Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectinteresting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=5469&mesg_id=5489
5489, interesting
Posted by ralph_s invisible man, Tue Dec-23-03 05:48 AM
i think he definitely has much in his favor for this new release. I feel that of the OKP 'trinity,' his is the album that is the least discussed, as compared to com and the roots, but this leaves him at a vantage point. i still believe that phrenology was better than quality in terms of production, b/c despite the 'over-produced' sound of the songs, they were still coherent and flowed together, while quality suffered from a disfigured set of beats, albeit good. Lyrically, kweli was flawless, perhaps half a pt over black thought. But kweli does sound better to me with Mos, kinda of like watching NY Undercover without Malik Yoba's Partner, y' know?

I think of the three, though, kweli still has perhaps the most fire in his heart, and has the greates potential for the future. His lyrics are great, perhaps his cadence should be developed more, like com, i dunno. BUT, in terms of musical selection, this is what gets me excited. We kinda know where the roots are going, we kinda know where com is going, but KWELI IS THE WILD CARD. Cause he keeps to himself it seems, you dont see him in a lot of mags and such, or photo shoots. He keeps us in the dark, and I like that ("they always said he was the quiet type, who'da known that he was frontin?"). I still have a fantasy album of a collabo with him and Earth, Wind, And Fire, dude, that would be so fucking ill

com still my #1 mc, though