Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Dead Prez VS. The Roots
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8610&mesg_id=8693
8693, RE: Dead Prez VS. The Roots
Posted by dafilmmaker, Tue Feb-25-03 05:56 PM
Well argued points in your last post… I guess what I feel is that while I love for my favorite artists to keep making the music that I enjoy, I also want them to elevate and change with the times. But the Musicians with the most longevity are the ones that never lose their core audience while they GRADUALLY make a transition. Artists like Outkast and The Roots have done this.

The DPz can do whatever they want with their career and music. I just think it strange that given how difficult it is to break through with ANY kind of large audience in the music biz, why turn your back on your fans and supporters by saying “we don’t like the people that are liking us so we gotta start all over. And by the way, don’t mention us in the same sentence as those pesky ‘conscious rappers’ that sell white people like.” I know that that was not a direct quote, but that sums up the impression I’m getting from them so far.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if that is the core of what happened with the D’Angelo vs. The Roots situation...