Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectcovering my arse
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8461
8461, covering my arse
Posted by qoolquest, Wed May-21-03 10:01 AM
so i got into it last night in portland.

i was rushing to this outdoor sports store to cop a jacket.

i saw some cats at the backstage gates holding some posters and magazines, etc. so i figured that despite my rush i would stop and sign some things.

an urb here
a poster there
a poster there
an urb here
a drumhead there
a poster there
here an urb...
there an urb...
there an ur...

wait a minute?!!!!!!!

these aren't fans these are autograph collectors who will just sell this shit on ebay. i didn't want to go out my ass for sure, but none of them mentioned being an okayplayer (one was calling me ahmir--so i knew he aint on the boards)....and then they asked for autographs from my soundguy (artless)--sheeeit one cat even thought rashid wallace was ben kenney's replacement.

so i stopped and walked away. got in the van and headed to my hotel only for the same cats to rush they ass off on some ronin car chase shit and beat me to my hotel. i told them respectfully that i am declining autographs. for i had already signed one dudes 6 urb mags. i mean shouldn't that be enough?

my whole steeze is i am all about extending some time and talk to people who i feel are really supportive of the group. and i just can't feel the whole selling my signature (for startes, is it even worth anything? no hip hopper alive that i know of is worth anything--damn that looks cold--but fudge it) on ebay.

i dont know how to end this. not looking for permission or approval. or some sort of hip hop priest to confess my sins to. i just feel some way about that.

sigh....okay

now that is done.

hows about gathering together and voting online so we can win that webby.

if we win i promise to make special ed (not the made man, but the yanker himself) an okayartist.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

8462, RE: covering my arse
Posted by Asoyini, Wed May-21-03 10:12 AM
>my whole steeze is i am all about extending some time and
>talk to people who i feel are really supportive of the
>group. and i just can't feel the whole selling my signature
>(for startes, is it even worth anything? no hip hopper alive
>that i know of is worth anything--damn that looks cold--but
>fudge it) on ebay.

Yes your autograph will be worth more money as time goes by (not necessarily right now). If they were collectors they prolly kept a copy for themselves and are going to stash the extras to sell years down the road. Don't underestimate your impact on music... You'll be surprised what people will pay money for on EBAY!
8463, RE: covering my arse
Posted by a_brother_named_george, Wed May-21-03 10:19 AM
co-sign on the value of the signature.You may not see it as being of value in a financial aspect... But when a person gets your autograph (or another fave celeb of theirs) the value is in fact quite large.
I remember when I first met Dave from De La and got his autograph after a show at the Maritime back in the "Stakes Is High" days... I damn near froze,stared at the signature and then just kept on.The impact De La have had on me is unmeasured on various levels.
Then there was the time I met yourself and the rest of the Roots (sans Malik B) in Berkeley at Rasputins in the Illadelph days.You were very approachable and laid back... it does have an impact on an individual beyond what you may think when you do sign for them... Please do not let this Portland experience make you hesitant to sign for deserving fans... I will hopefully be seeing y'all sometime in the near future and if I'm lucky would like to chop it up with you,shoot you my album and go on.
8464, RE: covering my arse
Posted by debooen, Thu May-22-03 03:41 AM
Word....I've got a number of rare Roots collectibles....my favorite being a signed copy of the original pressing of Organix 2 LP. To me this invaluable...I couldn't put a price on this...it not leaving my wall.
8465, RE: covering my arse
Posted by rick, Fri May-23-03 09:49 AM
i have the double lp og from the ground up signed. beat that.

;)

peace,
rick
8466, RE: covering my arse
Posted by _JP, Sun May-25-03 04:19 AM
I have the double LP "The Roots Instrumentals" (only 5000 printed) signed by ?uest, BT, Kamal, Hub, Malik, Rahzel, Scratch, Ben, Knuckles, and Kirk. HA I WIN!

