Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectok. let this be it....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=6165&mesg_id=6230
6230, ok. let this be it....
Posted by kinetic94761180, Fri Sep-12-03 09:01 PM
-ok, im'mna put the nail in the coffin right now. you summed it up well. i don't think that anyone, including everyone who's disputed on this post, will doubt thought's ability to hold a show down, w/ the only comp. coming from krs-one who has been to roots shows & given praise (there's your proof ricky butler. again, read up.) and as far weak verses & screwing up goes, great mc's can do that and still be great. i think that's the beautiful thing about the elite. i feel as though the one thing that we leave out when ranking the best is stage presence. that's why i look at some of these cats & their posts like what?! look at 50 cent, who is arguably the hottest act in "all-around hip-hop" right now. he sounds HORRIBLE live, & i dare anyone to dispute. now, chalk it up to exp. or whatever you will, but tariq has however quickly become the best at knowing what to say & when to say it, seldom leaving anyone listening unsatisfied. some speak of the seed 2.0 like a downfall on thought's part & i look at it as further proof on his range. i don't see this cut as something that holds him down, but moreso as a track that displays his ability to adapt. maybe ya'll don't understand where i'm coming from, but somebody has too. this is where his consistency comes into play. no matter what mc you name, you can always expect that mc to be what you expect, w/ any surprises being just that & however much of a "boost". i can even take it back to organix, because the range & consistency that i speak about was noticed from back then. read up on the man's influences, & you'll find that those who SHOULD be on these fake-ass lists that ya'll are making are the one's that tariq admires. he has touched on almost every subject thinkable in flow. even his "weakest" verses are better than some of the words you hatin' ass punks live by. and the fact that he's in the midst of his prime at most leaves me to trust that if he's not one of the best now, he will be soon. time'll tell....