Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectSWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=7268
7268, SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Jul-31-03 11:38 PM
okay---so "where is the love" comes on...and now that it's a bonnafide pop hit (number 9 on billboard charts...congrats wil, you wanted it (member that "competitive" remark?)--you got it) i decided to pay close attention to the song....and lo and behold---the beggining of each verse reminds me of someone else--sorta like reverse "ghost weeeeeeeeeeeed"

-first verse/cee lo
-second verse/biggie
-third verse/k-os

go listen--

now listen again...

see?!?!?! funny right?

now! for extra addage: what is up with guru and his multiple personalites?

remember ALONGWAYTOGO? on hard to earn? member how compressed and --well weird his voice sounded? kinda like someone imitating him? well all throughout this OWNERZ joint i realize that THIS GUY IS GURU:

the intro guy talkinng about his kids....that's guru

the second verse on "capture" is guru!?!?

til 1:41 seconds in "zonin'" i thought the second verse was someone else...

sheeeit even "eulogy" his voice is--so ungurulike.

i wonder what the recording process was like? only on dirty's albums could i hear an obvious punch in as in "oh he musta came back like 4 weeks later to do this punch in.

and how cool is it that primo kept a log of every dead person on that song? merlin santana (from cosby/steve harvey) threw me off. i wonder what that process was like? i forgot to thank my mom at the grammys---does prime keep a dead man log next to his accapella log? (saw the magic log while doing "devil's pie"--dude is so organized when it comes to accapellas--new word though prime--COMPUTER!)

anyway--marinate on that.

7269, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by dip10020, Thu Jul-31-03 11:50 PM
i noticed the k-os thing too...

When explaining yourself to the Police its worth being as reasonable as possible. Graffiti writers are not real villains. I am always reminded of this by real villains who consider the idea of breaking in someplace, not stealing anything and then leaving behind a painting of your name in four foot high letters the most retarded thing they ever heard.

Remember crime against property is not real crime. People look at an oil painting and admire the use of brushstrokes to convey meaning. People look at a graffiti painting and admire the use of a drainpipe to gain access.

The time of getting fame for your name on its own is over. Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a bi-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit. - banksy

7270, Guru...
Posted by Reignzer, Fri Aug-01-03 02:11 AM

I know EXACTLY what your talking about!

If you listen to the ILL KID LP, on the ILL KID intro his voice is exactly like it is on ALONGWAYTOGO...

I might depend on his mood.

-Rn
7271, Plus...
Posted by Reignzer, Fri Aug-01-03 02:14 AM
ZONIN' is such a different rhyme pattern we've seen from Gurizzy...

I dont think Guru will ever go stale, same for a few other MC's, such as BT!

"WE LIVE THIS SHIT!"

-Rn

7272, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by Justin_Maldonado_7, Fri Aug-01-03 02:11 AM

>-first verse/cee lo

co-sign...

I noticed the first time I heard it..

this was the closest one to getting it right though...

Confirm it with them and let us know..
7273, it's funny
Posted by Spread, Fri Aug-01-03 02:44 AM
that not many people bought or claim to like Cee-lo's solo joint, but I heard a lot of songs on the radio since and been like "Is that Cee-lo?"
of course it doesn't take long to figure out they are not, but I can tell folks are finally catching on to why he's a bad muthafucka.
That Missy song where she rapes the double-dutch bus sample? Sounds a lot like Cee-lo's opening track.
Dude from Nappy Roots?
there's a few others that don't come to mind.
But yea I see what you saying on that BEP song.
Personally, I don't hate BEP, they seem cool and are always coming with a positive vibe -gotta love that. But truthfully, I've always seen them as diet Roots. Not riding dicks, just stating facts.
piece
7274, RE: it's funny
Posted by jiggyjazzman, Fri Aug-01-03 03:18 AM
>that not many people bought or claim to like Cee-lo's solo
>joint, but I heard a lot of songs on the radio since and
>been like "Is that Cee-lo?"
>of course it doesn't take long to figure out they are not,
>but I can tell folks are finally catching on to why he's a
>bad muthafucka.
>That Missy song where she rapes the double-dutch bus sample?
> Sounds a lot like Cee-lo's opening track.
>Dude from Nappy Roots?
>there's a few others that don't come to mind.
>But yea I see what you saying on that BEP song.
>Personally, I don't hate BEP, they seem cool and are always
>coming with a positive vibe -gotta love that. But
>truthfully, I've always seen them as diet Roots. Not riding
>dicks, just stating facts.
>piece

In a review (which I cannot find for the life of me) of their first album, I referred to them as Roots lite or something like that. Not dissin' like you said, it's just how I saw them. I liked their first, went to see their live show, thoroughly enjoyed it, but I have yet to get into the second and I haven't even gotten to the third yet. And Cee-lo's steez is severely underrated. I was listening to the Dungeon Fam album recently and was thinkin dayum. This cat is nicer than I thought. And I ahve most of the Dungeon Fam's albums.

