Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectwho the hell is eddie?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=6165&mesg_id=6192
6192, who the hell is eddie?
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sun Sep-14-03 04:00 PM
>>rakim
>
>what has he done for me lately, eddie?

who is eddie?

rakim coulda retired and left his legacy thorough. he hasn't done shit lately, but what was thought doing in 85?

>>pharoahe monch
>
>this is a debatable call- sure he's got a great flow- but he
>doesn't have the catalog to match thought's

he has two unquestionably classic albums, two more, and another on the way.

>BT is better, for mine

majority of the time dude, until recently, was "rhymin for the sake of riddlin." one of nas' best (i gave you power) is stolen from an organized konfusion idea years earlier. man had depth and content and lyrics and flow. he is my GOAT.

>>common
>
>black thought has a much better flow, and is more versatile
>common IS great- but he's not seeing Black Thought

back to my "rhymin for the sake of riddlin'." common has put out three lyrical gems. black has put out? this is not sarcasm, just a query. i mean don't get me wrong, black thought is an incredible mc to me. i have never been fortunate to see his live show, so i'm just going off albums. and just off of albums, i believe these other dudes are "more incredible."

>>ras kass
>>aceyalone
>both these guys got skills- but can they rock a show like
>thought?

wouldn't know.

>>ghostface
>
>hell no
that's probably just a personal favorite that clouds my vision.

>>kool keith
>
>no. no, he isn't.

geek boy comes out in me. ultramagnetic, dr. octagon, and bits and pieces recently puts him up there.

>>big daddy kane
>no- thought surpassed him and has a better catalog

i can concede that, but it wasn't like i had a completely thought out least i'll admit. i responded, quickly i believe, and was listing off the dudes who are at the top of my list. big daddy kane is up there, but thought can take this one.

>>chuck d
>no, he's not a better emcee than thought. he's got a great
>voice and historically PE could well be the best GROUP in
>hip hop

maybe it's the "i always wanted something to stand for" part of me, but chuck d (public enemy) represents the epitome of hiphop to me. when a twelve year white kid on a saturday afternoon can put on "it takes a nation" and get chills, that stays with you.

>i think that Black Thought doesn't get the respect he
>deserves because he's part of a group

of course he doesn't. it was a crime when vh1 put the roots on their top 50 list and just mentioned the band thing, neglecting BT.

all those emcees i've mentioned are 5 mic fellas in my mind. thought is too. i just hold them higher, for the most part.