Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectOkayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=5627
5627, Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by okayplayer, Tue Dec-23-03 04:22 PM

BKyle: Okay, what’s up Kanye. We’re gonna start off with a real standard type question and that is … What old school artists inspire you the most and if you haven’t already, any plans of working with any of them in the future?

KW: EPMD, MC Hammer, Kid n play, Salt n Pepper, A Tribe Called Quest, Eazy E, LL Cool J. I’m already working with Consequence from Tribe, so be on the look out for that. One of the things I try and do with my beats is to try and bring that Tribe Called Quest style of production back to Hip Hop. I’m very inspired by them.

BKyle: There were a lot of questions about your production, so let’s get to some of them. What is your approach toward working with different artists? When you are listening to a beat you are developing, do you say to yourself “so-and-so will sound good rhyming over this” or do you just have a library of beats that you have finished that you kind of just tailor to whichever artist you are working with at the time?

KW: For the most part, if you take the best of the best of one of my beats, any artist or any rapper could sing or rap on it. So I just try and make the best beats I can. Any rapper could’ve got on “Lucifer” and could have made a half way good song. I’m not saying it would have been as good as a Jay-Z song, but any rapper woulda loved to have that beat. Any rapper, singer woulda loved to have “Guess Who’s Back.” Any rapper, singer woulda loved to have “H to the Izzo.” Any rapper, singer woulda loved to have “Get By” … or the Alicia Keys beat for that matter. I don’t wanna just be bringing beats that are just for one person specific. That’s the reason why I think my beats are so universal, ‘cus I make beats that one person may get on but it still relates to so many people. The thugs, the hip hoppers, the girls, the critics, ya know?

BKyle: Do you have any plans for releasing an instrumental album? Not just the instrumentals from all your hits compiled but more of an in-depth instrumental masterpiece?

KW: Yeah. Mos Def’s been trying to talk me into doing that. I might go and do that because I have a couple beats that I think are phenomenal that people say are hard to rap to. Some of my beats I might go in and add like 100 tracks worth of instruments. I have to sometimes make sure I leave spaces for rappers, I’ve been learning to do that. But like, I could put it together where you’d be listening to a series of my joints all the way through but its hard for me cuz I get like 90,000 dollars a beat. It’s hard for me to just go and do an instrumental album and give up 10 of my beats. That’s like giving up 900,000 dollars (laughter) and then nobody wants to pay 90,000 dollars for a beat that was already on an instrumental album.

BKyle: Right, for sure. People want to know what it is you’re listening to. If we were to hit play in Kanye Wests’ CD player right now, what would we be hearing?

KW: You would hear “By The Way”, by Red Hot Chili Peppers

BKyle: What is it about “By The Way” that has you listening?

KW: The lyrics, the music, the arrangement, the production, the mixes. Everything, it’s very inspirational. The lyrics to “Can't Stop”… (sings it) “can’t stop the spirits when they need you”. If you think about it, my lyrics are very Red Hot Chill Pepper esque. I might be giving away some of my secrets by saying that. You know, it’s like when Jay said “people gonna try and make The Blueprint II before me” …I know there’s gonna be rappers and producers out there trying to make “The Late Registration” before me. So I don’t want to give away too many of my tricks of the trade as far as my whole thought process. The second somebody gets your thought process, it’s like knowing the code or knowing the blue print.

BKyle: You know there are a lot of Common fans on our site. People are wondering if you could give some insight as for as how it’s been working together. One fan asks: "I read an interview where Kanye said that Com's new album was the most important album he was working on.” What did you mean by that?

KW: I meant exactly that.

BKyle: How has that experience been so far?

KW: Man, it’s one of the greatest experiences of my life. Nobody, there’s nobody … and I’ll bet … all the money in the world … there’s nobody out there who can rap better than Common.

BKyle: What is it that you feel Common can bring that other artists can’t?