7275, Diet Roots
Posted by brother_donte, Sat Aug-02-03 11:18 AM
I wish I would've thought of that one first.

BROTHER_DONTE
misterbrother@aol.com

"Ishmal" by Muhibb Dyer

Yesterday, for the millionth time, a death was reported
in the Journal-Sentinel, and we said it was
"just another part of life."

Yesterday, for the millionth time, a mother was stripped of her baby boy, and we called her agony

Yesterday, someone woke up at their own funeral and realized that there will be no more monuments erected
in their honor

No schools will be named after them,
just another candle light vigil that will move
to the next block,
the very next day,
and we said, "it's just another part of life."

Yesterday, Ishmal died, and the only thing I can think
about is the sound of hypocrites screaming the proverb,
"It takes a whole village to raise a child."
They forgot that one child can raise a whole village...
can raise its intelligence, its economic worth,
its spirituality, and its entire value.

They have forgotten Ishmal,
and the saddest thing of all,
is they they won't remember him
until the phrase "just another part of life"
is applicable to them.
From the 2003 12-month calendar "The Children are Crying."

For more information, e-mail thechildrenarecrying@hotmail.com

More on "The Children are Crying" calendar:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/Metro/jan03/110295.asp

More on the Milwaukee poetry scene:
http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/music/jan03/109313.asp

Check out local hip-hop/spoken word act BLACK ELEPHANT at:
http://www.kairocom.com
(the site has finally been updated)

7276, LOL
Posted by swinger3421, Fri Aug-01-03 03:04 AM
True.
7277, the ownerz
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Fri Aug-01-03 06:04 AM
has some bad quality, shodding mixing or whatever in a couple parts.

there's hissing on some tracks, freddie foxx's vocal kinda distorted, so give premier bob power's number or something.
7278, that is the beauty of it
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Aug-01-03 08:43 AM
sheeeit--my bills be in the near millions at electric lady cause we pray to get a sound quality that bad.
7279, RE: that is the beauty of it
Posted by rl9, Fri Aug-01-03 09:00 AM
lol,so is that the d&d sound everybody's talking about?
7280, for what?
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Fri Aug-01-03 09:12 AM
intentional distortion of sound quality? for what? old or new stuff? some of it popped up on phren. and ec, right? i remember something like that, i think.

isn't there that story that beatles popularized that sound by accident, as pub players over-plugging into shitty amps and producing questionable-quality fidelity? trying to do that?

millions?
7281, that's what's "in" these days
Posted by Spread, Fri Aug-01-03 10:15 AM
I'm an engineer at a studio, and although I haven't done any big projects yet, I know people who have and the producers paid them very well to make the album sound like shit. Most of the time it's do to overproduction, but in some cases an artist wants to use a $300,000 console and $10,000-$20,000 dollar compressors, pre-amps and effects boxes to make it sound like it was recorded on a $5 fischer-price my first taperecorder. Silly to me.
But the problem is, if you do the whole thing ghetto-style with a cassette 4-track some radio shack mics and a casio keyboard, you're not gonna have a chance on getting playtime on a national radio station unless you have King Midas to master the thing. There are a few that can do it, but most people who master don't really do much and aren't really that good at what they do, but they are given a well-recorded and mixed album, and they just kinda move it through the process.
So I guess there has to be comprimise.
It's like drummers are always telling me "I want my drums to sound like Jon Bonham" and I'm like, "okay, go out and buy a different kit, play remotely like the dude, and I'll hang two mics and we'll see what happens." For real, technology can do a lot, but it has trouble denying itself, it that makes sense to anyone.
thank God for Jon Bonham. Played the fuck out of that big ass kick drum and made it okay to have "hard" beats on mainstream radio. Probably got some white folks to appreciate something new too. He was a beast.
7282, that's a lot of money for shit
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Fri Aug-01-03 10:20 AM
low quality=high satisfaction=why i'm not a musician

thanks for the bit on jon bonham, don't know where that came from, but always good to have the underappreciated get some shine (underappreciated in comparison to his bandmatess, that is)

he and mitch mitchell go in my white-boy hall of fame.
7283, RE: that is the beauty of it
Posted by KFresh, Sun Aug-03-03 10:33 AM
yeah man... i was up at the studio with Phat Kat one day... and they were mixing this joint jay dee sent over.. and he intentional put some grimy hiss in the track...

k

Renaissance Soul - http://www.rensoul.com - The place for Detroit Hip Hop - A new ERA coming soon....

