.2" type shit) The question here is whether "I got a Right Ta" is out of sync with the rest of the album? If not, then why drop it? The job of the artist is to challenge is audience - obviously some of you find this joint too challenging!

"Time alone, oh time will tell....dem think dem in heaven but dem livin' in hell" Bob Marley

"And even after all my logic and my theory I add a muthafucka so you ig'nant niggaz hear me." Lauryn Hill