. . . . . . . Wait, nevermind that was a dream I had last night. That would be hot though.
8467, pleeeeeease
Posted by planet x, Wed May-28-03 08:44 AM
are you worried about looking bad on ebay or about doing autographs that someone other than you is making money off of? from how i interpreted what was written, i took it that quest didn't want to look bad, as other hip hop cats do, by having their stuff sell at low prices on ebay. the other reason is probably somewhere around in his head. seriously, who cares about looking bad on ebay? people are still going to buy your records and go to concerts even if roots autographs are sold on ebay and even if the only go for $2.50, so don't worry about your rep or whatever. it's so tragic being famous.
8468, you should definitely worry
Posted by Arkitech, Wed May-21-03 10:14 AM
when dudes start asking you to sign their boxers. Those go for a mint on ebay
8469, u still ain't signed my shit, i was
Posted by lazyboi, Wed May-21-03 10:15 AM
gonna ask you to at that after party in atl that time, bbut hey had chairs and tables blocking the dj booth. plus after you cut off scenario 1 after charlie's verse i was not a happy camper.

but i still want you to sign my ish though

lazyboi: so stacy, you think i have a chance with her?
Stacy Adams: she's cute..but attached....tis gonna take some strong uncle climaxing

http://members.blackplanet.com/Lay_z_boi/#

OkayREunion
okpre_atl@hotmail.com http://reunion.kodefendant.com

8470, Bollix.
Posted by Tank, Wed May-21-03 10:29 AM
*Runs off to burn all the photocopies I have taken...*
8471, You are forgiven my son....
Posted by shwin, Wed May-21-03 10:32 AM
now come here and let me bless you

ok,enough priest jokes

thats effed up, but i want some autographed stuff mayne

here, im gonna registed 30new names on hotmail and get it for you ok?

then i want autographed drumsticks
8472, ?uest I don't wanna meet you.
Posted by Clark Kent, Wed May-21-03 10:34 AM
I can see you poking me in the eye, smacking my cd out of my hand and then having security toss me out. But I just gotta know this are you the one that chats as Storm?? or was someone pulling my leg. Cause some person claiming to be you called me a G-Man.

8473, lol
Posted by allison, Wed May-21-03 10:45 AM
>got in the van and headed to my hotel only for the same cats to rush they ass off on some ronin car chase shit and beat me to my hotel. i told them respectfully that i am declining autographs. for i had already signed one dudes 6 urb mags. i mean shouldn't that be enough?

I'm still throwing in the towel

*gasp*

ps: I've been supporting okp (dan) since day one of the awards dammit !
8474, your snoopy towel
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Wed May-21-03 10:45 AM
im selling that shit tonite to pay for my lazix eye surgery

i dont wanna wear glasses anymore!
8475, Lazer Eye Surgery=1500
Posted by Clark Kent, Wed May-21-03 10:54 AM
I got hit in the eye with a brownie two or 3 years ago, it tore my retina, I had to get surgery the shit is expensive.
8476, go to canada
Posted by shwin, Wed May-21-03 11:18 AM
its like 200 bucks
8477, leagalized weed, mad cow and SARS
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Thu May-22-03 09:53 AM
all i know about canada
8478, RE: covering my arse
Posted by okayyac, Wed May-21-03 11:01 AM
>so i got into it last night in portland.
>
>i was rushing to this outdoor sports store to cop a jacket.
>
>i saw some cats at the backstage gates holding some posters
>and magazines, etc. so i figured that despite my rush i
>would stop and sign some things.
>
>an urb here
>a poster there
>a poster there
>an urb here
>a drumhead there
>a poster there
>here an urb...
>there an urb...
>there an ur...
>
>wait a minute?!!!!!!!
>
>these aren't fans these are autograph collectors who will
>just sell this shit on ebay. i didn't want to go out my ass
>for sure, but none of them mentioned being an okayplayer
>(one was calling me ahmir--so i knew he aint on the
>boards)....and then they asked for autographs from my
>soundguy (artless)--sheeeit one cat even though rashid
>wallace was ben kenney's replacement.
>
>so i stopped and walked away. got in the van and headed to
>my hotel only for the same cats to rush they ass off on some
>ronin car chase shit and beat me to my hotel. i told them
>respectfully that i am declining autographs. for i had
>already signed one dudes 6 urb mags. i mean shouldn't that
>be enough?
>
>my whole steeze is i am all about extending some time and
>talk to people who i feel are really supportive of the
>group. and i just can't feel the whole selling my signature
>(for startes, is it even worth anything? no hip hopper alive
>that i know of is worth anything--damn that looks cold--but
>fudge it) on ebay.
>
>i dont know how to end this. not looking for permission or
>approval. or some sort of hip hop priest to confess my sins
>to. i just feel some way about that.
>

Hmm...if i was you i'd feel less irritated and more shocked and happy about this. think about it...these people think enough of you and have enough confidence in your musical abilities that they want autographs from you to sell years from now. that's assuming that they will be worth a lot down the road, which would mean that they believe that you have a lot of musical success ahead of you.

my guitar teacher always used to tell me that the moment you start thinking you deserve where you are in the music business is the moment of your decline.

and i dunno what the deal is with the "don't say my name" shit...that's seriously some Prince-esque shit right there.

