Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectNEW AUDIO(link inside)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=5685
5685, NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Skillz, Wed Dec-17-03 10:43 AM
Enjoy, it's bound to hurt someone's feelings! But what else is new?
http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=774982&q=Hi
5686, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Kwelifications, Wed Dec-17-03 10:44 AM
it's excellent, good work my good man
5687, this is a cool song-
Posted by kinetic94761180, Wed Dec-17-03 10:53 AM
-i like verses like this (playing everything off that one direct topic) explain to me what the dilemna is w/ your material being released (sorry if i'm kicking a dead horse, i missed the previous disc.)
5688, man, you a funny dude rocking the soundclick...
Posted by Reignzer, Wed Dec-17-03 10:59 AM
-Rn
5689, RE: man, you a funny dude rocking the soundclick...
Posted by Skillz, Wed Dec-17-03 11:03 AM
It's called by any means nessecary my man! Oh by the way the title is "Niggaz"! But that wasnt hard either was it!
5690, I hear you...
Posted by Reignzer, Wed Dec-17-03 11:06 AM
...thats you on that beat too?

-Rn
5691, RE: man, you a funny dude rocking the soundclick...
Posted by Skillz, Wed Dec-17-03 11:08 AM
It's called by any means nessecary my man. oh by the way the song is called "NIGGAZ" in case you couldnt tell.
5692, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by J5RootsKweliJ5, Wed Dec-17-03 11:13 AM
nice beat, comin nice as usual with the lyrics also. will this be on the rawkus version of "I aint mad no more"? can't wait for 2003 rap up.
5693, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by dj_infinite76, Wed Dec-17-03 11:23 AM
When he did this at the last beat society, I was going bananas plus he did it to one of his best older tracks.
5694, first of all...
Posted by rubberbaby_ed1, Wed Dec-17-03 11:26 AM
...because I think this matters here:

I'm turkish, living in switzerland, so I'm white.
I try to be black in the meaning of being able to clap on the 2 and the 4 intuitionally.

I'm impressed by black people. First group that made me listen to hip hop, Arrested Development, made me think I'm black - "Mr. Landlord step off my yard!" was the first verse I knew.

James Brown got me. Parliament kills me. Bill Withers, Prince, ... add all of them ... shit so many.

I don't know what gave me so much respect for your culture. All the Muhammad Ali bios (not only "when we were kings")?

I think what impresses me is the emotions, the soul, the *P* - the funk. I sang european church music from the age of 7 to 13 ... It impresses me so much, I'm living for it.

BUT: Speech was maybe the best introduction to your culture. Things like:"you acting as if black is a warranty for talent" made me think about black people from different point of views.

Now, ten years later i have to admit: There is no such thing as "the black human". There are so many different people, it's as useless to think of a definition for blacks as for whites.

MY black man is soulful AND intelligent. This fits as well with Bill Cosby as with Prince.

But there is also the dull one being black, the racist being black, the on the 1 and the 3 clapping being black.

It's useless to give your culture attitudes that fits with every black. But then it's also not true that all of you stop just before the finish line (as many say).

You're individuals. Each and everyone different. As white people are.

I like your song. soulful and intelligent.
5695, can we get an encore?
Posted by Rome_Dome, Wed Dec-17-03 02:03 PM
Thanks for the link. Loved the track. Great lyrics. Great flow.
5696, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Wordman, Wed Dec-17-03 02:38 PM
I'm feeling that! You keep blessing us Skillz, keep up the good work. I'm gonna be copping the album from hiphopsite.com soon as some cash come in. Keep working.
ONE
"If I don't go to jail, words gonna flock."
5697, im likin the trumpet effects
Posted by prophet j, Wed Dec-17-03 03:01 PM
- - - - -

www.wingnutjazz.com <--- !!!!!!
peace & love
5698, Good stuff
Posted by _JP, Wed Dec-17-03 06:04 PM
That is a hot song. "Trifling niggas change clothes, won’t even wash their ass" That shit had me dying.
5699, yo skillz, since when you a mod?
Posted by dgonsh, Wed Dec-17-03 06:05 PM

peace, dgonsh
i'm gay
yaaaaaaaaaay!
i'm gay
yaaaaaaaaaay!---qoolquest

AUGUST 12/2003---THE DAY THE JU JU JU JU GENERAL DISCUSSION BOARD WENT BLANK.

