Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI'm spoiled
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8257&mesg_id=8310
8310, I'm spoiled
Posted by jiggyjazzman, Thu Jun-19-03 04:45 AM
>answer me this oh hip hop nation of mine.
>
>what is the average length of a hip hop show.
>
>from cats you "respect"
>cats you hate
>cats who are mega commercial
>cats who are ultra underground.
>

When I go to a Roots show I expect at least an hour or two if you're headlining. But then, I haven't been to any show that has the Roots if they aren't headlining. I haven't been to any mega commercial shows (Nelly, Jay, 50, etc.). They advertise on radio which I don't listen to. I don't expect much for ultra underground cats either (their isht usually starts to drone on after the first half hour). So, of the shows I've been to I expect to at least hear the singles that get rotation and some of the nicer songs from the most recent lp. If it's someone who has like 4,5 or 6 lps under their belt, I'm expecting to hear good isht from each. I know realistically, you cna't do all but it's nice to expect. When i went to Smokin' grooves in '96, the opening acts got like 20 minutes (Spearhaead and Infamous Mob), the in betweeners got like 30 or 40 minutes (Tribe and Busta), I think the Fugees had maybe like 45 minutes but they went long, Cypress went for about an hour probably and Ziggy closed the jawn. That was like my first large venue concert since the Victory tour. Everything else was like the little Drexel U. (not now, but Drexel in '94) promote the jawn in their hall in the student center type stuff (saw Ill and Al Scratch there and some other folk). Dern, did I answer the question? I guess really, I just expect a good show and I don't expect to be short-changed from cats I respect. I know it's not their fault all the time and half the time, it's the wack-a$$ promoters (I got a story about that and my crew and Temple U. and how Poor Righteous Teachers damn near cut us out of a show... but that's a whole 'nother post), but I just expect to hear good isht, I expect there to be some quality segues, and I expect MCs to move the crowd. Call me old school if that's too much.