Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: hmmmmm...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=6440&mesg_id=6512
6512, RE: hmmmmm...
Posted by Shawn_Gee, Fri Sep-12-03 07:29 AM
>>or the 1000
>>"fmwj....why I hate Phrenology"
>
>how does this not fall into constructive criticism? you
>can't hate something anymore?

Of course you can HATE whatever you want....and I don't mean to single out fmwj because there are many more that are far worse than him, but his criticism which became overkill sticks out in my mind. For example, when Phrenoology first came out fmwj did a review of the album, song for song, gave his opinion on each song and his theory which supported his opinion. It was a great critical post......when I read it I forwarded it to my partner and we (the Roots management team) both appreciated his opinion, agreed with some of it and disagreed with some...but it provoked thought. HOWEVER, after the initial post fmwj continued to post in every single thread how much he hated the record.....he started numerous othe posts talking about how much he hated the record, and even when there was a positive post or two, he would immediately blast the post with his opinions...this went on for weeks. Now the first post or first coupe stating your opinion is cool...whether its negative or positive....but we don't need nor do we appreciate ecessive feedback from either extreme dickriders or extreme critics. and that is what I see happening is the extremists who post "I hate E Circus" 20 times a day are outweighing those critical fans that we could use as a barometer when trying to gauge the response of our fanbase. This (OKP.com) could easily just be a marketing vehicle where we shove shit down your throats but ?uest wanted to truly interact with the community to see what his fans (and those who weren't necessarily fans) were thinking, but it has turned into a "how many times can I let u know that I think TFA was wack" community

>>Is he REALLY considering starting another site with password
>>protected (and possibly pay) sections where he can converse
>>with true fans that will offer true constructive criticism
>>without constant "bashing"?
>
>sounds like he's looking for a bunch of yes-men.

No sir (or ma'am), he is looking for a group of people that will give him an honest opinion that he can engage in intelligent conversations with and use their opinions as a sample of the way the entire Roots fanbase feels about a song, a movie, a show or whatever else. That's all.....no yes men, no dickriders, no extremists, just a cool group of people that he can converse with.

If you can't understand that and you don't think the conversation on the boards have been extreme, then oh well.