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

5700, ugh!
Posted by R A i n, Wed Dec-17-03 06:21 PM
i listened 2 the instrumental track longer than that other one...couldn't take in the word(s)...sorry...not offended but not 4 me...

------------------------------------------------------------

oh yeah...dah next don diva magazine(issue 16)...i wrote a lil' somethin' somethin'...peep please...lol
5701, Nod Factor
Posted by GB9, Wed Dec-17-03 06:23 PM
is it me or is that a loop of the nod factor beat?
either that or the same sample was used
i know im not buggin
Beatnuts did that joint

i like the song tho
5702, RE: Yep same beat
Posted by sosa, Wed Dec-17-03 09:21 PM
I was like wait a minute. Then it hit me. Nice.
5703, nod and supamanluva...
Posted by Unscene, Thu Dec-18-03 10:29 AM
shit is hot as hell!

one.

unscene

www.twoonefifth.com/blog

pickled beats
5704, TRACK is nice!!
Posted by UniversalXplorer, Thu Dec-18-03 12:36 AM

I'm feeling the lyrics!!Plus I always loved the NOD factor beat.I guess when/if the track comes out I'd love to hear it over another beat!!!!

Thanx for the exclusive!!!

1ne

'Reek come into the party with a cape and a cane' REEK GEEZ (The Pros)

'never coming twice in one form'- Reek Geez (Organix)
5705, RE: TRACK is nice!!
Posted by kosyne, Thu Dec-18-03 03:09 AM
gave it a listen...good stuff
5706, I'm sorry, you were saying something bothered you....
Posted by LiquidDope, Thu Dec-18-03 04:00 AM
About the Eminem track. About how he mentioned a certain word, what was that word again?
5707, i think....
Posted by GB9, Thu Dec-18-03 06:58 AM
Eminem was still white when he used it though
(not that i feel the same way Skillz does, just pointing out the base from where his opinion may differ from yours)
5708, There was a time that Eminem wasn't white?
Posted by LiquidDope, Fri Dec-19-03 04:09 AM
And why do the words "double-standard" come to mind?
5709, why do the words 'learn history' come to mind?
Posted by spirit, Sat Dec-20-03 11:46 AM
5710, Nice....Release this on the album....
Posted by Marques Jamaal, Thu Dec-18-03 04:53 AM
I'll buy it just for this joint.
5711, dear skills
Posted by Esco, Thu Dec-18-03 06:41 AM
check out this soundclick page http://www.soundclick.com/esco

inbox, tell me what you think...

now i'm bout to listen to yo shit

and this shit better be good

5712, 3 parts
Posted by Esco, Thu Dec-18-03 06:54 AM
1. this is hot. beat lays back too much but i guess thats cool cause we can concentrate on the words

2. lemme tell ya a story WAAAAY Back when before ANYONE knew who you were you were signin autographs before your first single even came out at this lil mom and pop jumpoff in greensboro, nc around the corner from my pops old store. me and like 2 of my boys were in there like "shit i don't know who he is but we ain't gotta pay for autographs n shit" so we all get em and on one of ours you had something on it with the word 'shit' and my pops was like what the hell kind of grown man is gonna write a kid a note with some profanity on it... and threw all 3 of em away, ain't that some bullshit... it was like years later before i saw you on tv and was like OOOOOH thats the guy from so and so but... yeah 1 of them cats is locked up now... we were in middle school n shit... damn you been around for a minute... i'm feelin old as hell but yeah, that shit just popped in my head, and its good to see you're still around (kinda)... head nodz n shit

and part 3

3... shit after typin that long ass story i forgot but um... yeah check my soundclick, these are all rough cuts... you want the cleaner final versions... buy the album
5713, superman!
Posted by onedrop, Thu Dec-18-03 07:38 AM
right on . . . nice use of johnny watson.