KW: Man. You can’t even put a finger on it. Some people are just blessed. Rhythm wise, insight wise, knowledge, voice, charisma, history … you know what I’m sayin’, the fundamentals.

BKyle: So not including Common, who should we be keeping an eye out for in 2004?

KW: Of course you have to keep your eye out for me ‘cuz I’m gonna be number one. …And that’s my quote. And my team, GLC, Consequence, and John Legend. But also in 2004, mannn, I heard Kweli spitting some crazy shit on his new album with ill ass patterns. Um, who else gots some crazy shit. … Young Chris. You know Young Chris is sick. I ain’t even heard any of Young Buck’s shit, but that’s my new favorite rapper, Young Buck.

BKyle: Where’s he out of again?

KW: Isn’t it New Orleans? It’s Young Buck from G-Unit.

BKyle: Yeah, that’s right. Cash Money from back in the days. What’s some advice you may give to up and coming producers as far as trying to get put on and be heard.

KW: Man, if you want to get a CD into an artist’s hands … just put it in a pretty young ladies hands and let her approach him.

BKyle: It’s all about the tactics … the packaging. Presentation is everything.

KW: Wait ‘till you see my album packaging.

BKyle: Are we ready for this?

KW: I’ll just let you know .. that I’m not on it.

(laughter)

BKyle: Well we’re looking forward to it.

KW: You know people, of course, they got they version of the demo that I did at my crib. … of the demo that I got signed with. But we out in LA right now workin’. Me and Common going into the studio tonight. We’re not finished with this College Dropout yet.

BKyle: Tell us which are some of your favorite tracks you’ve worked on.

KW: My favorite Jay-Z song I ever did of all time is “Take Over”. My favorite Kweli song is “Get By”, which is one my favorites period. Um, my favorite my song is … hmm, either “Never Let Me Down” or “Jesus Walks.”

BKyle: What is it about those tracks that make them stand out as your favorites?

KW: What is about that them that stands out? Have you heard ‘em?!

(laughter)

BKyle: Yeah, but people don’t wanna hear what I’m talking ‘bout. I can talk on Okayplayer all day about what I like and love but this is the Kanye West hour.

KW: Yeah, and that’s the Kanye West answer.

(laughter)

BKyle: There was a question about ghost production. Can you share with us which beats you may have ghost produced, or maybe you can give us some hints?

KW: All right, but this is your last producer question … ‘cuz I’m rappin’ now. Anybody who ain’t respecting me as an artist right now, mine as well just bash their heads into the wall just for being stupid. I say, just kill yourself ‘cuz if not, it’s gonna kill you for how much you about to hear me.

BKyle: They ain’t ready.

KW: I don’t know if they’re ready or not but like Mase said … like the greatest rapper of all time Mase said a long time ago, “If you ain't ready seen Mase in the gold 8 I really think it's time that you relocate.” And that’s what I’m saying in regards to me.

BKyle: Would you be able to share which tracks you have ghost produced?

KW: I did “Ghetto”, on Mad Rappers album. I did “My Life” for Foxy Brown. I did “Poppa was a Playa” for Nas. I did “Heart Breaker” for ‘Lil Kim. …… I did six tracks on the Mad Rappers album.

KW: Y'all don't wanna ask me any questions about the Bleek thing?

BKyle: Naw, well we didn't want to bring up any stories about beef especially when we don't know how much validity there is to what we see people saying on the internet. But folks were definitely asking about that so if you want to say something, feel free to speak out.

KW: I came into the Roc-A-Fella family making beats. I was just a broke brotha on the train and that's how people were first seeing me. I guess it's hard for people to see you in another light from how they first saw you. For me man, now I am just trying to work hard and make the ROC proud.

BKyle: Questlove wants to know, how do you feel about being the pioneer of 'Chipmunk Soul'?

