Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: truth hurts and sucks
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8610&mesg_id=8721
8721, RE: truth hurts and sucks
Posted by BossPJ, Thu Mar-20-03 05:10 PM
I understand the dissapoint black people feel upon the realization that it's mostly white people that are supporting their music. But music is music, right? I think that's the most important question to ask ourselves. If you close your eyes and listen to music, you can't tell if the people performing are black or white unless you've been conditioned to know what "black" or "white" music is--which of course, we all have been. Let's put it in most logical terms: Should I not enjoy the Roots' music simply because I'm white? Should the Roots stop playing music simply because whites are predominantly listening to it? The answer is (I think): Of course not.

And as for "delivering the message," wouldn't the future be brighter if the "black message" is reaching the white audience, which is presumably the group the blacks are oppressed by or feel resentment for? It only makes sense that reaching the black audience with the "black message" is preaching to the choir, as the cliche goes. Just a random thought that perhaps blacks and whites desperately need to understand each other before the racial situation can improve.