Bling 47 Group - http://www.bling47.com (i do NOT do this site)

Other sites done by yours truly:
Tha Almighty Dreadnaughtz - http://www.killthadreadnaughtz.com
Paradime - http://www.dimesworld.com
Barak Records (Slum Village, Phat Kat, and Ess Band) - http://www.barakrecords.com

Phat Kat - http://www.ronniecash.com - Now for pre-order "Dedication to the Suckers" and 1st Down "A Day Wit the Homiez" CD re-releases with unreleased and unheard tracks, along with Phat Kat and 1st Down gear...

A new ERA is slowly coming upon us and it will be raining diamonds....

7284, I read in an article, Ownerz was one of the last albums
Posted by 6_1_flo, Sun Aug-03-03 03:22 PM
recorded in D&D studios before closing the location, where they edit by literally cutting tape on some ol skool ish.
7285, Cwazy degwees of difficulties...
Posted by Unscene, Fri Aug-01-03 06:30 AM
I'm still wondering if that was supposed to end up Put Up or Shut Up like that or not? And the blatant disregard for the quality of Freddy Foxxx's verse caught me off guard.

One.

Unscene

www.twoonefifth.com

"I'll take you back to Philly so you can find your Roots..." - Bumpy Knuckles

"We Philly, they really can't stop the force..." - BLACKTHOUGHT

"Chickenheads think I'm paid, guess that's why they give me dome. Shit, my dick's off the hook, they should call me Bizzy Bone." - Lonnie B
7286, RE: Cwazy degwees of difficulties...
Posted by jose3030, Fri Aug-01-03 04:14 PM
my favorite quote. LOL
7287, RE: Cwazy degwees of difficulties...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Aug-04-03 03:16 PM
i hope that was intentional..
7288, For some reason...
Posted by Unscene, Mon Aug-04-03 03:38 PM
I don't think that it was.

One.

Unscene

www.twoonefifth.com

"I'll take you back to Philly so you can find your Roots..." - Bumpy Knuckles

"We Philly, they really can't stop the force..." - BLACKTHOUGHT

"Chickenheads think I'm paid, guess that's why they give me dome. Shit, my dick's off the hook, they should call me Bizzy Bone." - Lonnie B
7289, yeah...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Aug-04-03 05:02 PM
...primo prob let it slide though
7290, So now its open season again on the Peas?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Fri Aug-01-03 07:14 AM
Remember, "Be nice to the BEPs"---Questo. Now we can make fun of them again? Can we talk about Will's capris? Can we make fun of Fergie (No Kim Hill, but you got Fergie? Brothas haven't we learned anything from Kobe's predicament? I would not be suprised if I saw the headline "Caucasian singer of rap group claims sexual assault by her bandmates" in USA Today in the upcoming weeks). Can we talk about their music sounding like Sesame Street rap music? Can we talk about Will dressing like he was Tobey Maguire's understudy in "Sea Biscuit" (By the way, whats up with that pants inside your boots thing? No seriously I really want to know. Is that a Cali thing?)
7291, LOL!
Posted by revelations1, Fri Aug-01-03 07:55 AM
Too funny

Get it all out huh?

I just don't like BEP's new stuff, new girl, new gear atall.

"But I am not tragically colored. There is no great sorrow damned up in my soul, nor lurking behind my eyes. I do not mind at all. I do not belong to the sobbing school of Negrohood who hold that nature somehow has given them a lowdown dirty deal and whose feelings are all hurt about it. Even in the helter-skelter skirmish that is my life, I have seen that the world is to the strong regardless of a little pirmentation more or less. No, I do not weep at the world-I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife."
-Zora Neale Hurston-
7292, haha
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Fri Aug-01-03 08:00 AM
Can we
>talk about Will dressing like he was Tobey Maguire's
>understudy in "Sea Biscuit"

lmao.

>(By the way, whats up with that
>pants inside your boots thing? No seriously I really want
>to know. Is that a Cali thing?)

nope. maybe a san francisco thing.

7293, slow your roll homie
Posted by Bo_De_Ga, Fri Aug-01-03 12:52 PM
>
>nope. maybe a san francisco thing.

7294, man what do you be talking about?
Posted by iam_czar, Fri Aug-01-03 09:08 AM

reject authority

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain
7295, talking about emotional schizophrenia
Posted by sun_das_ill, Fri Aug-01-03 10:13 AM
Umm... the Drums on "MAMA's GUN"...first calm then explosive rages to a quiet wisper.Dude,talk about Therapy.
Penitentiary Philosphy...this was like equivaliant to a Jackson Pollock painting.

