Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecti see where DP is coming from
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8610&mesg_id=8764
8764, i see where DP is coming from
Posted by Oblivionisalie1984, Sun Mar-23-03 10:03 AM
First thing first, this is my first post so let me say Hello What up, What the deal, or what have you to everyone, and say that Im a white New Yorker who is a fan of Dead Prez. I like DP becuase there one of the few musicians who are making statments within in their music,if this was the 60s when everything seemed to embrace a political message I doubt I would be listening, and what they do is great - I just wont be growing dreads anytime soon.
Yes it is weird to see a bunch of white kids dancing around to "Im an Africa", which has a solid beat that is great for stepping to, but the reason for DP's troubles is that the average kid living in the inner city really dosen't want to pay $35 to see them or buy their album. Altough at the same time DP should be replacing every 50 cent album in the hood. Here's my point though if DP really wants to reach out to a bigger more black audience they should be doing more community outreach type shows - Central Park Summer Satge may be a good place to start. Also I'd like to add that I will never pay more then $18 to see a show anyway and thats why Atompshere and Aesop Rock have been so sucessful - their shows usually cost anywhere from nothing to like $10 bucks, so maybe if DP really wanted a wider following they should lower there ticket prices, or even better take advantage of the messed up situation in Iraq and boost some free publicity.
- jae parker - in search of truth, wisdom, and serentiy