Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: sorry
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8109&mesg_id=8139
8139, RE: sorry
Posted by dip10020, Thu Jun-26-03 02:46 AM
i didn't think much of that show either, i believe Alan Yentob set out to find out about hip-hop, yet he only explored the rapping side of it, and that was then narrowed down to gangsta rap, so the closest they got to a definition was someone on the street saying 'hip-hop is a culture'.
i didn't like the way he went to detroit, purely for the eminem connection, before he went to new york.

then there was the obligatory tupac asskissing, and the swizz beats part was totally pointless.

also, when talking about the portrayal of women in hip-hop, he example he used - ludacris' 'area codes' wasn't very well thought out, and if he had a researcher that knew hip-hop, he'd have a better example, as luda is totally tongue-in-cheek doing that stuff.

then the little girl sitting at home rapping at the table next to her parent just had me cracking up - did they put it in for comedy value?

but it wasn't all bad, as they did at least go to new york, and Stanley Crouch's analogy of the black man to the shark was poignant and warned of the dangers to hip-hop in the near future.
and ?uest, of course.

but it finished up totally inconclusive, and i felt like i'd sacrificed an hour's possible revision time for nothing.