Orange Moon...quiet then violent on some Jekell and Hyde shit

Green Eyes.... it's over this is the most emotional rollercoaster ass song fuckin' with Jimi

*arch eybrow towards post*
7296, honestly
Posted by Delete me, Fri Aug-01-03 11:28 AM
i don't like the ownerz at all.... i only bought the album because of playtawin and that hilarious hiney shit
7297, btw
Posted by Delete me, Fri Aug-01-03 11:29 AM
i haven't paid attention to guru's lyrics since he put out that baldhead slick compilation...
7298, whats wrong with noam chomsky?
Posted by codewarrior, Sat Aug-02-03 08:34 AM
n/m
7299, not again
Posted by Delete me, Sat Aug-02-03 11:40 AM
ever heard of transformational grammar?
7300, what's wrong with transformational grammar?
Posted by Chike, Wed Aug-06-03 05:35 AM
Having a hard time in a linguistics course? You should just make your sig what it is now + explanation, so as not to have to continually repeat yourself...

I'd feel pretty good about myself if I forever revolutionized an important field of study and THEN went on to become maybe the most vital commentator on the world's political situation.
7301, how is where's the love like ghost weed?
Posted by acidtabs, Fri Aug-01-03 03:13 PM
Get Rich Or Die Trying - 3.75/5
The Listening - 4/5
Joe Budden - 3.5/5

George Bush, you're lookin like Zoolander, tryin to play tough for the camera - MCA

Do you know who you are?
Do you know who you are fucking with?
Do you know, the access, to weapons, money and power
that we have? We will fucking kill you!

I'm the ugliest version of passed down toxic capitalist
rapid emcee perversion -- I'm America!
Your bleeding-heart liberal drivel gets squashed
Wash em with sterilized rhyme patriot-guided weaponry bomb
from the makers of the devious hearts -- I'm America!
You bitchy little dogs don't even phase my basic policy
The bomb's smarter, my Ronald Reagan's crush Carter
With Bay of Pig tactics makin young men into martyrs - El-P

The bottom line: Anyone who would brazenly steal an election and insert themselves into OUR White House with zero mandate from The People is, frankly – sadly – capable of anything. - Michael Moore

My mind keeps driftin' 'cause I haven't had a spliff in, a long time I'm doin' fine, I feel terrific - Snoop

Homer Jay Simpson quotes:

- He lied to us though song. I HATE when people do that.
- Can't talk...eating.
7302, smokin' ghost weed..
Posted by thebiach, Fri Aug-01-03 08:05 PM
let's you sound like other emcees, flow-wise...so instead of Phife, Black Thought and Pharoahe Monch, ?uest's sayin' they sound like Cee-Lo, K-Os and Biggie...

and if you notice on the Baldhead Slick album Guru sounds really high-pitched...it was the first time he recorded an entire album using Pro-Tools instead of doing it analog...maybe Premo used Pro-Tools on some songs for 'The Ownerz'...???
7303, But Guru has always had bad engineering work on his...
Posted by Abdurrashid, Fri Aug-01-03 10:36 PM
vocals...and some of the Gangstar albums....

I mean..some of the work that came out of D&D studios sound horrible....

"The camel never sees its own hump but that of its brothers is always before its eyes"- N.African proverb
7304, I thought that was Cee-lo at first
Posted by acidtabs, Mon Aug-04-03 07:55 PM
but i'm not hearing biggie or chaos. then again i change the station when it comes on.

Get Rich Or Die Trying - 3.75/5
The Listening - 4/5
Joe Budden - 3.5/5

George Bush, you're lookin like Zoolander, tryin to play tough for the camera - MCA

Do you know who you are?
Do you know who you are fucking with?
Do you know, the access, to weapons, money and power
that we have? We will fucking kill you!

I'm the ugliest version of passed down toxic capitalist
rapid emcee perversion -- I'm America!
Your bleeding-heart liberal drivel gets squashed
Wash em with sterilized rhyme patriot-guided weaponry bomb
from the makers of the devious hearts -- I'm America!
You bitchy little dogs don't even phase my basic policy
The bomb's smarter, my Ronald Reagan's crush Carter
With Bay of Pig tactics makin young men into martyrs - El-P

The bottom line: Anyone who would brazenly steal an election and insert themselves into OUR White House with zero mandate from The People is, frankly – sadly – capable of anything. - Michael Moore

My mind keeps driftin' 'cause I haven't had a spliff in, a long time I'm doin' fine, I feel terrific - Snoop

