Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecteurope
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=8109
8109, europe
Posted by qoolquest, Tue Jun-24-03 06:28 PM
ok....perhaps the mojito is still in me (sure tina will post about this)

but mofos are doing the shows of their lives over here in this hot ass biaaaaatch.

like as in--shit the us will never see (easier to let our guard down in a far away country--riq will never do the punjabi dance in dc)

i find it strange that NOT ONE report or review came back of these miracle ass shows....

not one!?!?!?!?

damn y'all i sang PRINCE tonight in front of 6000 italians.

whatup!?!
8110, RE: europe
Posted by Alpine, Tue Jun-24-03 06:45 PM
so why don't you just tell us about it....the mircle show that is..... is there such a thing as the panjabi dance.......wanna see that.......indian chicks can move that waist.

LMFOA @ Prince......i wonder why we not so fortunate.....i know it's these hating ass okayplayers

------------------------------
Creative expression has no limits, and always delving deep within yourself is the key to individualism

so i ask you my brothers and sisters "Are you youself"

Alpine--Da beneficent
Da beneficent
8111, RE: europe
Posted by Federisco, Wed Jun-25-03 11:47 AM
but remember that the dance the men do is more about jumping from one leg to the other while pointing towards the sky.. more comedy in it ;)

...i think not too many write reviews from shows abroad (where is abroad anyhow?), because okayplayer is and will be US-centered... naturally. still thou, i sense that okayplayer.com doesn't give attention to roots business & events "abroad" the way they used to. (with some nice exceptions, but still.)
8112, What Prince song?
Posted by notthat1, Tue Jun-24-03 06:57 PM
--------------------------------------- Words spoken can leave one strong,or one broken.Some say to much,some come too soft spoken.-New Breed
8113, i thought you hated italy?
Posted by GirlChild, Tue Jun-24-03 07:13 PM

8114, past tense "hated"
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Jun-25-03 08:10 AM
what a difference 3 years and a top 5 pop hit makes over here.
8115, Not to mention the ITalian broads
Posted by Lardlad95, Wed Jun-25-03 09:21 AM
Though you can get those in Philly

LARDLAD:THE PRO BLACK PROPHET

TODAY'S PROPHECY:
"So I'm on the wing of the clock that time wants nothing to do with. And he tell me where to go. I just nod my head, cause I can't see it, but he tell me it's there. It was larger he say, but to deep for me to notice. I stare ahead, and I make out what I can see is a fabrication of what he told me it wasn't. And he look at me and say "any questions?"

8116, blah
Posted by GirlChild, Wed Jun-25-03 07:11 PM
i LOVE italy
it find it funny yall hated it so much
mr. trotter told me before i went how much i was going to hate it
i was like gee thanks, i'm going to be there for 2 months

8117, RE: europe
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Jun-24-03 07:14 PM
C'mon man.

I know I'd LOVE to hear a BBC Sessions-esque show here in SoCal sometime...
8118, I reviewed last time y'all were here in Amsterdam
Posted by Nicolay, Tue Jun-24-03 07:53 PM
Good thing you didn't sing no Prince though LOL

Nicolay

|

Jamming your radar in 2003:

FOREIGN EXCHANGE (Phonte & Nicolay) - "Connected"
NICOLAY - "City Lights" hosted by LUNCHBOX
JUSTUS LEAGUE - "Mixtape Volume I: NC State Of Mind"

8119, WHAT THEM HOES LOOKIN LIKE tho?
Posted by StacyAdams, Tue Jun-24-03 07:58 PM
"Got Damn man what the fuck U doin in there huh? That ain't what U posta saing, Now u know betta than that, u know u gotsta saing this muhfucka the way I told U to right? Got damn man how many muhfuckin times i got ta tell u, u gon' saing this song, u gotta SAING this muhfucka u dig what i'm sayin? I wanna FEEL this muhfuckin song thru my skin, u gotta git up, i want u to get up from way in here. U betta put some stink in this muhfucka, u betta saing this muhfucka like yo life depend on it you undastand me?" -the honorable Ike Turner

8120, RE: europe
Posted by dip10020, Tue Jun-24-03 08:14 PM
i'll post a review of the north sea jazz festival show if its much dofferent to the bristol one. just wanna see some of the crazy stuff you're talking about.