(laughter)

KW: But the thing is I’m not at all. What about … So RZA never sped his shit up? It’s like me and RZA use the same sound except for my shit is just more sped up and my drums are a little bit more clubby. Now that I think about it, he and Pete Rock used to do shit like auto tune they shit to make it go down and make it sound somewhat realistic. One of the dopest samples of all time is that (sings) “I gotta love, I’m like telling you straight on up”. Now that I really think about it, Pete Rock and RZA had the soul but my shit is just really really sped up. This is my realization that it is actually a different sound than RZA's cuz I always give credit to RZA. Ey shit. It feels pretty good. God works in wonderful ways. I now have opportunities to go out and do other shit that I wanna do. Like I wanna design album packaging, co-direct videos, rap, start a label, put a lot of Chicago ni@@as on. God has allowed me. He didn’t just have me walk out that accident* for a reason, you know what im sayin’. Im helping’ Twista out, I’m helpin’ Common out, I’m even helpin' Jay out with what it is that I bring to the table.

BKyle: What do you love and what do you hate about Hip Hop right now?

KW: Man, I love everything about it. Do you know I am the happiest person, the happiest artist? Do you know that I am the most anticipated rapper and do you know everything I’ve went through to get to this point? … To get to the point where I am the number one priority. I love everybody right now. Right now I’m just so happy, you know? God is working in my life in wonderful ways and anybody around me is definitely gonna feel this love and we gonna try and make things happen for everybody. A lot of times I say “make money for the black man” but everybody, every race, every culture, this is the beginning of a new generation of hip hop, of music, of soul, of the fans, of the artist, of the industry just turning around. Of them playing a video that cost $35,000 and getting it added to MTV. This is the beginning.

© Okayplayer.com 2003
5628, * foot note, in case you don't know about the accident
Posted by okayplayer, Tue Dec-23-03 04:23 PM
Kanye West understands the preciousness of life. It was in October of 2002 that his was nearly abruptly taken from him. Driving back to his hotel late one night after a Los Angeles recording session, the acclaimed producer/burgeoning rapper was involved in a devastating, near fatal car accident in which he sustained injuries that left his jaw fractured in three places.
5629, great interview
Posted by shwin, Tue Dec-23-03 04:30 PM
wow

buying college dropout for sure

real approcable guy, saw him in an antique store, still talked to me for like 10 minutes
5630, yeah, the interview was very conversational
Posted by aoxomoxoa, Tue Dec-23-03 04:31 PM
he was real passionate with his answers, and very easy to talk to.
5631, any chance of making him an okayplayer?
Posted by shwin, Wed Dec-24-03 02:19 AM
?
5632, one of my favorite quotes from the interview..
Posted by Unconscious, Tue Dec-23-03 05:08 PM
KW: Man, if you want to get a CD into an artist’s hands … just put it in a pretty young ladies hands and let her approach him.

and another question: when kanye said this..

"You know people, of course, they got they version of the demo that I did at my crib. … of the demo that I got signed with. But we out in LA right now workin’. Me and Common going into the studio tonight. We’re not finished with this College Dropout yet."

he's talkin about the advance copy of the college dropout right?

damn if so, this album is goin to be pretty serious
5633, Good look
Posted by dayzblack, Tue Dec-23-03 05:20 PM
I'm telling niggas Young Buck is hot.

I fear the album is getting too much hype, the shit is dope, but too much hype breeds too much hate, and Kayne is in no way humble, so I think niggas may starting hating on him just to hate him.

I want to see the album art.
5634, and Young Buck is from NASHVILLE
Posted by delthaladymusiklover, Tue Dec-23-03 11:23 PM
NOT New Orleans, he was not with Cash Money he was featured on some songs back in the day.
5635, RE: Sorry hun.....
Posted by CocoaCure, Wed Dec-24-03 07:46 AM
He is indeed from the ville, but he was also signed to Juve's UPT records,prior to going the G-Unit way, so that's where the N.O. ref comes from. When you think of Juve, most people think of Cash Money, not his independent label UPT.

"Not one to wait, cuz I'm no waiter...so when I grow up, don't try to kick it to me later."
5636, thank you for this.
Posted by tonywashington, Tue Dec-23-03 05:36 PM
you can tell through his words that the accident really has changed his life in a very positive way.

