Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWho'm I to tell you which music to relate to...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=6165&mesg_id=6279
6279, Who'm I to tell you which music to relate to...
Posted by volleyneck, Mon Sep-15-03 05:58 AM
(title becomes prevelant in a sec... but first)
Pac and Biggie:
>but they get so much attention b/c they are dead. lets just
>admit it.

Have you seen video tapes of how crowded the streets of Brooklyn were when Biggie's body was rolled out in the herst? Those people didn't develop "so much attention" over-night. And Pac?? Pac's post-death existence is nothing like BIG's. More work has been released under Pac's name after his death, than was released in Biggie's entire career. And I, hopefully just like many other listeners, have the ability to step back and "just listen" objectively: ignoring the "white noise" of everything besides "MCing".

>i mean i like them and they can command a mic like very few.
>true that 2pac may be the most respected, but the best? no.

Right now, with my previous statements in mind, Pac is at least tied for 3rd -- no less than 4th; which is close enough. But I think all this "best" talk is too subjective. Like ricky said earlier, what constitutes "meaning" and importance regarding one rapper fluctuates with each listener. Skills on the mic are what a lot of it's about, but in order for you to say "this dude is no. 1 period" -- as a listener, you're probably going to want more.

Youngins today might grow up and remenisce on how listening to the "care-free" (*ahembullcoughshitahem .... sorry*) nature of Pop-rap like Lil' John or Lil' Romeo or Bow Wow, helped them escape from the depressive post 9-11/ Iraqui war times. Now anyone who who has a remote knowledge of hip-hop can discern that comparing the skills of the two genres is an unforgiveable sin. But who am I to tell someone "yeah, that music takes you to the zone, and reminds you of feelings of childhood serenity; but it's garbage compared to my mens". An artist can have all the skills, but if you don't feeeeel his/her words -- you quickly forget them, and they slip into the background.

>biggie also is respected but his catalog is rather
>dissapointing.

True, but just the fact that he accomplished/ earned so much (both BEFORE and after death) in such a short time-span , I think his catalog's value is automatically upped.