drop
5714, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by BarTek, Thu Dec-18-03 07:56 AM
you sound like a hova sound-a-like.

peace.
5715, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by BarTek, Thu Dec-18-03 07:58 AM
would have liked to hear some variation in the lyrics....seems kinda amateur..hmm. but i feel what you were tryinna accomplish wit this. just dones't seem creative enough to me.
5716, lol your such a loser.
Posted by Akronym, Fri Dec-19-03 12:46 PM
-----------------------------
ROTATE-TO-THE-TION
Talib Kweli - Bright As The Stars feat. Mos Def (produced Ayatollah)
Jay-Z - Lucifer (unreleased remix instrumental)
Kanye West - Family Business

5717, RE: lol your such a loser.
Posted by BarTek, Fri Dec-19-03 03:44 PM
i can't have an opinion? im sure he dind't even care. it's just an opinion man. no need for this. i didnt' tell him he sucked. he's good, but you honestly don't hear the similarities? and the potential of the song? blah. peace man.
5718, RE: lol your such a loser.
Posted by BarTek, Sat Dec-20-03 12:21 AM
but its better. peace.
5719, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Mellow My Man, Thu Dec-18-03 02:05 PM
i got this yesterday at another board, this is mad hot, and it's mad funny cause it's so true.it's been in my current playlist since i heard it.some of the $hit you were sayin made me feel like i was lookin in a mirror.good lookin.peace!
5720, Good shit
Posted by Lach, Thu Dec-18-03 06:05 PM
5721, RE: Good shit
Posted by lowend_player, Thu Dec-18-03 06:49 PM
hell yeah!!
5722, son....
Posted by Quez, Thu Dec-18-03 07:31 PM
>Enjoy, it's bound to hurt someone's feelings! But what else
>is new?
>http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=774982&q=Hi

good charisma, wit, but what happened to ya flow... sound like a 96 Jay-Z that never made it.

"i get the boosters bootin, i get the puters putin, yall get shot at, call me i do the shootin, i do the recruitin, i tutor the students, i nurture their brain, i'm movin the movement, whether buddisht or buddah, that's judist or judah, i got lugar to rugar, hit from ruddah to tuddah, check for from hula to hula, i put two in producers, i'm the real boss story, the loser of hoosiers, i rock mostly dose, i roll mostly doje, i'll leave you holy holy, you'll say holy moly" -- Kill Cam spittin that piff
5723, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Tryin kick nawledg Mc, Fri Dec-19-03 12:43 AM
Skillz did you sign to Shady?

With all that Nigga talk You'd thank so.
5724, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by huracanmh, Fri Dec-19-03 06:44 AM
Damn, I like this. I just listened like 6 times back-to-back to catch all of it. It's pretty clever social commentary if ya think about it...
5725, True words n/m
Posted by BurbKnight, Fri Dec-19-03 07:14 AM

5726, Nice...Love ya laid back approach
Posted by DVS, Fri Dec-19-03 07:28 AM
brining back the old "Head Nod" sample....good shit, big cat.
5727, Good track.....
Posted by Obsidian_Blue, Fri Dec-19-03 07:31 AM
keep doing your thing....
5728, i like this niggaz jawn
Posted by Tariq3, Fri Dec-19-03 10:37 AM
lol
5729, Curious...
Posted by BigJoSkully, Fri Dec-19-03 03:05 PM
The track is hot.

But I am curious (since it's possible to get feedback), with the whole Eminem and race thing (you posted about it), What do you think about songs (your) with that word used in it so much, I mean I'm white, the songs hot but... Would you be offended if you heard me singin along??
5730, RE: Curious...
Posted by tscar_musicdotcom, Fri Dec-19-03 06:11 PM
haha...i was listening on iTunes and it kept looping to the point i couldn't tell where it stopped/i wasn't paying attention...i'm like "man, skillz is kind of dragging on this one i'm getting bored" then i realized i'd heard the song 3 times
5731, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by LOS357, Fri Dec-19-03 08:08 PM
No, NO and NNNNOOO again! That joint is far from sounding like Jay Turtle... far.