Thanks Bkyle & Dan.
5637, Chipmonk Soul??
Posted by Prodiqal_Son, Tue Dec-23-03 05:52 PM
LOL...that was hilarious!!! Good convo/ interview coupled with a nice write up piece in todays USA Today music section.

Also, I never heard a person quote Rev. Mason "Mase" Betha...and label him a G.O.A.T. But, BKyle good job!!
5638, RE: Chipmonk Soul??
Posted by KAP2, Tue Dec-23-03 05:55 PM
well done
5639, Oh my goodness
Posted by journey88, Wed Dec-24-03 07:53 AM
I'm still laughing about ?'s comment. He's crazy
~This is my journey
~"Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare."-Common
5640, My Thoughts:
Posted by tappenzee, Tue Dec-23-03 06:32 PM
-MC Hammer, huh? Well I hope he's not a financial inspiration for you. Spend that $90,000 a beat (!) wisely.

-I'm loving the fact that the copy of College Dropout floating around right now is only a demo. And Common's gonna be on it too, huh?

-Funny that Young Buck is his new favorite rapper out there right now, and he never heard any of his shit.

-Pointing out those Ghost Productions like that was Gangsta!

-Oh yeah, and I like how Kanye was the one to bring up the Memph Bleek situation.

Good Job on the interview, fellas
5641, RE: My Thoughts:
Posted by High Society, Tue Dec-23-03 08:04 PM
hmmmmm.

He seems a lil cocky to me. jay-z is cocky, but its very humble. but when rhyming... its a different story. Kanye on the other hand, in interviews and shit comes off cocky almost arrogant. but when rhyming... well put it this way, its a different story from Jay-Z, shit its a different story from Freeway.

but yeah on the other hand, Common on college dropout? sick.

cant wait for the album.

best news from this interview was what Kanye said about Common, all the love he showed. he aint gonna give Common junk.

5642, Cocky?
Posted by _JP, Tue Dec-23-03 10:39 PM
I feel you on the cocky thing, but having a certain amount of bravado is a prerequisite to be an emcee. There wasn't anything that stood out to me as conceit or anything like that.
5643, he got a right to be cocky...
Posted by IronFist, Wed Dec-24-03 06:25 AM
Have you heard his beats? That nigga is pretty nice and he knows it!

"Lazy Summer Days...
Like Some Decrepid Land Shark, Dumb Luck Squad, Dog Luck Seeker Diluted/
Last Sturdy Domino Leaves Secluded-
Don't Let Stupid Delusions Lessen Super Duty Labor Student, Dragnet Lifer Solutions/
Daddy Loves Sloppy Dimensions Like Son-Daughter Links/
Such Determinated Leopards, Sucessfully Discheveled/
Little Soldiers Developed Like Serpents Despite Life Sentence, Ducking Lemmings/
Some Don't Like Society's Dirty Lenses/
Some Do- Don't Let Sleeping Dogs Lie Still, Don't Look So Damn Lackluster/
Suck Defeat - Lump Sum Damage? Load Sample Delete/
Late Show, Shitty Diner, Dave Letterman, Lip Slide Dutch/
Low Self-Discipline Liter, Seek Dead Lung Self Destruct/
LIFE SUCKS DICKHEAD!
Lost Summers Displayed Laminate Showcasing Divinity Live, System Definitive/
Lynergy Soaked, Depict Lonely, Spectacular, Delight/
Why? What kind of LSD do you like?" - ONLY Aesop Rock
5644, RE: he got a right to be cocky...
Posted by High Society, Wed Dec-24-03 07:11 AM
homey i've heard his beats. im not talking about his beats, they are amazing. i was talking about his rhymes, i didnt mention shit about his beats not being ill. yeah, have some swag when you rhyme but in interviews? hope you jordan, and the Yeezy aint.

but he is quite nice.