8479, reason #1 for okayplayer decoder rings.
Posted by Mosaic, Wed May-21-03 11:03 AM
"drink more ovaltine"
8480, i love you.
Posted by Damali, Sat May-24-03 02:19 PM

8481, RE: reason #1 for okayplayer decoder rings.
Posted by onelove, Fri May-30-03 11:50 AM
that shit would be tight!!!!
8482, So you wont be signing my 6 copies of TFA and 4 Phren
Posted by Lardlad95, Wed May-21-03 11:13 AM
LARDLAD:THE PRO BLACK PROPHET

TODAY'S PROPHECY:
"The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle
Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf, guildmaster and journeyman, in a word. opressor and opressed, stood in a constant opposition to one another, carried on an uninterrupted now hidden, now open fight, a fight that each time ended, either in revolutionary reconstitution of society at large, or in the common ruin of the struggling classes"-Karl Marx

(c)1848

8483, RE: covering my arse
Posted by rl9, Wed May-21-03 12:28 PM
and then they asked for autographs from my
>soundguy (artless)

that's what i call hardcore fans lol.

--sheeeit one cat even though rashid
>wallace was ben kenney's replacement.

hey, rasheed is living that rock'n'roll live-style...he just doesn't play any instruments...
8484, fame's a bitch, ain't it?
Posted by dro, Wed May-21-03 01:18 PM
jokes... haha

but seriously tho, you should be humbled that cats think your signature has value. i mean, honestly, i'm not a star or anything, but if someone wanted my autograph, thats when i'd look back on my life and say, "shit. all that playing on the corner of south street and the years of touring has led to this. ppl want somthing as trivial as my signature!"

but on the other hand, i see your point. these aren't real fans who truly appreciate your music. but also, this is a response to your newfound success on the radio. which in a way, is a good thing because ppl are actually seeing you all as an act who's sigs they want

and maybe mosaic isn't totally far off in his idea for the concept of "okp decoder rings." the logistics of this would probably be too difficult, but have you ever thought about okp meet and greets in cities, like before the show for okps (who's names would be on a "master list" of registered okps) who had tickets to the show? this could get tricky as well, as people could start to register on the site just to have access to that. but maybe limit the attendance or somthing.

but once again, the pro: the ppl there ARE truly enthused about your music. but the con: maybe a little too enthused. to the point of stalkerish, which would make it no fun for you. also, unless the rest of the roots wanted to participate, you'd be the center of attention

just some ideas
8485, lol
Posted by JJBuffone, Wed May-21-03 01:50 PM
>if we win i promise to make special ed (not the made man,
>but the yanker himself) an okayartist.
>
>yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Priceless.

8486, i didn't get that...the yanker?
Posted by spirit, Wed May-21-03 03:01 PM
help me out here. i'm assuming "made man" is an "i got it made" special ed reference. but who's the yanker?
8487, Special Ed from Crank Yankers
Posted by ArtVandelay, Wed May-21-03 04:18 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
8488, RE: covering my arse
Posted by gilaboy, Wed May-21-03 02:06 PM
you forgot to mention that from the moment they asked you to sign shit until you left you were talking on your cell phone. those cats did seem a little fraudulent and all, but I was right there and you seemed like you were in enough of a hurry that I didn't want to disturb you for an autograph.
I'm not gonna hate, no doubt you had some place to be. But from my point of view, both sides weren't approaching the situation planning on a friendly interaction. That is completely ridiculous that they showed up to your hotel, that's definitely pushing it.
So I wouldn't say you were being a nasty arrogant superstar or anything like that- the whole autograph thing seems strange to me too. I had the chance to bump into Black thought in Seattle a few years ago, and in the spur of the moment I didn't ask for his autograph, I asked him who he was gonna vote for in the next presidential election. It was great he said something like, 'there's no candidate to vote for'. definitely a nice memory.
By the way, excellent show- me and a friend drove from olympia, WA to see ya'll. (eff the 21 and over seattle bullshit). we didn't even have tickets, and almost left but a guy was looking to sell his right before the show so we got lucky. keep rockin the best live show in hiphop!