Posted by PAP, Tue Jun-24-03 09:46 PM

mixtapes and more: www.papichulo.de coming soon
8122, save some of this stuff for Wiesen
Posted by lisixiang, Tue Jun-24-03 10:12 PM

8123, wiesen... no jazzies...
Posted by mefunx, Wed Jun-25-03 07:33 AM
it's been two years since i last posted... now there's this "1" below my name, i suppose. that hurts somehow...

whatever.

regarding wiesen: for a short time the jazzies, too, were on the bill. so what happend? not that i'm not looking forward to seeing a roots show again, but you know... the jazzies...

peace | mefunx
8124, RE: europe
Posted by rl9, Tue Jun-24-03 10:18 PM
do we even have an italian okp on this site?
8125, Damn.... I can't wait to get the details....
Posted by FreeThought, Tue Jun-24-03 10:22 PM
Better yet, someone better have had the tape rollin'. we gots to get that on download.

True indeed.

============================================================
Going to Church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.
8126, I want Mp3's.... And Mpegs!!!
Posted by DawgEatah, Tue Jun-24-03 10:24 PM
Ok, now that I've said my piece. Watch this post go platinum...

Back from the dead.

坐中之中中坐中之中中坐中之中中坐中之中中坐中之中中坐中之中中坐中之中中坐中之

Disgust is an appropriate reaction to most situations. ~Jenney Holzer

Every battle is a chance to see another cat lose to me/I don't write battle raps. I write eulogies. ~Blueprint

Every dog has his day, and even more so in rhymin'/So I decided that I'd never play the fire hydrant. ~Blueprint

8127, Repping Italy over here
Posted by orph, Tue Jun-24-03 10:48 PM
Half english half italian, cant wait to get out of this bitch of a country ;)

Peace
8128, mostly festivals right ?
Posted by krewcial, Wed Jun-25-03 12:16 AM
Always down to write a review ... but Werchter festival ain't really my thing though ... pay an awful lot of money just for one band I wanna see, being punched in the back constantly (either that or see the show from a 100 metres distance) ... only a few festivals here are worth checking from a music point of view. Werchter is not one of them ...

Now if y'all would hit the Cactus festival or Blue Note next time it'd be a different story.

krewcial
|
8129, RE: mostly festivals right ?
Posted by betelgeuse, Wed Jun-25-03 02:11 AM
>but Werchter festival
>ain't really my thing though ... pay an awful lot of money
>just for one band I wanna see, being punched in the back
>constantly (either that or see the show from a 100 metres
>distance) ... only a few festivals here are worth checking
>from a music point of view. Werchter is not one of them ...

moloko's there. moloko is funky.

-----------------------------

what!? i'm not a charter member you say?
well, i've been a posting okayplayer since
june-07-01, with 255 posts under the alias
'purpleone' - so, what does that make me!?
8130, haha
Posted by si_ki_UK, Wed Jun-25-03 12:46 AM
damn are there no one-off shows around now? id got to glastonbury but if you didnt have those laminated passes you would realise how much tickets were before they sold out instantly & now go for μrands.

?uest i noticed your picture in the Guardian TV Guide today... tonight at 10.35 on BBC1 a "documentary" is showing with small interviews with a whole bunch of people, including Commm & i presume yourself.
"Imagine - The Hip-Hop Generation"
The premise sounds very 'outsider' but i guess there might be some vaguely interesting input...