Homer Jay Simpson quotes:

- He lied to us though song. I HATE when people do that.
- Can't talk...eating.
7305, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Aug-02-03 06:16 AM

>
>i wonder what the recording process was like? only on
>dirty's albums could i hear an obvious punch in as in "oh he
>musta came back like 4 weeks later to do this punch in.
>

yea i caught that too. Guru's punches on that album are terrible. his punches are bad cuz his voice changes but listen to "Big Things" by Nas...he has a punch at "front page for a homicide" and the mixing is just unbelievably bad. the whole line is levels above the rest of the verse. check it out.
7306, peep pos on
Posted by qoolquest, Sat Aug-02-03 06:34 AM
"the breaks" on stakes is high. his last verse? vocal all distorted...he screaming at the top of his lung all of a sudden. it is hillarious that he goes to schoolboy cool style to rage in 3.6 seconds.
7307, why do these takes get kept?
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Aug-02-03 01:37 PM
no one in the studio says, "ahh, i don't think that's gonna work, let's do it again." the thing is, when it's 'your' album and 'your' song, you're gonna notice the punch everytime. i never punch for that reason. engineer is always like, "no one will even notice it besides you"...and i say "fuck that, i notice that shit...FROM THE TOP!"
7308, during these cold shower nights
Posted by ear2ear, Sun Aug-03-03 08:11 AM
moon you're my light"

I'm sorry, but that was one of the most noticable punches I've heard.
I mean, I noticed in during the album mix and then he ended up putting an acapella version out there too. damn
7309, I do punch-ins too...
Posted by Kalibur, Tue Aug-05-03 06:37 PM
but what I do is I rhyme over the piece before where I stop, so I can get back into the flow of things.

One of my producers likes punch-ins because everything comes out batter (especially for long verses)
Another of my producers hates it and has me doing the whole verse one time...
7310, BEP sounding like other rappers
Posted by brother_donte, Sat Aug-02-03 11:17 AM
Yet another reason to hate that song, yet they got what they wanted, a top ten hit and maybe even a platinum album. After that, I never want to hear from these cats again (at least if everything else is going to sound like their new stuff from here on).

Don't know what Will.I.am was thinking when he began that verse. No one told him that he sounded like Cee-Lo? For Taboo's verse, I would argue that he sounds more like Shyne. Sounds way too caricatured to sound like Biggie.

BROTHER_DONTE
misterbrother@aol.com

"Ishmal" by Muhibb Dyer

Yesterday, for the millionth time, a mother was stripped of her baby boy, and we called her agony

Yesterday, someone woke up at their own funeral and realized that there will be no more monuments erected
in their honor

to the next block,
the very next day,

is applicable to them.

7311, Capture (Militia pt. 3)
Posted by brother_donte, Sat Aug-02-03 11:21 AM
I can't even listen to that song because Guru sounds so weird.

But "Zonin'" is a fuckin' banger...at least one of Gangstarr's top 10 ever.

BROTHER_DONTE
misterbrother@aol.com

"Ishmal" by Muhibb Dyer

in their honor

to the next block,
the very next day,

is applicable to them.

7312, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by LOS357, Sat Aug-02-03 02:42 PM
You got the lyrics down to the T. The music reminds me of a City High joint. But it doesn't ever come across as a BEP joint until the DJ mentions it...
7313, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by SirLau, Sun Aug-03-03 09:50 AM
>okay---so "where is the love" comes on...and now that it's a
>bonnafide pop hit (number 9 on billboard charts...congrats
>wil, you wanted it (member that "competitive" remark?)--you
>got it) i decided to pay close attention to the song....and
>lo and behold---the beggining of each verse reminds me of
>someone else--sorta like reverse "ghost weeeeeeeeeeeed"

Is the single translating into album sales? If so then go do a song with Nick Cannon, and y'all can do a video where y'all battling on the drums a la Drumline. Go for it playa!!!!

7314, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by will i am, Sun Aug-03-03 01:46 PM
you cats is funny...
tab sounding like biggy.?.
or trying to.?.
come on...
he couldnt if he wanted to...

if i sat down and broke down any musis, from any group...
its gana song like something else...
apple sounding like k-os.?.
wow...
cee lo.?.
o.k i could see how you can say that...
i like cee-lo...
i have been influenced by alot of people...
de la
tribe
black sheep
jungle bro's
leadres
pharcyde

once in a while influences come through in your art, just like "other artist"...