peace, peace.

and ps i cant wait for his album.
5645, one person says "cocky", another "smart marketing"
Posted by aoxomoxoa, Wed Dec-24-03 06:34 AM
I just see it as confidence and also, that notion of word sound power. Ya know, if you think it, speak it, believe it ... then it is. This industry is cut throat and frankly, Kanye is a bit of an underdog. Nothing wrong with that, he's doing things big time and he came up from being nobody. He's got a dope story to tell and he should be confident and a little cocky. The thing you notice is that while he boasts about himself, he also props up other people like Common and his peers at the ROC.
5646, RE: Cocky, don't call it that...
Posted by BIG-B, Wed Dec-24-03 08:57 AM
...As an MC or Producer he has to have that vibe.
How do you control that Mic if your not sure you can?
You won't, Hip-Hop is all about confidence
5647, RE: Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by Kev, Tue Dec-23-03 06:47 PM
Man, Kanye got me fiending for a lot of material. But damn, 90,000 a beat.I better get cool with Kanye cause I'll never be able to afford his beats at that price.It hurts just thinking about it.

Non-Believers get my dick and genitals backwards-Redman

One1
5648, marketing 101
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Tue Dec-23-03 07:14 PM
thanks to BKyle, Kayne, and Dan (among others i'm sure) for this.

that he speaks apparently casually and frequently with Mos made me smile, as well as the following-

>KW: Man, it’s one of the greatest experiences of my life.
>Nobody, there’s nobody … and I’ll bet … all the money in the
>world … there’s nobody out there who can rap better than
>Common.

Kweli with that new cadence?

>I heard Kweli spitting some crazy shit on his new album with
>ill ass patterns.

Common gonna be on College Dropout?

>Me and Common
>going into the studio tonight. We’re not finished with this
>College Dropout yet.

over-exposure much? i hope not

>KW: All right, but this is your last producer question …
>‘cuz I’m rappin’ now. Anybody who ain’t respecting me as an
>artist right now, mine as well just bash their heads into
>the wall just for being stupid. I say, just kill yourself
>‘cuz if not, it’s gonna kill you for how much you about to
>hear me.
>
>BKyle: They ain’t ready.

"the Bleek thing" lol

>KW: Y'all don't wanna ask me any questions about the Bleek
>thing?"

this truly won me over:

>BKyle: What do you love and what do you hate about Hip Hop
>right now?
>
>KW: Man, I love everything about it.

thank you

>© Okayplayer.com 2003

5649, preach it Kanye!!
Posted by radin, Tue Dec-23-03 07:21 PM
BKyle: You know there are a lot of Common fans on our site. People are wondering if you could give some insight as for as how it’s been working together. One fan asks: "I read an interview where Kanye said that Com's new album was the most important album he was working on.” What did you mean by that?

KW: I meant exactly that.

BKyle: How has that experience been so far?

KW: Man, it’s one of the greatest experiences of my life. Nobody, there’s nobody … and I’ll bet … all the money in the world … there’s nobody out there who can rap better than Common.

BKyle: What is it that you feel Common can bring that other artists can’t?

KW: Man. You can’t even put a finger on it. Some people are just blessed. Rhythm wise, insight wise, knowledge, voice, charisma, history … you know what I’m sayin’, the fundamentals.

5650, RE: preach it Kanye!!
Posted by barnyard pimpin, Tue Dec-23-03 08:01 PM
kanye has to be one of the smartest cats to every hit the industry. He got this self marketing shit on lock. Way to go Bkyle
5651, Good stuff
Posted by _JP, Tue Dec-23-03 10:36 PM
Great interview. He seems like he might live up to the hype; I don't just mean this album, but in general. I liked a lot of the answers he gave.

I'm still curious about the artists freedom thing. Some of his answers could imply that he has a lot of creative freedom, but I would like to see what his answer would be when asked this question directly.