8131, RE: haha
Posted by Pengedragon, Wed Jun-25-03 01:04 AM
bbc does hip hop ?

im not expecting great things but i'll be tuning in
8132, RE: haha
Posted by The_Soul_Controller, Wed Jun-25-03 03:52 AM
wow, Quest on BBC !!!!!

thats gunna be big !
8133, bbc
Posted by orph, Wed Jun-25-03 05:29 AM
lol you know the beeb only play the hip hop on weekends and _only_ on radio 1 lol but ill be tuning in at 10:35 for sure

Peace
8134, 1xtra
Posted by si_ki_UK, Wed Jun-25-03 05:50 AM
get to a friends with sky and stare at a blue screen while listening to excalibuh, hes had some nice shows... skitz and rodney have an alright show too, nuff amusement particularly from the p.......
8135, RE: 1xtra
Posted by Pengedragon, Wed Jun-25-03 06:53 AM
check benji b too

midnite thursday "deviation"

overtaken gilles as my favourite show at the moment
8136, RE: 1xtra
Posted by orph, Wed Jun-25-03 09:04 AM
damn

i totally forgot about that 1xtra , i dont watch tv but we got sky downstairs but my room is upstairs + they would never let me just stare at a blank screen

what about on digital radio?!?!
8137, RE: 1xtra
Posted by Pengedragon, Thu Jun-26-03 06:00 AM
>>
>what about on digital radio?!?!

yeah its on there too

check benji b tonite midnite

ALL OF YOU

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/tracklistings/benjib/benjitrax.shtml
8138, sorry
Posted by si_ki_UK, Wed Jun-25-03 11:28 AM
for getting any sort of hopes up.
that was as good as could be expected i suppose.
did anyone watch all of it? i switched off when he got to discussing 2pack shakur, who was followed by the -new- sound of dr dres g funk in the -new millenium-....
ugh...
8139, RE: sorry
Posted by dip10020, Thu Jun-26-03 02:46 AM
i didn't think much of that show either, i believe Alan Yentob set out to find out about hip-hop, yet he only explored the rapping side of it, and that was then narrowed down to gangsta rap, so the closest they got to a definition was someone on the street saying 'hip-hop is a culture'.
i didn't like the way he went to detroit, purely for the eminem connection, before he went to new york.

then there was the obligatory tupac asskissing, and the swizz beats part was totally pointless.

also, when talking about the portrayal of women in hip-hop, he example he used - ludacris' 'area codes' wasn't very well thought out, and if he had a researcher that knew hip-hop, he'd have a better example, as luda is totally tongue-in-cheek doing that stuff.

then the little girl sitting at home rapping at the table next to her parent just had me cracking up - did they put it in for comedy value?

but it wasn't all bad, as they did at least go to new york, and Stanley Crouch's analogy of the black man to the shark was poignant and warned of the dangers to hip-hop in the near future.
and ?uest, of course.

but it finished up totally inconclusive, and i felt like i'd sacrificed an hour's possible revision time for nothing.

Posted by Pengedragon, Thu Jun-26-03 06:05 AM
wasnt very good was it

but we expected that , non ?
8141, mojita
Posted by aoxomoxoa, Wed Jun-25-03 04:19 AM
GingerLynn beat her to it, http://www.okayplayer.com/journals/europe2k3/

... I had to give it that title
8142, word
Posted by DJ TANNER, Wed Jun-25-03 07:05 AM
glad to hear it quest...
this post makes me real glad I惴 on the other side of the pond this summer...
hope you bring some of that energy to barcelona as well...

8143, YOU sang PRINCE?
Posted by WuGambina, Wed Jun-25-03 07:40 AM
*gives right arm* what did you sing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking by faith and not by sight....
8144, NOT true Quest!!!
Posted by sorevolutionary, Wed Jun-25-03 08:24 AM
i mean i did report back on the brixton show (london) which was the usual brilliance! but i think quite a few people are beginning to take the quality of your shows for granted, hence the general lack of "let me rush back to my pc to tell the world about this amazing band no one's heard of.."

anyway, i can say that BT doing Rick James at Jazz cafe (london) was the highlight of that particular show, when i saw him at Plastic People, where you played a two hour set (which was baaaadddddddd!!!!! loved it), he said he had more in store for the brixton show, but i don't remember him taking it that far there, which is unfortunate, but can this be a microcosm of the inhibitions resulting from 'big' shows/'home' crowd???

anyway, hopefully someone recorded the wild antics so we can all get to appreciate.. oh and what prince did you 'try' to sing??lol ... i'm still laughing from "I didn't get mad, was calm and collect, I didn't call her bitch, I didn't break her neck"

peace.

