Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecteveryone else is doing it . . .
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=7826&mesg_id=7933
7933, everyone else is doing it . . .
Posted by Smingers, Tue Jul-08-03 06:13 AM
so:

my roomate in college, first year, hipped me to the roots. i had heard of y'all before TFA dropped, a friend of mine i met on a trip through israel told me, "this fall, there's a new album dropping from THE ROOTS" and the name sounded familiar, "you HAVE to get it." i was like, whatever cracker . . . wasn't really into hip hop much back then.

anyway, i got TFA and it got under my skin. eventually, on a trip to toronto, i saw DYWM for like 5.99 canadian and got that. littled did i know it was about to go 7.99 nationwide in the states. whatever, i've got a canadian copy of the album, that's cool. i absolutely loved DYWM, being from more of a jazz background, i dug the music and especially the use of horns. it's still my favorite roots album, but i don't think it's the best. then i got Illadelph a few months later, mail order. got phren. the day it dropped, i would have organix but i've only seen it on vinyl for more than i want to pay. i do have all of the mp3's now, but i'd get it if it was seriously reissued. i like the vibe on that album.

man, i want the roots to just go wild and let loose in the studio again, with all their improved musicianship and skills. everyone says the seed was great cause it finally sounded rough around the edges. let's hear some more music like that.