Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectIt all depends, but . . . .
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8257&mesg_id=8343
8343, It all depends, but . . . .
Posted by Jahbaz Jackie Diggs, Fri Jun-20-03 09:24 AM
if they are paying US equivalent of $15-20 a ticket, for one band and maybe an opening act or two, then I'd say 40 minutes is the bare minimum that people expect these days.

Funny you should mention PE- when my old group briefly toured with PE (1994-1995), they'd run through 18 songs in about an hour (big medleys- 2 minutes of Rebel into 2 minutes of Bring the Noise into 2 minutes of Prophets of rage), and most people probably wouldn't really want to hear much more, cause they really covered all the songs that sound great live (although I would've loved to have heard more material off of "Yo! Bum Rush the Show," probably the most under-rated hip hop album ever). by the way, Flavor is nice on the kit, if you haven't seen him play before.

As a musician and a fan, it is more important to have 15 minutes of pure genius and brilliant execution than, say, 40 minutes of slurred, intoxicated preaching (Gil-Scot could be the best example of this phenomenon) or 45 minutes of Grand Puba talking about how Lyor is a devil (at the old Ritz, 1991, when De La was headlining).

Since when did 90 minutes become inadequate????
They're bugging.

Diggs