"If you're not ready to die for it, put the word "freedom" out of your vocabulary" Malcolm X

"to get half as nice, you need twice your brain's potential"

8145, how far is eurockennes - belfort from paris???
Posted by Vette, Wed Jun-25-03 08:34 AM
my friend and i will be in paris from july 1-4 before headin' off to spain...so if folks can tell me how far belfort is from paris by train, i'd really appreciate it. thanks!
8146, send me out there
Posted by t510, Wed Jun-25-03 09:06 AM
i'll write rave reviews and sell them to all the mags

just pass me an expense report and show me the minibar
8147, come with me tara! hehehe n/m
Posted by Vette, Thu Jun-26-03 12:58 PM
8148, RE: europe
Posted by Skillz, Wed Jun-25-03 09:14 AM
You sang Prince? What song? Darling Nikki? LOL!!! Let Us know homie? The Barney Rubble song perhaps?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>damn y'all i sang PRINCE tonight in front of 6000 italians.
>
>
>whatup!?!

8149, i sang
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Jun-25-03 09:25 AM
your 8 mile defeat song:

my name is mc rubble and i'm here to say that
i love fruitty pebbles in a major way.....
8150, I see how it is
Posted by WuGambina, Wed Jun-25-03 09:31 AM
you can answer skillz but you can't answer me???? I asked before he did :oP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking by faith and not by sight....
8151, RE: I see how it is
Posted by Alpine, Wed Jun-25-03 10:59 AM
the diary said they sang Dove's cry......
Creative expression has no limits, and always delving deep within yourself is the key to individualism

Alpine--Da beneficent
Da beneficent
8152, barney rubble?
Posted by shwin, Wed Jun-25-03 09:42 AM
TROUBLE
8153, RE: i sang
Posted by Skillz, Wed Jun-25-03 01:13 PM
Not funny Ahmir! We gon see! We better not have that rap off again? I got joints in the stash. Oh yeah..I forgot to tell you. The BET Awards? Whoa!!! I witnessed Micheal Jackson puttin the cape on James Brown's back. Me & Musiq in the 4th row wildin. I swear when Mike gave him that award he was trembling. His hands were literally shaking,
>your 8 mile defeat song:
>
>my name is mc rubble and i'm here to say that
>i love fruitty pebbles in a major way.....

8154, name dropper
Posted by GirlChild, Sat Jun-28-03 07:02 AM
ha
8155, what's mojita?
Posted by Belief, Wed Jun-25-03 09:20 AM
what's in it? anyone...

8156, mojito
Posted by t510, Wed Jun-25-03 09:27 AM
rum, crushes limes, mint leaves and some sprite/club soda (depends on who makes it)

yummy yum yum

i prefer caipirinhas though (similar, but made with cachaca, a brazilian cane liquor and some sugar in addition to the mint and lime)
8157, thanks
Posted by Belief, Wed Jun-25-03 09:30 AM
someone's bound to ask me for one, and I can add it to my list of how to make white russians, black russians, cape cods and something called a nutty irishman.

8158, mojitos and the like
Posted by t510, Wed Jun-25-03 09:37 AM
are real big drinks right now...as are different flavored martinis too. i almost got caught up in all that mess but i stick with the trusty vodka tonic...and the occasional comfortable screw

i love vodka..i'm selling out my caribbean roots :(
8159, yes you are!
Posted by Belief, Wed Jun-25-03 09:49 AM
*holding my hand out for your caribbean pass*

8160, RE: mojito
Posted by Alpine, Wed Jun-25-03 11:03 AM
rum, crushes limes, mint leaves and some sprite/club soda (depends on who makes it)
yummy yum yum

i prefer caipirinhas though (similar, but made with cachaca, a brazilian cane liquor and some sugar in addition to the mint and lime)

signs of an alki or a bartender...which one are you.
also what authentic Carribean drinks are there.