8489, RE: covering my arse
Posted by Moby Dick, Fri May-23-03 04:02 PM
Most of the fans at that Portland show seemed clueless. In fact, it kind of looked like some whitehat high school crowd to me on the floor. How did they get in? Anyway, amazing show, thanks Quest.

"touch football sometime?"
Kerouac

"When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro"
HST
8490, after a show like that
Posted by INKtheZionCrewRep, Wed May-21-03 02:17 PM
you get to act however the fuck youn wanna.
for real. that was dope.
worth waiting 4-5 months for even.

only wish cody and skillz woulda came with you guys.
but still, i can't complain (although i would like to, The Lab are not worthy, lol)
8491, glad to read that right now
Posted by Mercy, Wed May-21-03 09:29 PM
yo -- these cats played so well and so long in Eugene tonight. That's so nice. Thanks for making the trip, and the word keeps moving. . .

"..in days of frustration,
spark the education..." -bt
8492, Peep it, though...
Posted by truth0ne, Wed May-21-03 05:01 PM
Out of the 11,000+ sucker that have registered on this site, I'd think maybe 500 of them actually post.

The others consist of:

1) Casual fans who came here and logged on just to find out what's what. They probably will post once in a blue moon...

2) The die-hard fans. These cats are lined up outside the venue HOURS early. They have their OKP t-shirts on. They have all of the projects you guys have ever contributed to memorized. They can recite Thought's rhymes, dupe your drum breaks, hum Hub's plucks and whistle every "klang" Kamal ever made.

THESE cats will kill you just shake your hands...

If they can get anything with your signature on it, they'll spend maaad loot to get it.

Now, to be honest... I'd sell them your drumsticks for a grip, dude.

There's profit to be made... They spend loot to buy all of your projects, why not help them get money back?

Hell, y'all could make a lot of dough selling autographed sticks and mics and shit in the OkayStore.

And don't front like you wouldn't mind that money...

------------------------------------------------------------------->
http://www.studio-GRIZ.com
http://www.truth0ne.com
NOW WITH ILLUSTRATIONS!!!

"The secret of life...is that when you are with another person... whether in the flesh or on the phone... is to make sure that other person does not feel alone...." - Mr. Rogers (1928-2003)(RIP)
8493, Thanks for travelling and putting it all on here in Eug
Posted by Mercy, Wed May-21-03 10:41 PM
peace
8494, I am still pissed you didnt take that Pic with me
Posted by Bigmell, Thu May-22-03 05:58 AM
last yr @ the LP release party @ Shine (NYC)

I am gonna get you SUCKA!!!

Naw but on the real screw them collecter dudes! You should not have to explain SHIT to them... Just tell them NO! End of story!

I got a Common- One day it will all make sense Autograph CD cover for sale! A million $$ or B.O!

E-mail me @ Bigmell@Blah.com!
8495, piccolo's too...
Posted by zionites16, Thu May-22-03 06:08 AM
damn money suckers r gonna ruin 4 everyone...so still try to reach out a hand to some real fans down the road.
Kinda like u did my boy Marvin, he was rockin' his piccolo snare last night that u signed 4 him in the Natti last week, by the way, was that supposed to be a picture of u on there. lol
I was like u gonna wear off the sig. and he was like that's okay, I know ? signed it 4 me. By the way good show in the Nati !!! Did they treat u guys alright ?

PEACE>
8496, mine is personalized so of course I can't sell it
Posted by WuGambina, Thu May-22-03 06:19 AM
not that I would :o)
8497, but you coulda signed an autograph for Matthew
Posted by desus, Thu May-22-03 06:28 AM
That's my little brother man, he's only six years old
We waited in the blistering cold for you,
four hours and you just said, "No."
That's pretty shitty man - you're like his fuckin idol
He wants to be just like you man, he likes you more than I do
________
"Ye shall know the Truth, And the Truth shall make you angry!"

—Aldous Huxley

8498, Word?
Posted by sun_das_ill, Thu May-22-03 07:31 AM
blimey...
8499, hold the hell up
Posted by Belief, Thu May-22-03 07:49 AM
>for i had already signed one dudes 6 urb mags.

you signed six of his magazines, while I still have a nekkid drumstick over here!?!?!?....ain't that some sh*t?!