He seems to be a very honest, straight-forward guy.
5652, RE: Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by allison, Tue Dec-23-03 10:45 PM

thanks to everyone who made this possible

intresting interview
5653, this was my question!
Posted by buildingblock, Tue Dec-23-03 11:27 PM
BKyle: There was a question about ghost production. Can you share with us which beats you may have ghost produced, or maybe you can give us some hints?

good looks
5654, RE: Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by BarTek, Tue Dec-23-03 11:39 PM
common/kanye instant classic. that is a cd i am going to buy. support the real shit. peace.
5655, Of them playing a video that cost $35,000 and getting i
Posted by moveNshake, Wed Dec-24-03 12:04 AM
i've been waiting for someone to bring some old school type videos back.
5656, B got my main question in there
Posted by johnbook, Wed Dec-24-03 12:35 AM
Not sure if Kanye will ever be able to do one considering what his schedule is like, but I'll look forward to it if and when it happens.

p.e.a.c.e.
-

5657, dope..
Posted by Akronym, Wed Dec-24-03 01:49 AM
-----------------------------
ROTATE-TO-THE-TION
Talib Kweli - Bright As The Stars feat. Mos Def (produced Ayatollah)
Jay-Z - Lucifer (unreleased remix instrumental)
Kanye West - Family Business

5658, well
Posted by Delete me, Wed Dec-24-03 02:05 AM
i used to like chris.... if kanye likes him, i have to hate on him .. just to be different

> Um, who else gots some crazy shit. …
>Young Chris. You know Young Chris is sick.

5659, Good interview
Posted by Sonlight, Wed Dec-24-03 05:43 AM
and Bleek can suck a dick...
5660, beef with bleek?
Posted by dAb1, Wed Dec-31-03 12:47 PM
what is the deal with bleek?
5661, "the greatest rapper of all time Mase"
Posted by phillyfro, Wed Dec-24-03 05:44 AM
what the hell was he smoking during the interview????

////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
"I’m the BK loud mouth, I’m the one who make all the noise, all the energy, a lyricist, and I deliver the laugh that go with the grit. I’ll think of the most craziest punchline you could think of that will be funny, but at the end of the day, when you think about it, it don’t be funny at all"

-Devious from Pitch Black
5662, dope
Posted by nocturnal, Wed Dec-24-03 05:57 AM
"this is the beginning of a new generation of hip hop, of music, of soul, of the fans, of the artist, of the industry just turning around. Of them playing a video that cost $35,000 and getting it added to MTV. This is the beginning."

very much looking forward to the common/kayne project....
5663, Good looking B
Posted by Seven, Wed Dec-24-03 05:59 AM
Great interview......

5664, hell yeah!!!
Posted by SherronShabazz, Wed Dec-24-03 06:36 AM
and young buck is from nashville.
5665, i'm dissapointed in the choice of questions
Posted by MikeLove, Wed Dec-24-03 06:49 AM
all those reasonably good questions okp's asked and you ask about chipmunk soul and what do you hate about rap now?

what do you hate about rap now?

what kinda angry-assed internet backpack rapper question is that? why would a nigga that's getting PAID with rap hate anything about rap music? i thought the only question that gave some insight into dude was 'what's in your deck right now' and he talked about the rhcp.

what rappers did u listen to back in the day? come on, homie.

then,he had to ask YOU about the bleek shit (cuz he reads okp) and you're like, nah, that may be an internet rumor. COME ON MAN, i read on the internet that lil john likes to start fights in the clubs, so i asked him about it. i heard beyonce was releasing another cd b4 the detiny's child joint on the internet, so i asked her about it.

step your interview game up.

5666, u are angry mike...
Posted by SherronShabazz, Wed Dec-24-03 06:55 AM
but i agree with u 100%

i dont care though... as long as the man gets some shine....
5667, i aint mad
Posted by MikeLove, Wed Dec-24-03 08:30 AM
i use okp for interview question all the time cuz cats REALLY ask some good questions that i would never think of. i understand my man doesnt do interviews for a living, hell even I aint exactly the larry king of this shit but i expect better from cats.