Alpine--Da beneficent
Da beneficent
8161, im both
Posted by t510, Wed Jun-25-03 01:01 PM
actually im a recovering alkie..lol...my last display of public drunkeness was pretty bad.

well...mojitos and rum n cokes (cuba libres) are cuban

only 'authentic' drink i know is rum punch really...strong as shit too..but oh so good...hardcore caribbeans drink their rum straight...there are also rum creams (wray and nephew, maker of the craziest overproof u will ever drink makes one)..and haitians make one too..but not bottled like that..they usually cop barbancourt (5 star rum) and make it at home and pass it out to friends or maybe sell...that is the shit right there

but basically rum is the big drink out there..
8162, stateside mojito vs. real cuban mojito
Posted by h20molecule, Wed Jun-25-03 08:59 PM
you won't get a real mojito in most american bars. a real mojito is just equal parts lime juice and rum, lots of sugar until you "cut" the sour taste of the lime , ice and yerba beuna. you usually order true mojitos by the pitcher (Asas they are too hard to make individually) and let the ice mellow them out a bit before you start sippin' on it. the will get you messed up quickly as that lime and sugar overwhelm the tastebuds and nose (we smell liquor much more than we taste it...learned that one in bartender school) a true is a lot stronger then what the make in the states which has club soda in it to weaken it (so you order more throughout the course of the night) and mint which is easier to acquire than the yerba beuna. plus they don't even chop or crush up the mint.

h20
----------------------------------------------
if hip hop ever dies...it will be the day that all of us who fell in love with a new sound that was like nothing we ever heard before and kept being amazed as it grew and changed and morphed stop wanting to be challenged...it will be the day we make a bunch of unbreakable rules and accept it all as hip hop cannon, and the next musical form will have to born of a rebellion against all you reactionaries who wouldn't let it grow and change because your "love" was really obsession and you held on so tight that you choked her. it will be the day that young kids don't want to hear about hip hop anymore because they still listen with their hearts...in reality hip hop won't really be dead anyway, she will just have to undergo another name change like she always has...word to miles and dizzy. - kacy wilson

for the record i wouldn't say i cry a lot uncontrollably, but when alone if i feel like crying, i let it on out...shit is healthy and you feel great afterwards like you just had a really nice blowjob. - kacy wilson

8163, my first sony
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Jun-25-03 09:30 AM
i drank one in cuba...

then realized how i could get suckered into being an alcholic (i really dont smoke or drink...real drinkers dont consider "bitch drinks" like ameretto sour, baileys, godiva, or khalua and cream real drinks. they taste like milk shakes with a nice lil kick to it.

kinda like swimming in the wading pool while your mom lets your sibblings go off in the deep end.

a mo got rum, mint, and sugar. you really cant taste the alcohol init. that is until the shit hits you over the head like a ton o bricks...and you too will sing al. b sure's "off on your own" instead of "you got me".
8164, if nothing else will make me stay away from it
Posted by Belief, Wed Jun-25-03 09:32 AM
>you really cant taste the
>alcohol init. that is until the shit hits you over the head
>like a ton o bricks...and you too will sing al. b sure's
>"off on your own" instead of "you got me".

this will

8165, lol@Sony n/m
Posted by PAP, Wed Jun-25-03 10:23 PM

mixtapes and more: www.papichulo.de coming soon
8166, and...
Posted by roamr1, Thu Jun-26-03 07:33 AM
they keep your breath fresh. save for the stumblin and mumblin no one will know u're drunk.
8167, When you get a chance
Posted by Wendell, Thu Jun-26-03 10:02 AM
you should go to a "Churrascaria" or Brazilian BBQ joint.

We have a couple here in Chicago, the one I frequent is called Fogo de Chao.

They serve Mojito's there.