8500, ?uest....I demand an answer.
Posted by Clark Kent, Thu May-22-03 08:41 AM
I buy all your shit, I buy your T Shirts, I advertise your shit...you can just give me an answer, are you JS!? REPS doesnt believe me, I need to prove him wrong. INBOX me.
8501, let them make a few bucks off your signature
Posted by GumDrops, Thu May-22-03 08:44 AM
youre probably making a hundred times what they are.
8502, work much?
Posted by Dove, Fri May-23-03 03:07 AM

8503, apparently not
Posted by Ziad, Fri May-23-03 04:53 PM

8504, i wanna go to the roots live...
Posted by m, Thu May-22-03 09:28 AM
yyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy
8505, The man was serious
Posted by EasyStar, Thu May-22-03 01:39 PM
for once and ya'll crackin Jokes...LOL....

Dude, You did the right thing Quest. Go with the Gut. Hold your guns and all that shit. These dudes tryin to hustle and east of your talent and integrity. If they are True OKP's they will see you again to get your autograph and continue to support the Legendary movement

EVERYBODY, Please vote for Roots crew for the webby...Im Tryin to See Special Ed as a Feature artist : Bu-bu Boop Boomp Bap..YYYAAAAAAY! ( thats the remix for the crank yankers)
8506, I knew you were an ass hole
Posted by Mikedef2001, Thu May-22-03 01:44 PM
8507, and here it is, just as u described
Posted by liquidanger, Thu May-22-03 04:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2533339298&category=29871
8508, doubters need to click your link
Posted by Dove, Fri May-23-03 03:10 AM
there are folks who sell that autographed stuff to collectibles shops for hella money too. I met a guy one time who actually made a good living off getting autographs and selling them. Very weird.
8509, i never understood the whole autograph thing neither
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Fri Jun-06-03 08:58 AM
i've got a few photos of me w/ folks...but even then there were a lot of after parties, hotel lobbies, and bottles of cris that i never got shots of ;-)...the throught of someones signature being really important is just weird to me...

much love,
Kyle

if you got beef: http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

"but why oh why do you feel you need to take over the world when you already rule? " ~ calamity june

and thats that.

8510, RE: and here it is, just as u described
Posted by _JP, Fri May-23-03 05:04 AM
Nice sig ?uest
8511, i suggest a boycott on non-okayplaers at roots shows
Posted by dgonsh, Thu May-22-03 04:59 PM
we'll anounce a new password on the boards before every show, and when we get to the door everyone who says the password will get in, and everyone who just saw break you off and decided to come to aroots show can go see justin timberlake and christina aguilera. so, WHO"S WITH ME?!!???! non okayplayers at live shows are like board lurkers round here.

peace, dgonsh

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

8512, RE: i suggest a boycott on non-okayplaers at roots show
Posted by _JP, Fri May-23-03 05:05 AM
That would just flood the board with people who aren't real fans.
8513, point taken
Posted by dgonsh, Thu Jun-05-03 02:41 PM
peace, dgonsh

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

8514, RE: covering my arse
Posted by LaDeeDeF_99, Thu May-22-03 05:49 PM
definitely understandable.*nods*
you work hard to make a livin doin what you do, and autograph vultures definitely make the skin crawl

...not that im qualified to tell you what to do or anythin'....

*trails off

never properly said thanks for rockin' that ucdavis show (sorry about all the frat boys, i told them to stay home but they didnt listen)
its always a pleasure to see yall

peace
ladee
8515, Special ED??
Posted by PAP, Thu May-22-03 10:13 PM
IS this some kinda insider joke or what? Maaan, nothing against him but why not make De La okp artists?

mixtapes and more: www.papichulo.de coming soon
8516, ill give u a webby personally
Posted by jleeavatar_soulflow, Thu May-22-03 11:58 PM
if u come down to australia and teach cats to drum :)...matter o fact bring down the rest o the roots crew and we can get legendary down under, lol...i no it aint even in consideration, cats can dream right?
8517, On the real!!!
Posted by bassndaplace, Fri May-23-03 02:53 AM
People will buy anything on E-Bay!

Here's my 1st ?uest encounter if you give a shit:

It happened @ the University of Rochester in 97 or 98 - I can't remember verbatim but the convo went sum'n like this...

Me: ?uest boogie - Big up's for all the inspiration on the musical tip.

?uest: Good looking out - thanks man

Me: I don't normally ask cats for this type of ish but would would you tag my Live album (vinyl)

?uest: No problem I'll sign whateva ya got *takes album and asks me if they gave me gatefolds for the vinyl* (they had just gotten signed to MCA)

Me: Hell no it didn't come with gatefolds.