"and whats wrong with that...??..."

all i got say is by business "skills" is working...

its 2003 and shit is getting stranger...
record industry sucks...
people aint going to that many shows...
records aint selling...
videos dont do shit or artist anymore...

radio radio radio...
lets go...
flood the airwaves...
with a message..
with something thast means something...
like it if you want...
hate it if you must...
but it means something...
so lets flood the airwave with it...
lets go...

shit is falling apart in the industry...
so imma think of CREATIVE "business" moves to keep shit together...

THATS MY DEFINTION...
who wanna record deal.?.
will.i.am

7315, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by will i am, Sun Aug-03-03 01:58 PM
"who wanna record deal"

wow that looks asshole like...
didnt mean it that way...
i reread it so im clearing myself before cats take it out of hand...
sarcasm doesnt work typed...

but i was being serious and funny at the same time...
so at the head of the year, i will be looking sign things over at a&m interscope...
so touring all over the planet will work in more than many ways this time around....
will.i.am

7316, say that then
Posted by Dove, Sun Aug-03-03 02:18 PM
7317, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)...I almost...
Posted by apache3000, Sun Aug-03-03 02:56 PM
had a record deal....naw..

I bet WIll almost had about 300 demos sent his way though...due to that last comment. If he (you) aint already up to his neck in "demos"...

"nobody wants to miss the next Van Gogh"
c. Basquiat/the flick
7318, preach@!`
Posted by shwin, Mon Aug-04-03 04:25 AM
yessssir
7319, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by dgonsh, Thu Aug-07-03 12:45 PM

>but i was being serious and funny at the same time...

wow! someone sure likes themself. lol/

peace, dgonsh

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

7320, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by SirLau, Sun Aug-03-03 02:30 PM
>you cats is funny...
>tab sounding like biggy.?.
>or trying to.?.
>come on...
>he couldnt if he wanted to...
>
>if i sat down and broke down any musis, from any group...
>its gana song like something else...
>apple sounding like k-os.?.
>wow...

Yo dude I can't front, I think the records wack, but I respect you as an mc, especially after seeing you rock on your show while dude from the rock band (forgot which one) was on drums, that was dope. The record ain't my cup of tea, I tried to like it, sorry but I'm sure you'd rather me have an opinion on ur stuff than none at all. Peace
>cee lo.?.
>o.k i could see how you can say that...
>i like cee-lo...
>i have been influenced by alot of people...
>de la
>tribe
>black sheep
>jungle bro's
>leadres
>pharcyde
>
>once in a while influences come through in your art, just
>like "other artist"...
>
>"and whats wrong with that...??..."
>
>all i got say is by business "skills" is working...
>
>its 2003 and shit is getting stranger...
>record industry sucks...
>people aint going to that many shows...
>records aint selling...
>videos dont do shit or artist anymore...
>
>radio radio radio...
>lets go...
>flood the airwaves...
>with a message..
>with something thast means something...
>like it if you want...
>hate it if you must...
>but it means something...
>so lets flood the airwave with it...
>lets go...
>
>shit is falling apart in the industry...
>so imma think of CREATIVE "business" moves to keep shit
>together...
>
>THATS MY DEFINTION...
>who wanna record deal.?.
>will.i.am

7321, LMAO!! damn thats ruff but true....
Posted by Abdurrashid, Sun Aug-03-03 03:32 PM
>>you cats is funny...
>>tab sounding like biggy.?.
>>or trying to.?.
>>come on...
>>he couldnt if he wanted to...
>>
>>if i sat down and broke down any musis, from any group...
>>its gana song like something else...
>>apple sounding like k-os.?.
>>wow...
>
>Yo dude I can't front, I think the records wack, but I
>respect you as an mc, especially after seeing you rock on
>your show while dude from the rock band (forgot which one)
>was on drums, that was dope. The record ain't my cup of tea,
>I tried to like it, sorry but I'm sure you'd rather me have
>an opinion on ur stuff than none at all. Peace
>>cee lo.?.
>>o.k i could see how you can say that...
>>i like cee-lo...
>>i have been influenced by alot of people...
>>de la
>>tribe
>>black sheep
>>jungle bro's
>>leadres
>>pharcyde
>>
>>once in a while influences come through in your art, just
>>like "other artist"...
>>
>>"and whats wrong with that...??..."
>>
>>all i got say is by business "skills" is working...
>>
>>its 2003 and shit is getting stranger...
>>record industry sucks...
>>people aint going to that many shows...
>>records aint selling...
>>videos dont do shit or artist anymore...
>>
>>radio radio radio...
>>lets go...
>>flood the airwaves...
>>with a message..
>>with something thast means something...
>>like it if you want...
>>hate it if you must...
>>but it means something...
>>so lets flood the airwave with it...
>>lets go...
>>
>>shit is falling apart in the industry...
>>so imma think of CREATIVE "business" moves to keep shit
>>together...
>>
>>THATS MY DEFINTION...
>>who wanna record deal.?.
>>will.i.am

