Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectAs "other" ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8610&mesg_id=8637
8637, As "other" ...
Posted by halfthejob, Wed Feb-26-03 06:15 AM
>How do you identify yourself?

... Whenever I have to bubble-in one of those "ethnicity" titles, I bubble-in "other." That's how I identify ...

... If you want to take this issue further, though, we're going to end up getting into theology. There are some schools of belief that trace the origins of the physical manifestation of "me," and there are others who see the physical manifestation of "me" as being less than important. This school of belief does not see "me" and "this body" as being synonymous ...

... But, this is getting away from the issue. What we're talking about is the fact that you cannot be half-pregnant; you either are, or you're not. Similarly, you either live by the belief that one's skin color, ethnicity, or culture allow you to generalize intelligence, ability, or character qualities of that person, or you don't. Any logic you follow which says, "Well, you can generalize these things about these folks, and those things about those folk, but you can't generalize anything about my folk," is flawed ...

One Love

halfthejob timothy
(aka timo one)

what spins:
spearhead: home
raphael saadiq: instant vintage
the flying preacher: dub atomic particles (8/04/02, wncw-spindale)

My Favorite Releases of 2002:
DJ Jazzy Jeff - "The Magnificent"
The Roots - "Phrenology"
Life & Debt - "O.S.T."
Little Brother - "The Listening"
John Forte - "I, John"
J-Live - "All Of The Above"
Nas - "The Lost Tapes"
KRS-One - "The Prophets vs. Profits Mixtape"
Prince - "One Night Alone ... Live!"
Common - "Electric Circus"
Dead Prez - "Turn Off The Radio, The Mixtape Volume 1"