Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: the time
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8257&mesg_id=8266
8266, RE: the time
Posted by djJazz1, Wed Jun-18-03 04:35 PM
This is hard to really gauge because a good show seems like it last only a half hour when it really was 90+minutes.

I saw Blackalicious and De La Soul play at a private party at the Mountain Dew party during Global X Games weekend. I think 'licious went on about 11pm I want to say. I think they played for about an hour then it was about 20-30 minutes between groups and then De La came on and rocked it till 2am. De La has a big catalog. Damn that was a good show.

It is all relative. The Roots are in a world of thier own. Since I moved to Austin 3.5 years ago I have seen every Roots performance. I want to say maybe about 5 shows. My favorite part of the show is after guys leave the stage for bit. Most groups come out and do thier hit then and leave. You guys seem to do another show. I will never forget the first Roots show I saw in Austin. At the end of the show Scratch was beat boxing and all you guys were on the front of the stage and the thousands there were singing tv theme songs.

Damn, well I tried to answer this but it is not an easy question. In the end I feel if I spend $30 on a ticket then I want 3 hours of entertainment. If that is 2 opening acts at 45 minutes and a headline show of 90 minutes. I am cool. If it is the headliner only and no opening act, you better pretend you are Parliement Funkadelic and be prepared to stay awhile. If it is an okayplayer show, then 6 acts at 20 minutes and headliners do about an hour.

>from cats you "respect"
>cats you hate
>cats who are mega commercial
>cats who are ultra underground.
>average show of say...a PE (respected hip hop group), a
>nelly (commercial new cat with 2 records), a def jux or
>blackalicious (underground respect), gang starr (group with
>more than 5 albums), de la (group with classics)
>
Keepin' Austin Weird