"The camel never sees its own hump but that of its brothers is always before its eyes"- N.African proverb
7322, Maybe you need to work with me
Posted by guest, Sun Aug-03-03 03:15 PM
Diddy. Im gonna be up here makin hits. But first get me some cheesecake.
7323, I heard that new tune once
Posted by OceanBrooks, Mon Aug-04-03 01:21 AM
on the radio back in May
ain't heard it since and i ain't picked up the album yet
but i live in london and i don't listen to radio
so thats to be expected
it ain't gettin no club love out here
but i can't even remember if its a club type tune

I like the BEPs tho i thought their 2nd album woulda got far more love than it did that tune with Macy was made for radio
and the one with clef too but hey such is life

I only seen the peas live once in Birmingham opening for Macy
The show was hot but the crowd didn't have a clue bout who the peas were and then u got me and my ex girl goin banana's in the front row it was almost like they were performing exclusively for us 2 Will even came down and said hi during Macy's set

I'm glad they gettin some shine now with the MTV thing and the Chart positions thats good to see

As for the sound quality thingy that everyone's bin on about its given me hope for just gettin my shitty home recordings out to a mastering dude and then pressing em up cos waitin for this major label deal is gettin tedious
7324, the first "ok" wars? (gasp!)
Posted by qoolquest, Mon Aug-04-03 02:02 AM
--just joshing...

take it light wil, these are what we call lighthearted posts. i thought of the ghostweed/de la skits when i heard the verses. simply because only for the first 2 or 3 lines do all 3 of your verses go back to your regular speaking voices.

welcome to the okayiiiiiiiide.

perhaps cats used my lighthearted joke as a means to trojan horse ugly statements (believe it or not this was really just a guru post--but the video came on as i was typing)

no love lost.
just funnin'

7325, funnin is the most countrified word ever.
Posted by Dove, Mon Aug-04-03 03:59 AM

7326, RE: funnin is the most countrified word ever.
Posted by apache3000, Mon Aug-04-03 04:50 AM
Dove...the most funnified word ever...

psych"

Hi Dove

no one wants to miss the next Van Gogh

c. Basquiat/the flick
7327, what about quest v. dangelo?
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Mon Aug-04-03 03:30 PM
wasn't that the first "ok war"? or is it like biggie with hit 'em up-d'angelo never responded, so it's not?

quest v. will.i.am-lyrics:draw
quest v. will.i.am-music:quest
quest v. will.i.am-fight:quest

the winner is: fergie
7328, RE: the first "ok" wars? (gasp!)
Posted by Skillz, Tue Aug-05-03 05:29 AM
Ok now I hear that song a whole different way! Thanks alot bud! HAhahahahahaha!
7329, Awwww.....Questo got bitched by a nigga.....
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-03 10:50 AM
who there is 95% chance was wearing capris while he typed his response. Don't be afraid of Will.i.am Quest. Stand by your statement dammit don't make excuses. Your crew is deeper than BEP. Plus Black Thought got a crib with gat and a Grammy on the shelf. But watch out for the Indian dude in BEP, I heard he fights dirty. And the Asian dude is liable to hit you with a blow dart in the neck piece.
7330, RE: SWITCH UP...(change my pitch up?)
Posted by musikluva, Tue Aug-05-03 06:53 AM
god dammit!!! speak on it!!! i have been following you cats for a while now and i don't think that there has been a better trio than the bep's. it's funny how when people come out and try to bring some of the rawest ish, people hate!! with that said...tru tabs voice on "where is the love" is different...tru apl may sound like k os, or does k os sound like apl???...as far as you're concerned, you're "willie" so just handle that ish!!! just drop the musik. elephunk is some of the craziest ish that has come out in a while!!!

to continue, someone like myself has no credibility in respect to people such as you and ?uest, but check this out. y'all make musik for us to listen to. your (root's, bep's) musik is what keeps cats like myself wanting to keep hiphop alive. as you said, not many people are buying albums or checking out the live shows. sad but true.

in respect to the bep's, you cats are on some cool ass feel good ish. man, my momma jams to you cats in her car!! keep droppin the musik becasue as long as it is out there people will buy it and catch the live show. i'm telling you, i've been to more than a few shows and both y'all groups along with blackstar have got to be tightest shows ever!!!!

keep doin it y'all!!!!