?uest: Signed his sig and wrote "Fuck MCA @ least @ Geffen we got gatefolds on our albums"

Me: Thanks be cool *daps*

Sidenote: Black Thought signed the same live album "Thanks for the support ASSHOLE" and asked me to read it before I took off - I think he just wanted to see how I would react to that, so I just looked @ him and laughed (it's all good) - We know who the REAL asshole is =)
8518, comedy
Posted by _JP, Fri May-23-03 05:07 AM
LOL

but what is a gatefold?
8519, RE: comedy
Posted by bassndaplace, Fri May-23-03 10:27 AM
>LOL
>
>but what is a gatefold?

do you own any vinyl?
8520, RE: comedy
Posted by _JP, Sun May-25-03 05:45 AM
just a little
8521, RE: covering my arse
Posted by farnellnewton, Fri May-23-03 10:16 AM
To tell you the truth up in Eugene, OR Quest was mad cool. during a breather outside he was talking to some people who had no tickets and decided to let me come in and check out the rest of the show back stage. The door man said he never seen anything like that before....
8522, If its any consolation.....
Posted by Justin_Maldonado_7, Fri May-23-03 11:05 AM
I still got the sticks you threw at the Bowery Ballroom (1999)...Things come alive show...

dont stop giving...there are some true fans out there..
8523, RE: covering my arse
Posted by huracanmh, Fri May-23-03 03:04 PM
Sorry if someone said this already, but who the hell would want to buy autographed merchandise? I mean, isn't the thrill of getting an autograph the fact that you actually met the celebrity in question? You're paying money out the ass for a little magazine with a signature on it. No "I met ?uest..." story, no "look how he personalized it for me!" story, etc.

Is it just me?
8524, Flood Ebay
Posted by G Spot, Fri May-23-03 04:35 PM
Flood ebay with some massive selling of your john hancock. For the price of the URB magazine (or cheaper if they gave you like stacks). Once people can't make money off of it, they will move on to someone else.......
8525, $35.00????
Posted by bassndaplace, Sat May-24-03 02:17 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2533339298&category=29871
8526, or get all the Roots for just $75
Posted by Dove, Sat May-24-03 04:34 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2533339278&category=29871

8527, Common - only $19.99!
Posted by Dove, Sat May-24-03 04:37 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3328312846&category=29871
8528, foiled again
Posted by qoolquest, Sat May-24-03 03:34 AM
yo---why did the same shit happen last night again?
is this what i been asking for? adoration from cats who will forget about "the seed" once summer ends? radio interviews from radio cats who be on some "that new group --the roots! there style is like wyclef meets sugarhill!" (i wanted to murder inc dude!!) and autograph mofos who just sell shit?:

"dude i fucking love the group!!! can you sign this for me (pulls out 30 bootleg photos---gives me 10, then pulls out 7 requests magazines--)

what is the name of my website then??!?!

uh...ummm...uh the roots dot com?

(i start walking away)

um roots dot com?!?!?

nappy roots dot com?

(dude is about to get fucked up now.....)

(looks at his cohorts--like what i say wrong? now they are unsure if im the roots guy or not...)

dude i dont sell autographs i just "trade em"--

im like "dude---please dont bullshit me you are ebaying this shit and you know it"

bye.
8529, nappy roots dot com - ahhahahahaha
Posted by Dove, Sat May-24-03 04:29 AM
oh my lord
8530, yeah i say fuck 'em
Posted by codewarrior, Sat May-24-03 04:30 AM
besides you are doing a favor for your real fans by not signing any bullshit. Just takes the value away from a real fan getting a real autograph by coming to a show and whatever nah'mean?
8531, *this* is comedy n.m.
Posted by Belief, Sat May-24-03 05:41 AM

8532, RE: foiled again
Posted by jose3030, Sat May-24-03 06:39 AM
i expected this.
it's gonna keep happening.

