Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: and another thing.........................
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=9065&mesg_id=9110
9110, RE: and another thing.........................
Posted by olujosh, Fri Mar-07-03 12:57 PM
I drove from Lansing, MI to see the show and it was WELL worth the price of admission and THEN SOME...

CRAZY SHOW! Quite possibly one of my all-time fav's...I started out in the front, but somehow ended up 3 or 4 "rows" of people back...(due in large part to a woman nearly 3 times my size squeezing her way in front of me...doncha hate that?)...

One of my few OVERALL MINOR criticisms (1) maybe it was my "section" but I always feel like I get stuck in the part of the crowd that just isn't INTO it as much as I am...could just be me... (2) I was expecting more collabos...maybe Floetry rockin' with Common for "The Light" or "Love Of My Life" ...although T3 and Kweli joining Common on stage was enough to take care of me tho'....

Floetry - pretty good. I really like what they do, and having bought the album a few weeks prior, I think they have a LOT of potential. I think what hurt them was that it seemed like 70 percent of the crowd seemed to be hearing them for the first time, so that always hurts the atmosphere.

Gang Starr - excellent! I think the "name that tune" section that Primo did dragged on a bit...but the show was pretty hot overall. The dude from the Training Day soundtrack was a nice addition...Guru and co. tackled all the big songs, a nice mix. Lookin' forward to their new joint - I think I heard MAY 2003 as a release.

Kweli - what can I say? He's Talib Kweli. He ripped it. (MC SERCH declared him "The best M.F. shit I have ever seen") And I'm one of the many who doesn't know "Invincible"--she was damn good! I'm from Lansing, so I guess word hasn't spread outta Detroit yet

Common - I saw his show in Chicago not too long ago at the House Of Blues, this one was pretty much the same, but having T3 and Kweli come out to rock with him was an added bonus...the DJ part of the show was JAW-DROPPING, Common knows how to rock a live show...

The show ran (including in between shows) from 7:30 until about 12:15, I could tell the "out of shape" portion of the crowd seemed to die down late in the Common show (or some of us who are a bit out of shape, but we're so caught up with the hot show that we were able to ignore our sore legs)