"i know i'm not the only one that's feelin' annoyed...kreatively hiphop is bein' destroyed...a lot of rappas really gotta be unemployed 'cause the topics that they talk about has got me annoyed..."
will-bep's

"i see you try to dis our fuction by stating that we can't rap...is it cause we don't wear tommy hilfiger or baseball caps?..we don't use dollars to represent...we just use our inner sense and talent..."
apl-bep's

"es asi, si asi, musica es para mi, para ti, para te, si tu puedes entender, mueve le, mueve le, para hombre y mujer, asi es, eso si tu puedes conocer..."
tab-bep's

that's some real shit people!!! hey wil, if you get this tell tab that his sister's friend carlos said what up and we miss you!!!

both of your groups are on some top notch ish that ain't no one else gonna compete with.
7331, Put this on a B-side track
Posted by brother_donte, Wed Aug-06-03 03:40 AM

>once in a while influences come through in your art, just
>like "other artist"...
>
>"and whats wrong with that...??..."
>
>all i got say is by business "skills" is working...
>
>its 2003 and shit is getting stranger...
>record industry sucks...
>people aint going to that many shows...
>records aint selling...
>videos dont do shit or artist anymore...
>
>radio radio radio...
>lets go...
>flood the airwaves...
>with a message..
>with something thast means something...
>like it if you want...
>hate it if you must...
>but it means something...
>so lets flood the airwave with it...
>lets go...
>
>shit is falling apart in the industry...
>so imma think of CREATIVE "business" moves to keep shit
>together...
>
>THATS MY DEFINTION...
>who wanna record deal.?.

You should flip this into a B-side track for your next single. If you really wanted to have some fun, you can switch your pitch up on every other lyric.

I'm feelin' this idea myself. Tell your label to quit BS'in and make me y'all A&R. I gotta plan to help y'all lock down the world.

But until then, I remain skeptical about "Elephunk."

Stay up.

BROTHER_DONTE
misterbrother@aol.com

"Ishmal" by Muhibb Dyer

in their honor

to the next block,
the very next day,

is applicable to them.

7332, Archieve...this post is funny..
Posted by Abdurrashid, Mon Aug-04-03 07:09 PM
7333, The irony of this post is...
Posted by Waterdude, Tue Aug-05-03 08:04 AM
the name of the song is called "Where is the love"...

7334, LOL!!! ya'mean....
Posted by Abdurrashid, Tue Aug-05-03 09:33 AM
>the name of the song is called "Where is the love"...

7335, mad love for the peas........
Posted by amplified, Tue Aug-05-03 07:45 PM
seriously...stop hatiin on the doood...you gotta respect his moves....his production is ill.....but what sets him aprt in my books...is his energy..Will.I.Am knows how to deliver....period.
<note to black eyed peas when your on top doods try and break you down> even though you guys got a long ways to go...keep it up...eff the critics.......

"oooohhh people...you build me up to break me down" - Tre from pharcyde......

your show in t.o was one of the best shows if not the best i've ever been too.

7336, I got mad love and respect for Will believe dat....
Posted by Abdurrashid, Tue Aug-05-03 08:31 PM

post is still funny.....

7337, i thought it was a CITY HIGH song
Posted by TotalRequestloveLive, Wed Aug-06-03 04:33 AM
I was at work, so the volume was kinda low... I coulda swore it was City High.... thats just how bitched out of a song Where's The Love is.

p.s- At least that City High chick is gorgeous. I saw fergy live and she was cute, but from what I've seen of her in the video and shit? ehhhhh nope. You know SOMEONE in that group is getting in the draws.

-Total....
7338, YO Will
Posted by PoeticAfrkan, Wed Aug-06-03 09:17 PM
Lost Change is the sheet,i was sleeping on that joint for a long time,i love y'r production style.

Albums Currently on Rotation:

1.King Britt - When the funk hits the fan
2.Ursula Rucker - Supa Sista
3.Donnie - Coloured Section
4.Will I am - Lost Change
5.J-Zone - Sick of bein rich
6.Ronnie Jordan - Antidote
7.Jazzyfatnastees - Once & Future

7339, Lost Change was really dope
Posted by TotalRequestloveLive, Thu Aug-07-03 07:24 AM
thats gotta be my favorite release from the BEP camp. People need to check that out... its right up there with Dilla's for the best Beat Generation release to date
7340, im guessing "i am," bwahahaha! wow i love myself
Posted by dgonsh, Thu Aug-07-03 12:47 PM
peace, dgonsh

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

7341, early Tupac = same as guru
Posted by TotalRequestloveLive, Thu Aug-07-03 07:27 AM
on Pac's first two album, his voice was always sounding different. It would be all deep on the interludes, i.e. "4 niggas teach more niggas"