Peace

Wendell
8168, RE: europe
Posted by Chuebe1000, Wed Jun-25-03 11:23 AM
Two things -

Get it on the Roots live.com!!

or, Roots Come Alive, Vol., 2,3, 4

Do the Pearl Jam thing - sell every show! I'll buy em!

CH

8169, come correct
Posted by Tcallquest18, Wed Jun-25-03 11:38 AM
in montreux, it's costing me 215 bucks to see that show... oh what am i saying, you guys always come correct. just don't forget about my drum stick
8170, MOJO has a review of your brixton show
Posted by dro, Wed Jun-25-03 12:37 PM
i know it wasn't on this tour, but in case you hadn't seen it, in the new mojo w/ zepplin on the cover, there's a review. sort of skimmed through it so i can't tell u if it was positive or not...
8171, RE: europe
Posted by bassndaplace, Wed Jun-25-03 02:30 PM
>damn y'all i sang PRINCE tonight in front of 6000 italians.
>

now this would have been some shit to see =)
8172, Quest this is for you and your band.
Posted by gypsylady, Wed Jun-25-03 10:07 PM
I love the Roots and so do my girls. Quest, can we get a little rendition of Amore. When yall come to Louisiana yall seem shy or uptight. Yall got stupid fans in the south. I know my girls an I are big fans. Quest, I stood right next to you at the after party at the House of Blues New Orleans after your show this year but I was too chicken to say anything. I wanted to meet the band, but I was scared. Riq, Im lovin your flow, and Im way jealous we don't get to see your punjabi dance. I still love you guys.

Love yourself or nothing at all.

Ni
8173, RE: europe
Posted by gypsylady, Wed Jun-25-03 10:16 PM
Riq, Im sweatin you, big time.

Love yourself or nothing at all.

Ni
8174, RE: europe
Posted by lmilitant, Thu Jun-26-03 01:05 AM
so, it seems that the roots hate or hated italy....
why?

an italian fan
8175, RE: europe
Posted by Skunk_films, Thu Jun-26-03 02:57 AM
im an american-argentine kid doin an internship in Geneva and i just bought my ticket to see u in montreux (also Gilberto Gil and Maria Bethania if u know brazilian music) so im psyched
im havin a great summer i already saw u at bonnaroo but u didnt get enough time (the kid up front at Montreux goin buckwile with the bonnaroo shirt thats gonna be me!!!) my dads even in town and hes comin to see u guys for the first time, so im glad to hear u guys are doing good shows, p.s. the venue at montreux is called miles davis hall so if that dont inspire u what will?
8176, Africa
Posted by Konnex, Thu Jun-26-03 03:55 AM

all I'm saying is,WHEN ARE YOU GUYS DOING AFRICA???!!! Nairobi Kenya to be specific.My dad is an African dictator so that means we have a big ass palace where you guys can chill.Hell,bring your whole family and after the show,I will personally take you on tour of the national parks and beaches.Come on now!!! bring your shit back to it's "roots".

Hoops is everywhere. It's part of our DNA. It's common. It looks like we do -- black and white and brown and whatever other color or culture you are, rich and poor, book-smart and street-smart, inside and outside, hustling and soaring. It's where we see the mix of our lives, where guys who might not otherwise, talk to each other work like seamless, well-rehearsed ensembles. It's where folks who've known hardship find fame and fortune, and folks who've known fortune suffer hardship and loss. It's a game of heart, of our collective heart. We beat right along with it.

8177, Classic
Posted by Kream, Thu Jun-26-03 04:34 AM
>My dad is an African dictator
>so that means we have a big ass palace where you guys can
>chill.Hell,bring your whole family and after the show,I will
>personally take you on tour of the national parks and
>beaches.Come on now!!! bring your shit back to it's "roots".

And proud too! Lol..
8178, RE: Africa
Posted by dip10020, Thu Jun-26-03 09:52 AM
sometime during the week 22-29 august would be very nice

Posted by Mil, Fri Jun-27-03 09:35 AM
i believe we have a front runner.