Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectput away your forks...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=6165&mesg_id=6332
6332, put away your forks...
Posted by Tariq3, Sat Sep-20-03 09:32 AM
>-in the road. chalk it up to preferences again, but a lot of
>what you said is holding the roots back is what i love about
>them.

same here. I don't need image and gimmicks to see the talent. Actually, the image and gimmicks really work against you in my school of thought.

>it's like i said before about knowing what to expect.
>this is also a good thing and a bad thing, but i think it's
>something an artist can't help (it's them being themselves,
>anything else wouldn't be true, right?) & it's crazy because
>it's not like no one's ever heard of the roots.

see that's the thing. People are hip to The Roots. 10 years in the game and responsible for introducing other talented folks into the industry. People know about The Roots. But I think it's for the reasons I stated that they haven't gained a level of mainstream notariety.

what are all
>of the reasons for them not selling like a nelly, or an
>eminem? is it JUST the pop angle of it? black thought has
>all the fundamentals & the best band in the business behind
>him, so why isn't he noticed like big or jay?

It's Thought. It's just him being him. It goes back to the point I made about being able to take the show element and bleed it on tape in recording sessions. It comes natural for Jay and Big. There personalities came thru. There's something lacking with Thought and it may very well be the narrative aspect that Quest pointed out some time ago.

>is it the
>label?

Well, I'd say that the label fiascos have done their share of hindering the marketing and media opportunities for the crew. There's been some prime opportunities that should have been taken advantage of during their career that the labels have faltered on severly.

Even up to know. I almost feel like sending Quest a personal letter pleading to him to get Complexity released as a single/video. That song is infectious and relateable. From a hype standpoint people are looking for Jill. What better way to glean some light off of Jills success with a dope video for the song. Thought and Jill kill it. Add in my recommendation to have the 'Tunes remix it and you've got yourself one hell of a 2-part video.

i've always thought that the roots feel like the
>extra recognition would be nice, but i don't think they care
>THAT much. aside from maybe money, i'm sure they're
>well-stocked in the appreciation dept.

It's respect. They got it. The love is what they don't have.

>but, i agree that
>they're one radio hit away from that fame. & if they never
>get it, black thought will still be the best because he's
>that damn good....

I agree there which is why I made my prior statements. Thought is my favorite MC and the case can easily be made for him being "technically" the best MC. However, it remains that he doesn't have the notariety like an LL, Kane, Jigga, Big, Pac, etc...He doesn't have household name status yet.