Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectNot over-rated.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=7662&mesg_id=7697
7697, Not over-rated.
Posted by Whateva, Wed Jul-09-03 04:08 AM
>I think he's really over-rated. I mean he's refreshing. i'd
>rather listen to him than some other standart R&B dude, but
>he's copying too much. that album has too much stevie, and
>too much marvin! where's his own style??
>i dig his views. I like the way he's not afraid to say what
>he thinks, but frankly musically he can do better.
>
>my 2 cents...

Man I hate to reply to someone's honest personal views, but musically, this is by far the best R&B album to released in recent memory, hands down. He definitely has his own style. He may remind people of Marvin or Stevie because his he's just that good, musically speaking. It's like people said Kobe was styling himself after Jordan, but who cares if it works. Over-rated? Is this a gold selling album? It's been out since May. Stevie Wonder is by far one of the greatest songwriters/musicians/singers ever! There's no argument. Marvin Gaye... Did you see that DVD of his live show in Holland in 1976? Come on. If his music is compareable with the immaculate pieces they've released, look out!!! We have the ingredients of another soul legend! I saw his live show...Repeat after me.. ..not over-rated!! And dare I say it, his songs harbor some of the most compelling and practical social comments that I've heard since "Pieces of a man." In a time when it's simply not cool to be pro-black amongst blacks, he's definitlely an anamoly that our kids need like pure spring water. I don't see how any black person or anybody who appreciates great music could feel anything but positive about this album. In the age of assimiliation, "Cloud 9" is way overdue, which is sad. Why are we so afraid to state the truth. I think this album is God's response to FOX news(chuckling).

'til the wheels fall off.