Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectjust to get a rep
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=5469&mesg_id=5494
5494, just to get a rep
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Tue Dec-23-03 07:55 AM
>I would have to agree with damn near everything that you
>spit

uh oh, i didn't know i had a reputation to uphold.

>but as an okayplayer fan you must admit that
>phernology was not a let down and if you have listened to
>electric circus more than 3 times you will realize that the
>album is pure emotion with hard beats.

Phrenology-IMO (only what it is) was a let down. it was Roots for dummies. it was as if they tried to do a million things without delving in too deep on each venture. the sequencing was a let down and the number of tracks on this album that i skip is more than any other Roots album. that being said, lyricism is largely on point and there are a couple moments of greatness (however surrounded by mediocrity.)

Electric Circus-IMO (only what it is) was a weird experience. i revisited for the first time in a couple of months last nite. maybe 6.5 for lyrics was a little harsh (7.5 more like it) but i was very disappointed from what i thought was missing in that department compared to previous albums by Common. the beats are hit and miss. there is some stuff that is simply incredible, and other stuff that while it may not be bad may not be for me (New Wave / The Hustle / Come Close / I Got a Right Ta.) when it's good it's great, but when it settles back down it sinks and shows some holes.

>Would you rather
>listen to music that falls in line with the mass produced
>"bubble-gum" or something that takes a different approach.
>Now i admit that it is not quite the same common, but as a
>revolutionary rapper he is just extending his love of music
>and showing the versatility he has. What's wrong with that?

nothing, but quality is still quality, whether you're effing with some simple boom-bap or a song with Stereolab on the hook.

i'm not trying to suggest i like Electric Circus less than a Cash Money record (or something in that same vein.) plus, i was judging dude in comparison to what i had come to know, LWFC for example.