Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectIs it OK if I call him a Tom?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=48204&mesg_id=48280
48280, Is it OK if I call him a Tom?
Posted by bentagain, Tue Aug-10-10 07:27 AM
I already said Good is subjective...so of course its up to me what good art is, thats what subjective means. Thank you captain obvious.

What would Red Sox fans call Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs, and Johnny Damon? Probably sellouts

And there were no sellout cries when Kanye traded in his backpack for a Roc-a-Fella chain, skinny jeans, and did his best T-Pain impression for an entire album?

More specifically...

I recall a whole lot of Beatles fans being outraged by Nike's use of Revolution in a TV advertisement. According to you guys, their fans should have been like good for them, make your money Beatles. But as I remember it they were upset due to their feeling the message and/or intent for writing a song like Revolution was lost in an attempt to sell sneakers. Aren't they trying to preserve the integrity of the artist by voicing their disdain?

It seems like this whole discussion has turned into the acceptability of the term sellout, so I'll just call him a Tom if that helps you sleep better at night. Shit, he already has the bowtie...