Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectplenty of black shows 2 hr +
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8257&mesg_id=8315
8315, plenty of black shows 2 hr +
Posted by fatlip, Thu Jun-19-03 05:25 AM
wouldn't the live backing (ie dat/tables/live band) be a determining factor? its different techniques/apparatus' to work with that could make any give show shorter or longer. roots have a wider window cause you're live band, even though not commercial with mega hit albums. kast could get away with the longest....hits for days, live band, respected group, and arguable underground credibility (maybe not backpack but from cats like greg tate. sheeeit, you can still see them in a club of 2000 or less, with an all black audience.)

average show of say...

a PE (respected hip hop group):
respect doesn't mean the majority are trying to see hours and hours. 1 hour would suffice to get the hits in, get a couple non-release for the heads, and leave the crowd hungry for more (not oversaturated)

a nelly (commercial new cat with 2 records),
hour. have to save hits for final blow out....pre hit show, you can't drag on for too long or the majority of the audience (non-fanatics just there to chill) will get tired

a def jux or blackalicious (underground respect),
40 minutes. for real. as much as i personally could watch blackalicious and know all the words.....barring a set with live musicians....they should stick to the handful of hits, get gab to to a gagolicious rundown of A to Z and Chemical Calesthenics/freestyle...then close out with singalong. hit them quick and hard.

de la (group with classics)
i saw de la perform (pre-AOI) for 2 hours during freaknik 1997 and the crowd was not bored. left hungry for more.

matter of fact--include singers too. does anyone in black music even give a 2 hour show? i think last show i went to that i had nothing to do with was......janet?

Janet, Sade, Maxwell, Outkast, Prince, Lenny, R.L. Burnside....

nuff respect do though. Roots are unique in that they got one grammy certified hit, and maybe 2 or 3 more hits. but can pull off a two hour show and it is never boring. you can see them 4 times in a year and even when there is not enough distinction between them (which is rare) it is still fresh.