Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectit's so easy to be negative
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=5685&mesg_id=5734
5734, it's so easy to be negative
Posted by spirit, Sat Dec-20-03 11:54 AM
sorry, i can't co-sign on this song, yet another "look at everything that's wrong with black people" moment. i could hear that on the street corner for free, homeboy. no particularly insightful lines and borderline self-hatred. reminds me of how i cringed reading speech from arrested development in an interview trying to explain the difference b/t black people and n-----s (a difference that chris rock brought up years later in an admittedly funny but IMO equally destructive way).

the main problem i have with the song is there are lots of people who aren't black that have these same inadequacies. hearing black people dis other black people for (insert inadequacy) is boring to me at this point. but then, i've read/heard so many writings/speeches from black nationalists covering this same ground that it seems old to me. you gotta bring a fresh angle if you're going to touch on this. or just bag on fucked up people generally.