*edit* i just reread my first post and i did seem kinda mad. my bad, i'm just not a big fan of that style of interview.

chipmunk soul, indeed.
5668, RE: u are angry mike...
Posted by Trumee, Thu Jan-01-04 03:03 PM
I understand mike... I felt a little let down too. Can't wait till Feb 2004
5669, i agree
Posted by Mica, Wed Dec-24-03 07:55 AM
not to go against the okayplayer establishment, but i agree..

it was said that not everything was transcribed from the tape so many there are more interesting questions on there (not to hate on those that got their questions answered) i read alot of great questions on the "ask" post, and was looking forward to hearing his answers...

but i do like the fact that it seemed, as someone said, very converstational
5670, RE: i agree
Posted by MikeLove, Wed Dec-24-03 08:34 AM

>it was said that not everything was transcribed from the
>tape so many there are more interesting questions on there
>(not to hate on those that got their questions answered) i
>read alot of great questions on the "ask" post, and was
>looking forward to hearing his answers...

my thing is i completely understand how long something like that could take, so take your time and transcribe a good part of it. if it takes till next week, do it.
5671, RE: Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by spidey, Wed Dec-24-03 08:18 AM
Good interview, but I wanted more, like:

-opinions on Def Jux Crew, ex.what he thinks of RJD2....
-underground vs. commercial
-how he justifies working with artists that pollute the game, but at the same time really being a throwback, in the sense that he appreciates Tribe Called Quest, Common and such artists...
-simply more challenging questions....

5672, RE: Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by CLEEZY, Wed Dec-24-03 12:51 PM
>BKyle: Do you have any plans for releasing an instrumental
>album? Not just the instrumentals from all your hits
>compiled but more of an in-depth instrumental masterpiece?
>
>KW: Yeah. Mos Def’s been trying to talk me into doing that.
> I might go and do that because I have a couple beats that I
>think are phenomenal that people say are hard to rap to.
>Some of my beats I might go in and add like 100 tracks worth
>of instruments. I have to sometimes make sure I leave
>spaces for rappers, I’ve been learning to do that. But
>like, I could put it together where you’d be listening to a
>series of my joints all the way through but its hard for me
>cuz I get like 90,000 dollars a beat. It’s hard for me to
>just go and do an instrumental album and give up 10 of my
>beats. That’s like giving up 900,000 dollars (laughter) and
>then nobody wants to pay 90,000 dollars for a beat that was
>already on an instrumental album.

90,000 dollars a beat!! Damn I need to invest in some equipment...That's good money right there...

Dope interview...Kanye Do the Damn Thang!!

5673, The Mase references
Posted by clever79, Wed Dec-24-03 02:40 PM
I see it in this interview, and they are all over the mixtapes I'm Good & Get Well soon. This was a great interview, but the question,"whats up with the Mase references" should've been asked.

My fave mase reference:
"They used to tell me toughen up put some bass in your voice/
They used to tell me lighten up put some Mase in your voice."
5674, PS
Posted by clever79, Wed Dec-24-03 03:40 PM
this interview being in the Okay artist board may be a pre cursor to Kanye becoming either a featured artist, or better yet an Okayartist. Can't lose either way, I prefer Okayartist though.

I don't know what hip hop would be like had kanye been taken from us by that accident. But I'm glad he made it. When I heard the news about the accident, just based on the few joints of his that I heard and the potential he showed, I thought to myself, "Not again." Biggie, Pac, Big L, Big Pun. Even recently with untimely deaths Jam MAster Jay, Left Eye, and AAlyiah one can only wonder what might have been. At least this time, we don't have to...
5675, Finally!!! Props for givin RZA his due
Posted by billyshakespeare, Wed Dec-24-03 03:37 PM
Cuz that nigga is the king of the sped up sample. This is but one of the millions of hiphop trends stolen from the wu. With them seein zero credit. Finally somebody gave them props for creatin some dope shit

But fuk that giving credit to the nigga, give him part of that 90 thou a beat

5676, RE: Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by Bless, Wed Dec-24-03 05:19 PM
This was a great ass interview. I was getting a lil anxious yesterday, cause I had checked back and didn't see interview posted. But I think this was very good. Its important to know what artists are thinking or doing or how they're doing it and what they are listening to. It gives you a better idea of what that person is like.