8533, but..
Posted by dizko_muzik, Sat May-24-03 08:31 AM
i had the same "problem" but in smaller scale. Im here in Poland on Universal and we are puttin records with MTV airplay itd, yeah we are stars but with no budgets anyway. you have people who are fans of your music and cats who are just "fans" in general of everything thats famous. its just something you HAVE to deal with, like its an obvious difference between 14 year old girls recognizing me in subway. laughin and signin hooks of my latest single, and some cat that i meet after a show and have a deep convo about music. both are buing your records, and you shoot videos rather for those who know you from mtv.
-----
"nowadays they still cant fix my broken english" Lee Majors
-------------------------

Check my music:

Dizkret&Praktik
"IQ"
Konkret/Dilpak/Sony Poland
------
Stare Miasto
"Minuty"
Universal Music Poland
------
www.dizkret.com
--
8534, if i feel
Posted by qoolquest, Wed May-28-03 11:14 AM
someone has a general love for the group (be it okayplayer or a newbie) then i'm cool with it. i welcome those who feel we are "new". (not the press, my whole jawn is if you have been in a coma for 10 plus years than fuck you)

but for someone to bootleg a concert, or an autograph....hmmmm i dunno i know its a living but....

go figure.
8535, RE: if i feel
Posted by ashantiprincess0476, Sat May-31-03 07:49 AM
screw those cats tryin to get rich-or somethin' like that- off of selling your signature on ebay. if its not for the love of the crew or true hip hop-the dont deserve to have it. I WAS GEEKED when i got everyone to sign my copy of "Proceed" a few shows back- spead love in DC!!!- i've gotta say its on the wall next to Brand Nubian,Wu,Ed-O-G's and MY KIDS! THAT(e-bay-a-holics)it what "love"is.WHUSSUP beautiful ZULU.
TRIFE_OUT
8536, word that's sum bullshit right there...
Posted by Scrapluv, Sat May-24-03 10:20 AM
umm......could u just sign these here 20 drumsticks for me?....
8537, RE: foiled again
Posted by bassndaplace, Sat May-24-03 05:08 PM
>what is the name of my website then??!?!
>
>uh...ummm...uh the roots dot com?
>
>(i start walking away)
>
>um roots dot com?!?!?
>
>nappy roots dot com?
>
>(dude is about to get fucked up now.....)
>
>(looks at his cohorts--like what i say wrong? now they are
>unsure if im the roots guy or not...)
>
>dude i dont sell autographs i just "trade em"

Ya should have whooped they ass!! =)

8538, autograph groupies!
Posted by jleeavatar_soulflow, Sat May-24-03 09:26 PM
haha funny shit...i heard there a pretty rare species...yeah about 10 years ago i heard they all ogt wipped out in the big "auto graph groupie suicide death" when ebay was going to not open....
8539, RE: covering my arse
Posted by SkyCinSoul, Sat May-24-03 05:05 AM

"so i got into it last night in PORTLAND"...

need we say more. yeah that shit is bogus. eff a pre-signed autograph. Toss me a drum stick, hot off the stage, memories of a great show and I'm as good as gold.

"fucking posers. its almost over now, almost over now."
8540, address this on ur next album....
Posted by effa_mainstream, Sat May-24-03 11:54 AM
(ya'll gonna keep makin albums...right?)
8541, Dude, fuck that shit...
Posted by dao_rida, Sat May-24-03 12:18 PM
Your autographs are educational as well as collectable...
Your sig on my babies making babies album let me know that you liked peas.

Fuck the bullshit.
8542, it would only make sense
Posted by vatoben, Sat May-24-03 06:51 PM
that rash would join the roots considering my recent nba draft.

go nets!
that's right i said it. i rep jersey since '77.
8543, bout time somebody repping Jerz
Posted by Damali, Sun May-25-03 08:16 AM
*hold up Jersey City sign*

d

"I think that one of the hardest things about becoming a mother is that there are so many rules and expectations attached. I think its very hard for women who have complicated characters and a wide variety of expectations about their lives to suddenly find themselves in this trite, eternally self-sacrificing, tender role." - author Lionel Shriver (female)

Hosted by Jay Smooth and Damali
Saturdays from Midnite-2am
WBAI 99.5 FM NY

www.hiphopmusic.com. Where hiphop blogs.

8544, where in JC?
Posted by Bo_De_Ga, Wed May-28-03 09:15 AM
lived on Varick and Columbus up until last year.
8545, ben
Posted by qoolquest, Wed May-28-03 11:21 AM
why the fuck do i scrub off my screen whenever you post? that lil dot be having me think that a fly is on my screen!!!

clean that ish up mane!
8546, RE: ben
Posted by rick, Wed Jun-04-03 09:35 AM
how do you know if the drummer of the roots has been reading his former drummer's internet posts?

because there's white out all over the screen!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

rick

8547, that should read "former guitarist"
Posted by rick, Thu Jun-05-03 06:35 AM
why the fuck can i only edit for 60 minutes? i just realized i made the typo now, that's stupid.

peace,
rick
8548, I live in JC
Posted by Bigmell, Fri May-30-03 08:08 AM
By Lincoln park!

