Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectShall we duel? *raises sword*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=6165&mesg_id=6271
6271, Shall we duel? *raises sword*
Posted by volleyneck, Mon Sep-15-03 01:23 AM

>compare Pac's flow to Monch or Biggie's or even the man in
>question Black Thought
>
>Pac was nowhere near as versatile a rhymer

Monch? idunno, but I do hear things (i hear some things)

BIG - toushe. When i think of Juicy - I sigh and say "that's flow" - one of the few rap songs I can rehearse word for word (well, close at least)

BT - I love his flow, I'll yell that from the mountaintops. But, and I don't mean to dogg him on his own site, compared to Pac? I'm listening to "Only God Can Judge Me Now" ... now... and remember the *I'm going to quote here, so if you know it you can just scoot on past*

"Dear Mamma can you save me
And fuİ peace cause the streets got our babies
We gotta eat
No more hesitation, each and every black male's trapped
and they wonderin' why we suicidal runnin' round strapped
Mista police, please try to see
that there's a million motherfuİers dressin just like me
Only God can judge me"

Now, ignoring the profound nature of this verse -- I think his flow is on point. He's not only doing the Rakimesque word-play (rhyming ABC, then BBC, then BAC, and finally to CCA or something -- but making it work) but the delivery in the song itself sounds incredible -- just like acting (I liked the James Dean example)

>hence the repetitive nature of his songs- and the fact
>thathe seemingly made the same songs over and over again
>only reinforces this repetitiveness

Ouch! *gets stuck w/shock's sword again* Toushe! Repetition is a fault, true.
But it's hard to cover almost every aspect of life in a 10 page paper. He has one of the largest volumes of hip-hop work, and I would prefer for some of it to overlap instead of having holes. Now, both BT and Biggie's work are very extensive ... but I don't think they quite have Pacs' level of breadth.

>but with Pac it's more about his passion and his ability to
>make the listener really feel what Pac was saying. and he
>was undeniably charismatic, so much so that he's damn near
>worshipped around the world to this day

I said this to ricky butler -- the man gives you his heart in *almost* every song, makes you feel his heart pound; actually feeeeeel İBruce Lee (someone's sig) the words .....

>basically, as a rapper, tupac was a great actor- to me he's
>hip-hop's James Dean

lovely analogy