I didn't know how much of a fan Kanye is of Common. Because of this interview, I can't wait til this new Common album drop. I'm anxious as hell. As I am of his own album, cause I heard a few tracks the other day, matter of fact, they are the two that he mentioned was his favorite. Also because of this interview I believe that '04 will be a great year for hip-hop, just like '94 was, and I am a strong believer that Kanye will stop at nothing to make hip-hop better, especially for this generation, so more power and respect to him. And I hope he sticks to what he says about Chicago about putting more artists out there. Cause Chicago has talent, well I'll say selected few, and I think its time we start to get up there, so we can represent the Go like BK, Queens, or Staten Island.

Anyway can't wait, hope that '04 will be a great year as predicted.

P.S. > And big up to clever79 for quoting my favorite Kanye West line. And making a good point.
5677, good stuff
Posted by ohioplayer, Wed Dec-24-03 06:42 PM
I'm just waitin' till February...Amel's coming out in January and Tip's new album is in March...what a way to start the year...
5678, RE: Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by nubian queen5, Wed Dec-24-03 06:54 PM
I liked the interview. Can't wait for the cd to drop. I hope it's a tight cd.
PEACE
5679, RE: Jeflee must be proud
Posted by sosa, Wed Dec-24-03 07:19 PM
He mentioned the "Chipmonk Soul". LOL. $90, 000 a beat?! Not too shabby, to say the least.
5680, J. Mickens on K. West interview
Posted by Nicnack, Fri Dec-26-03 07:08 AM

Quality: Good Ish

Questions Answered Directly or Indirectly: All

Best Part:

KW: All right, but this is your last producer question … ‘cuz I’m rappin’ now. Anybody who ain’t respecting me as an artist right now, mine as well just bash their heads into the wall just for being stupid. I say, just kill yourself ‘cuz if not, it’s gonna kill you for how much you about to hear me.

BKyle: They ain’t ready.

.....Classic

J. Mickens
5681, interesting
Posted by allison, Fri Dec-26-03 08:09 AM
I did “Heart Breaker” for ‘Lil Kim

one of the few i liked on Notorious K.I.M.

the song is called Don't Mess With Me
5682, RE: Okayplayer interviews Kanye West...
Posted by temps2020, Fri Dec-26-03 11:32 AM
I alwas enjoy reading interviews from Kanye. He is definitely one of my favorite artists right now. Producer and MC. Doesn't hurt that he is from the Chi. I can't wait for college dropout. Kanye is just real insightful and sincere and it is evident how genuine he is about the art. i enjoyed this interview a lot. from what he said about common, i have good feeling about com's new album. Talib's as well. I can't stop listening to "Throught the wire" Video is hot too.

Much success Kanye!

"Relaxed like Dru Down's hair" --Common
5683, good interview
Posted by yosh, Thu Jan-01-04 03:45 PM
kanye comes off pretty cocky, but having 2 of youre videos in current rotation on mtv probably would do that to anyone. nice to hear a hot producer telling you what one of his beats will cost you too(90K).

remember on liquid swords when rza was chargin 20g's a SESSION?? things done changed if youre makin hits!!

"Drink Listerine, brush my teeth with amphetamine
So I can sound fresh, and say dope things in between."-Ras Kass
5684, RE: good interview
Posted by Teej, Fri Jan-02-04 11:11 PM
Yes yall....Kanye yet is the truth! Yes indeed the brother may come off a bit cocky...but thats cuz he knows what he's about to give the world. Trust you would be too.

Remember..."Go Getters rhyme like/ should be signed twice!"