Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Dead Prez VS. The Roots
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8610&mesg_id=8701
8701, RE: Dead Prez VS. The Roots
Posted by temps, Wed Feb-26-03 05:17 AM
It's kind of funny to me reading the posts about the subject. Mostly the people who are concerned about whether or not DPz is anti-white or concerned about their views of white people are white people. Wondering, "do they like us or not" Who cares, this is just the problem. DPz are artists and activists and they are making empowering hip hop music to get their message out and speak to people of color all over the world. They are not making music for white folks and they are not generally concerned with what white folks think of them or their music, but instead of supporting it and leaving it at that, their white fans, on this post and in general are more concerned if they are liked by DPz rather than taking their messages in and maybe going out there are doing something about the injustices they speak of or spread their messages.

and, as a white individual, I don't think they are anti-white or racist. I agree with most of what they are saying. I've met m-1 and stic.man, I've read a lot of interviews with them and have been to a couple of their shows and I've listened to all their music. Yes, they say things about white people, they say crackers and talk about white cops, etc. but they are referring to the racist, oppressive whites that exist and that have opressed people of color for so long. I don't have a problem with them using the word "cracker" as that word refers to a racist white person. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the word "cracker" was derived from a white slavemaster cracking a whip against a slave. sure calling a white person a cracker to some might be the equivalent of using the "N" word, but cracker carries such less historical meaning and significance in this world. DPz has a right to harbor a lot of anger and say the word cracker and a connotation for racist whites.

When DPz talk about white folks in their music they talk about the racist ones. when they said "running up on the crackers in they city hall" they talk about the white government officials that have and continue to lead a government that still enforces racist and discriminatory laws and policies.

In their interviews DPz has said they are not all anti-white, but they make music for black folks and they expect black folks to be at their shows and be the majority of their audience because their message speaks on issues affecting themselves and other people of color. They have said they appreciate their white fans and the white activists and have said there is a place for white people in the social justice movement, but not always at the forefront. They said this is a movement to free Africans and people of color and white people can be involved as long as their motives are the right ones and not involved for credibiilty or to be recognized as doing something good. What I think they are referring to is the history of so called liberal whites who instead of fighting for these causes on the frontlines as many people of color do, they are the ones donating money instead and gettting their names in the paper or are getting the media attention as do a lot of wealthy hollywood white folk. enjoy them for their music, but more for their message, don't take what they are saying for granted, otherwise go buy a Ja Rule record.

anyway, these are just some of my thoughts, sorry about the length of the post.

peace.