I was waiting on someone to speak on The Last Poets similarities, but no one did. Hell, I would even have taken a some talk about how the loop is played out... but the Hova references... come on people.

You put some (Black)thought into this one SKILLZ. That wanna-bee Wu-Strumental... shelf it.
5732, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by sir cosmic, Fri Dec-19-03 10:11 PM
always well thought out
dope
thanks skillz : )

5733, i got no clue whatsoever who u are
Posted by araQual, Sat Dec-20-03 06:16 AM
never heard of u before, only after u hit OKP. this is the first song of urs i've heard and im really feelin it. lyrics, beat, everything.

that "trackula" beat ain't too bad either.

i'll just add u to my list of artists i've slept on and need to catch up on. peace.

V.
5734, it's so easy to be negative
Posted by spirit, Sat Dec-20-03 11:54 AM
sorry, i can't co-sign on this song, yet another "look at everything that's wrong with black people" moment. i could hear that on the street corner for free, homeboy. no particularly insightful lines and borderline self-hatred. reminds me of how i cringed reading speech from arrested development in an interview trying to explain the difference b/t black people and n-----s (a difference that chris rock brought up years later in an admittedly funny but IMO equally destructive way).

the main problem i have with the song is there are lots of people who aren't black that have these same inadequacies. hearing black people dis other black people for (insert inadequacy) is boring to me at this point. but then, i've read/heard so many writings/speeches from black nationalists covering this same ground that it seems old to me. you gotta bring a fresh angle if you're going to touch on this. or just bag on fucked up people generally.
5735, Dang...
Posted by deacon, Sat Dec-20-03 12:12 PM
You don't like the updates, you don't like Skillz...are you in a bad mood or are you just fulfilling your hateration quota for the New Year? You hate, yet you keep coming back? Explain.
5736, it's get-along-go-along up in here
Posted by spirit, Sat Dec-20-03 03:40 PM
a contrary opinion is not hating. stop the madness.

edit: and i don't hate skillz. you're bugging. i met him once when he rocked a show with lonnie and danja in dc. i semi-know danja (moreso in a net way than a physical world way). i big up supa on the regular. and b/c i criticize one song i hate skillz? you're out of your damn mind.
5737, how is he hating?
Posted by Science_Fiction, Sun Dec-21-03 04:47 PM
i thought it was an insightful response.
5738, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Bless, Sat Dec-20-03 01:05 PM
That joint is funny as hell. Its hot though. Good Stuff.
5739, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Tryin kick nawledg Mc, Sat Dec-20-03 04:39 PM
like I said anybody can rap Nigga shit over and over again. It sounds like a KluKlux Klan anthem if you ask me. And skillz is the 1st to start commentin on Eminem. He said it fells just as bad for a European to call another person a cracka as it is for a Brotha to call someone a N.

Then he makes a clown ass N song.

No wonder you ain't gettin the blessins to release a album.

5740, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Skillz, Sun Dec-21-03 08:58 AM
Like I said it was bound to piss someone off, I figured that much. Yeah I had something to say about Em using the N word, cuz I had a problem with it & I voiced my opinion about it. That's my right..the same as it's yours to voice your opinion about this song. I expected it, I've seen people on this board make a post with hundreds of replies because they were upset they went to a Roots show and didnt hear the 3rd track on Organix! I respect all your opinions, it is what it is!
5741, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by Optimas_intelligentrhymes, Sun Dec-21-03 03:24 PM
I liked it the beat was nice. I was really feeling it. I saw you in El Paso, Texas last time with the roots and it was great you need to come around here more for concerts. Anyways it was nice.

5742, RE: NEW AUDIO(link inside)
Posted by temps2020, Fri Dec-26-03 10:59 AM
It was aight. Not feeling it too much. But I usually enjoy all your joints.

"Relaxed like Dru Down's hair" --Common
5743, uppin n/m
Posted by DVS, Fri Dec-26-03 08:05 AM
5744, RE: beat sounds....
Posted by mahlich, Fri Dec-26-03 02:08 PM
similar to the Nod Factor.