I fucking Hate it!!
8549, Hoo-fucking-Raah for britspeak.
Posted by si_ki_UK, Sun May-25-03 06:51 AM
or aussie i suppose.
ARSE. you seen UK tv's "Father Ted" (nice comfy silly humour)?

i cant think who would buy signatures. real die-hard fans will get to briefly meet at least one of the roots at some point, no? Im guessing the demographic for sig-buyers is: obsessive, wealthy and livin somewhere they dont tour too often.
8550, shoot, i got mad shit with Artless's sig on it ...
Posted by Malice, Fri May-30-03 07:16 AM
*gigglin' as I set up a Z-shop account on Amazon*

8551, ...
Posted by robynwildchild, Mon Jun-02-03 03:49 AM
it's the genetic code of existence...
if your gonna choose to be that double helix
there will be a gene in dominant in opposition to your point of view... philosphy of life

eerrrrr something like that.....
chin up/down/to the left/to the right there are some of us who'd rather listen to ya than ask for an autograph.. this isn't baseball ya know.

:)

8552, RE: covering my arse
Posted by word to the wise, Thu Jun-05-03 04:55 AM
unfortunatly....

i guess if you really ever need some quick cash??

dunno...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2535694018&category=29871

peace
8553, RE: covering my arse SHOW AT KEENE, NEW HAMPSHIRE 4/27
Posted by waltamctommiepoint, Fri Jun-06-03 10:10 AM
Quest,
First I'd like to thank you for coming to my school, Keene State College in NH. I had previously written posts trying to get y'all to make a stop there for a show, and when it finally was a reality - y'all absolutely ripped it and rocked KSC well, thank you. Being an avid hiphop listener and The Roots holding the torch as my favorite group, I try to check y'all out whenever you enter Boston area. So this was my 5th show and no doubt my favorite one. Actually, I got the chance to play h.o.r.s.e. with Frank Knuckles and Mack Dub at the rec. center for about two hours straight before prior to y'all hitting the stage. Let me just say this was an unbelievable experience. I asked Knuckles questions concerning the group that I've always wanted to know, and he was just mad cool about the whole thing. Both Knuckles and Mack Dub have some nice skills on the court too, even though I think I won it the shooting showdown;). If you ever do read this post: please let Knuckles know that his Keene State friends, Brad and Joey Crack, say whats up! Actually, if I could somehow get a hold of Knuckles email address that would be def appreciated..I know that y'all are extremely busy performing and creating the finest in hiphop music.
So get back on the autograph tip(the posts subject), I got all Roots members to sign the KSC Roots promotion poster for me, which is now framed and honored in my room. But, I was unable to have you sign it, damn. You unfortunately jetted quick after the show. I barely got Hub to sign the poster while he was packing about 20 hoodies into his tavel-bag. I knew that Hub enjoyed the hoodies, but damn..HAHA. I kind of felt pushy asking for autographs, but with my favorite group on campus, I had to give it a try. A beautiful girl who was most likely working/touring with y'all told me that you were on the other tour bus. I didn't want to bother you with immature petty nonsense. So, I refrained and felt that my limits had been pushed. Also, I saw Knuckles leading some New Hampshire honies onto the tourbus..HAHA, YEEEEAH FRANK! I now know that I probably should have listened to her and attempted to ask you in order to complete my priceless Roots suvenire. Now the question is: how can I get you to sign it? It would be pretty difficult to bring it to a future show, where it could damage the ish out of it and somehow have you sign it. I know that it would be pretty greedy of me thinking that I that I could have you sign it in some over the mail agreement. Unfortunately, that might be the only way.. Sorry this is quite the foolish reQuest from me of you the "hardest working man in hiphop" Questlove, but I really am a devoted-okayplayer fan. Let me know if you have any ideas, I would appreciate with the upmost. Thanks again for making the stop at Keene and unleashing a truely unforgetable show.

Thanks,
Brad
bclark1@ksc.mailcruiser.com
8554, RE: them bastards already hit e-bay
Posted by jlive313, Fri Jun-06-03 10:03 PM
After i was reading this thread i decided to check the bay......http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2536991441&category=29871