Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectYou almost got to where I was trying to go...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=48204&mesg_id=48272
48272, You almost got to where I was trying to go...
Posted by bentagain, Mon Aug-09-10 01:46 PM
with the audience interpretation bit.

I was so moved by a song a few years ago, it made me consider my own definition of art and what makes an artist. The answer I derived was true art evokes an emotion or an idea in the observer, subsequently good art evokes a desired emotion or a desired idea with the subjective word good determined by said observer. When I listened to Common's earlier artistic expressions I considered it good art as it made me feel and think about things I wanted to think and feel. His work lately doesn't do it for me anymore, and that was what I was expressing in the OP, exactly the feeling he inspired in me when I saw the Gatorade commercial.

of course, you have to get a couple of backhanded comments in. internet thugs...

another question for you and lexx. responding to this post and complaining about me complaining, what's the difference? aren't you doing exactly what you're accusing me of? It would be easy for me to say , I'm tired of cats telling me I can't say this or that about so and so, instead I've responded to your responses with tact in an effort to further explain my point of view at the risk of being further subjected to your 3rd grade remarks.